Redding LR-1000 powder measure

marc308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2010
Southington, CT
I've searched this site and the internet and I haven't seen much about it. I was also looking at Redding's BR-30 measure until I read that the metering chamber is ideally designed for 30gr drops. About the only info I got was that the LR-1000 has the same type of metering chamber as the BR-30 but it's designed for larger powder drops, don't know what size though.

I will be reloading .308's and I'm just starting to buy equipment now. I'd rather buy once and cry once, so if there are better options please let me know. So far I have a Forster Co-Ax press, RCBS 1010 scale, and a Redding powder trickler. I am leaning towards Redding dies too.

Re: Redding LR-1000 powder measure

not a bad powder drop. like the redding s dies and a forster benchrest dies. i have an rcbs powder measure. as long as ur guna drop lite and then trickle up it really doesnt matter what powder measure you use.

Harrells is one of the top names that keep coming up. Ever thought about a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo? I've got one and it seems to be working good. Although I'd like to get a spare scale to double check.

I just switched to a chargemaster after years of using a redding powder drop, and it was a really good move on my part

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not a bad powder drop. like the redding s dies and a forster benchrest dies. i have an rcbs powder measure. as long as ur guna drop lite and then trickle up it really doesnt matter what powder measure you use. </div></div>

aloreman, I do plan to trickle up, and I agree that the powder measure doesn't matter much using that method. I keep trying to convince myself that all I need is a basic measure, but I have never regretted purchasing high quality stuff.

A RCBS Uniflo will do just fine for throwing low and trickling up, it also works pretty good for throwing blasting ammo charges, cost is less than a Redding.

I really like my harrels measure. The more I use it the more I like it. Spendy up front, but well worth it for me.

I throw with the BR-30 and have little issue with RL15 and Varget within a +- tenth of a grain in the 43-45grain range. I load with a Gempro 250 and Redding trickler and find that it takes alittle back and forth to get to the hundreths that the scale measures to. I like the BR-30 though.

Here is a reply I got directly from Redding to the same basic question I asked here:

I am a very big fan of the BR-30. The LR-1000 goes to 140 Grains for the bigger bore rifles. Run the BR-30 an you should be fine or even use the old benchrest trick and drop 2 1/2 charges . This actually averages and will provide even more consistent loads.

The LR is most accurate in the 90-100 gr area. The BR will throw what you want as well with a single charge but sometime 2 is better. Always be sure to remember and be careful when using a double drop method.

I did not know about double dropping. Makes perfect sense though. I'm going to give this a try and see if there is any difference for me.