• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading for .308 with suppressor

raginbullsht

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2009
Ohio
I have been reloading for about a year now (strictly .223) and now I am going to be starting with .308. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer

-what makes a round Match grade?
-what should I do to help prevent <span style="font-weight: bold">baffle strikes</span>? (will be using it on .22, .223 & .308)

My current tools for reloading is
RCBS chargemaster for powder
Forster hand trimmer
Lee 4 stage progressive (with progressive pin pulled for hand loading only)
Lee dies

Mostly shoot Hornady or Sierra bullets
Tend to keep within book powder ranges
Using once fired brass for .223 and only new brass for .308

Re: Reloading for .308 with suppressor

I don't know what makes a round match grade. I know that if you are reloading properly, your rounds should be better than factory match ammo, and it took me a while to get there. I guess you could get into the whole brass prep routine if you want to get very detail oriented.

The easiest way to prevent baffle strikes is to ensure that your barrel is threaded properly. I would also ensure that you are shooting the correct weight bullets for the twist of your rifle, but I doubt you would have a problem with that in .308.

Good luck, shooting suppressed is quite a bit of fun.

Best,
Josh

Re: Reloading for .308 with suppressor

My definition of Match grade ammo is "The consistency of your individual components assembled precisely to provide you repeatable, predictable and accurate results". You can get as anal as you want and the more anal you are the closer one round will match the next round you make. This comes down to case prep, case sorting, Bullet sorting and exact powder measurement.

Juan