• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Redding 338 die sets and Forster co-ax

ironsight1000yard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Trying to get better die sets but no experience with Redding dies. I have only used Lee and Hornady so far for 223, 308, 6.5cm and Swedish 6.5.

Tried to learn more on YouTube and found one guy talking about he has to use shell holder with different height to bump shoulder to different length?

So my question is, can I use there Redding dies with Co-ax? Since Co-ax do nos not use a holder?

Specifically I am looking at these 2 sets.
COMPETITION BUSHING NECK DIE SETS

TYPE S MATCH BUSHING NECK DIE SETS

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I’d save your money and look elsewhere personally, I’m just not a fan of Redding, and I own many many sets. I just don’t buy them anymore unless I must. Much better dies available for far less cost.

I see no need for a micrometer sizer(your first link), just wasting (a lot) money.

Their micrometer seaters are very tall. Kinda depends on which .338 your talking about, but my Redding 338 Lapua micrometer seater does not work in a co-ax because the handle will not clear the micrometer. My 6BR clears easily though, because it’s much shorter. That part isn’t unique to Redding though, there just isn’t a lot of rum in the Co-ax handle. My Hornady match micrometer seaters don’t work either in the longer cases.

Also, you can convert your co-ax to use standard shell holders if you wish. I use Redding comp shell holders in this way. Very nice product.

Not sure what your application is, but neck sizing is stupid, and you’re almost certainly better off full length sizing.

Reactions: ironsight1000yard
Yeah I thought the micro seat might not clear the handle as well.

If you don't use Redding for 338 what do you use?

I want to neck size mainly because I get more use from the brass?

I’d save your money and look elsewhere personally, I’m just not a fan of Redding, and I own many many sets. I just don’t buy them anymore unless I must. Much better dies available for far less cost.

I see no need for a micrometer sizer(your first link), just wasting (a lot) money.

Their micrometer seaters are very tall. Kinda depends on which .338 your talking about, but my Redding 338 Lapua micrometer seater does not work in a co-ax because the handle will not clear the micrometer. My 6BR clears easily though, because it’s much shorter. That part isn’t unique to Redding though, there just isn’t a lot of rum in the Co-ax handle. My Hornady match micrometer seaters don’t work either in the longer cases.

Also, you can convert your co-ax to use standard shell holders if you wish. I use Redding comp shell holders in this way. Very nice product.

Not sure what your application is, but neck sizing is stupid, and you’re almost certainly better off full length sizing.

Yeah I thought the micro seat might not clear the handle as well.

If you don't use Redding for 338 what do you use?

I want to neck size mainly because I get more use from the brass?

I don’t shoot 338 any more, as I switched to 300 Norma, so never replaced that die. If I did it would be a Hornady match set.

Full length sizing got a poor reputation from Improper use of the dies. Usually involves screwing the die all the way to the shell holder and sizing away, which results is over sizing to a large degree. If you want your gun to function all the time, you should be FL sizing. Die setup to minimally bump the shoulder back (~.002) will ensure very long case life.

Steel head is right, The Forster Ultra Seating dies are my favorite because the dial is easier to see. But performance wise the Redding Comp Seaters work great as well.
My 7mm RM had very minimal runout when using the Redding Comp. set. (Which works on the Co-Ax perfect)
I use the Redding Comp Neck sizing dies for all my Calibers. I haven’t gotten it in 338 LM yet tho.

Here is the Forster Ultra Seater Die clearance

F4981896-5720-4FE3-9437-4D2EF8DC332D.jpeg

All my Redding micrometer dies clear the COAX handle. Including the .338LM neck sizing and seating micrometer dies. I like them, and have nothing to complain about re: Redding.