• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading 9mm with 147gr

Rootshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
South Florida
I've decided to move from rifle reloading to now doing some pistol. I tried my hand at loading a some 9mm rounds using Shell Shock NAS3 cases, Federal 200M primers, Alliant Power Pistol powder, and Zero 147 HP bullets at 1.145" OAL. I loaded up 50 rounds at 4.0gr Power Pistol and just got back from shooting them. Observations....

In my Grand Power Xcalibur, the rounds fed and fired flawlessly. The recoil was extremely smooth / buttery - I could shoot this all day. Very accurate. Slide locked back consistently but just barely. There were two cases where I ejected a mag and the slide closed. I've never seen this before. I'm using the "standard" strength recoil spring.

In my HK P7M8 the rounds fed and fired flawlessly. Accuracy was the best I've ever seen. The slide consistently did not lock open on the last shot. The recoil impulse felt on par or stronger than the normal 115gr range ammo.

I'm thinking that 4.0gr is a tad weak and I'm going to go up to 4.2gr to increase reliability. I think I'm still within safety margins both because I don't see any pressure signs and because the NAS3 cases can deal with higher pressures. I'm paper punching / fun shooting and want an accurate and reliable round with reduced recoil. I'd love some advice from more experienced pistol shooters on tuning this load.

I have different recoil springs for my pistols. One for a duty type ammo and one for a 130pf 124 gr load that I like for USPSA. I use acme coated lead bullets.

If you're going to shoot USPSA, run the ammo over the chrono and try to get 130-135 power factor then tune your recoil spring so the slide locks back, that way you have a little wiggle room for speed. I used to shoot a tanfoglio stock2. It shoots really flat. I use 4.8gr Vectan BA9 though, and it shoots real nice.

For your situation, I would still tune the gun with the recoil spring. If the gun is doing what you want otherwise, just lower the spring pressure by a lbs or 2. Wolff sells spring kits for pistols. Has a bunch of springs, that way you can test a bit.

Aliant Sport Pistol it THE powder to run for 9mm in USPSA and IDPA. I tried 147s in my Glock 34, but the slide is a little slow cycling as I feel that I'm waiting a little on the sights to settle before ripping off the 2nd round of a double tap. 135 gr bullets seem to be the sweet spot between softness and slide speed that is fast enough for fast shooters. I load 3.6 gr of Sport Pistol powder under Bayou 135 gr RN at 1.135" for 1020 fps. This is definitely above the minor power factor floor, but it cycles remarkably flat with the factory G34 gen 4 dual recoil spring. If I try to download close to the 925 fps minor power factor floor, I get stoppages from not enough energy to run the slide.

Out of curiosity, what is the cost per round to load 147gr 9mm? I’ve been buying Blazer Brass 147gr for 15.9 cents per round lately, I was buying American Eagle 147gr for 17.5 cents per round prior. I’m shooting FMJ in Glock barrels, shouldn’t run lead due to polygonal rifling, although that may not be the case on the Gen 5 with their different barrel.

Out of curiosity, what is the cost per round to load 147gr 9mm? I’ve been buying Blazer Brass 147gr for 15.9 cents per round lately, I was buying American Eagle 147gr for 17.5 cents per round prior. I’m shooting FMJ in Glock barrels, shouldn’t run lead due to polygonal rifling, although that may not be the case on the Gen 5 with their different barrel.

I ran coated lead a ton in my polygonal rifles tanfoglios. They just lead up a little quicker, you just clean it a bit more often is all. I would clean it out every match and never had a problem. I was down to like 8 or 9 cents a round. I would do ny best to hit sales and buy projectiles in BULK.

Edit:
Acme has a code for 20% off "9124"

At normal prices:
$0.05 per bullet
$0.02 per powder drop (depending on powder)
$0.02 per primer
I pick up free range brass.

I buy primers 10k at a time, and powder by the keg when places run sales, so I can do maybe 1 cent cheaper if I wait to buy at the right time.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Very useful advice. I was desperately searching through my loads of shooting related crap for my reduced power spring for the Xcalibur but couldn't find the damned thing :( I'll try to dig up some Alliant Sport Pistol powder and give that a try when I run out of Power Pistol.

On the cost question, I was able to get 500 Zero 147gr HP for $59.95 delivered ($.12). 500 NAS3 cases were $76.50 delivered ($.153). 1000 Federal 200M primers were about $45 ($.045). Powder cost is negligible, so that puts my cost at $.318 per round. Sounds like I'm not saving any money here :)

I'll have to try the Blazer Brass 147gr rounds if they are that cheap.....assuming I can find them in a store since CA has now made mail order illegal :(

Agree completely. It makes no economic sense to load 9mm.

Frankly, I just have a desire to make sure I'm not dependent on buying loaded ammo from the store - especially given how difficult CA is making this nowadays. I'll keep buying, but like the peace of mind that I have dies and material to be independent. I also enjoy experimenting to see if I can get more accuracy than factory ammo and manage recoil.

Based on testing with my PCC I picked the 145 RN Polymer coated with Titegroup...also tried polymer coated 135, 124 and 115gr.

Clays is my choice for various handguns but it didn't perform well in my PCC.

HS6 for full house loads with 115 JHP...don't have any use for them but they are really something out of a 16" barrel.

Honestly, with the way california is going, I started rolling my own ammo like 6 years ago and havent looked back. Even 9mm. You just need to start brass whoring at the range and pick up everyone's empties. That cuts cost significantly. Plus, the zero bullets are nice, but at that price, nah. Acme has some of the least expensive around. Even 147s arent more than 6 cents if you buy in big enough bulk, like 2500.

Polygonal rifled barrels in modern pistols seem to be 50/50 whether they get buildup with plated bullets or not. I think it depends on the actual bore size for a good gas seal. 9mm barrel bore size from various manufacturers have been known run anywhere from .354"- .357". Too loose of a fit with the bullet, and you will get buildup. I have two G34s gen 4s in which I can shoot Bayou coated bullets pretty much indefinitely without buildup. My little G42 on the other hand, gets enough buildup after 50 rounds to where accuracy gets pretty bad. This is with .356" sized bullets. Buy a sample pack of 100-200 and see if your polygonal barrel likes them or not after about 20-30 rounds. FWIW, my cost per 9mm round with range pickup brass is 12-13 cents per round. Even though I'm at 138,000 power factor with my 135gr Bayous, they still run softer and flatter than any off the shelf 115gr fodder. Faster burning powders like Sport Pistol will have less recoil from ejecta than slower burning Power Pistol or HS6.

Here's a link to a local supplier that I shoot IDPA with. These are 147gr Berry's copper plated loaded to minor power factor strength.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Here's a link to a local supplier that I shoot IDPA with. These are 147gr Berry's copper plated loaded to minor power factor strength.

Berrys is what I use. Why do I load 9mm ? Because I have a Dillon and it takes like 30 min to crank out an ammo can full. Sure I'm only saving a few cents a round but I can load up or down my 9mm to my liking.

Reactions: gigamortis
Did someone say Dillon?

20181207_171455.jpg20181207_171418.jpg

Cool gear....how many rounds of 9mm would you have to load to cover that investment from the few pennies you would save rolling your own?

Dunno...never thought about tbho.
Never really considered it an investment either really I guess.... I just shoot alot.
??. Some time way back I lost the feeling for factory stuff I guess and these guys just help keep em coming.

Cool gear....how many rounds of 9mm would you have to load to cover that investment from the few pennies you would save rolling your own?

Lol you think we load just 9mm? I'm about to sling a couple thousand 223 and 6.5 Creed tonight with about 500 300wm as a chaser.

Common Mr kak and lmt ar guy what's money to you?

20190905_154255.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Shifty6BR
I know, I know, was just making the point that reloading 9mm is pointless unless you shoot tens of thousands of rounds of the stuff regularly. I'm at the tipping point, myself, frankly. I am up to around 2,000 rounds a month of the stuff, so maybe with 9mm alone I could justify the investment in the gear. Maybe not.

Even though I may not be saving that much reloading vs buying off the shelf for 9mm, my home brew loads are softer hitting and easier on the barrels. I also shoot .45 in the CDP division of IDPA during the cooler months, so reloading .45 is quite a savings. Once you get a progressive press, you will surely branch out into other calibers eventually.

I know, I know, was just making the point that reloading 9mm is pointless unless you shoot tens of thousands of rounds of the stuff regularly. I'm at the tipping point, myself, frankly. I am up to around 2,000 rounds a month of the stuff, so maybe with 9mm alone I could justify the investment in the gear. Maybe not.

It depends on what you use. If you buy a 1050, it will take a long ass time to recoup the cost.

I personally went with a Lee Loadmaster. 9mm all in price was under 500. But it's not totally set up or as nice as the dillon. You need to set the unit up yourself.

Reactions: Rootshot
Thank you all for your replies. Very useful advice. I was desperately searching through my loads of shooting related crap for my reduced power spring for the Xcalibur but couldn't find the damned thing :( I'll try to dig up some Alliant Sport Pistol powder and give that a try when I run out of Power Pistol.

On the cost question, I was able to get 500 Zero 147gr HP for $59.95 delivered ($.12). 500 NAS3 cases were $76.50 delivered ($.153). 1000 Federal 200M primers were about $45 ($.045). Powder cost is negligible, so that puts my cost at $.318 per round. Sounds like I'm not saving any money here :)

I'll have to try the Blazer Brass 147gr rounds if they are that cheap.....assuming I can find them in a store since CA has now made mail order illegal :(

I have the prime ammo membership that drops another 8% off the published price, but even at $.18 per round it’s a good deal.

I've tested a lot of different 9mm minor loads when I was shooting USPSA. For performance my favorite (by far) is Vihtavouri N320, and 147 gr MG CMJ's. (I wouldn't dare call it an "economical" recipe however.)

Might I also recommend this website for pistol reloading advice: forums.brianenos.com

Last edited:

I came here looking for some load data. What a difference a year makes!

Reactions: Laughing_Jackal
That 13 cent norm will be 20-25 cents when you run out. I loaded up all my 9mm stuff back in 2020. I’m still sitting on maybe 4000 rounds that costed 3 cents a primer with free brass, a cent or two of titegroup each and maybe 7 cents a projectile of berrys and other cheap plated stuff. Not looking forward to having to buy components again. Really thought we would have reached the supply/demand balance by now!