• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading for the 7 PRC

wyattgtx

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2024
Texas
What kind of luck are you guys having reloading for the 7 PRC? What powder and bullets are you guys having the best luck with and what velocities are you getting? I am running a 26” barrel with a suppressor and I’m seeing 2850 with 1 moa in accuracy with factory Hornady 175 ELD-Xs.

it has its own thread already

Reactions: RegionRat
I am running a 26” barrel with a suppressor and I’m seeing 2850 with 1 moa in accuracy with factory Hornady 175 ELD-Xs.
Just for clarity, are you indirectly saying you think this is good or bad, so you want to study alternatives to improve?

Speed or target performance, or both?

Just for perspective, your 175 @ 2850 is giving you 4280 Joules or 3157 ft*lbs
To get this to 3000 fps you would need an additional 341 ft*lbs worth of energy, which is like adding the equivalent of a 9mm to the load.

There was lots of hype and marketing when the 7 PRC was released, and after a while there were many folks who thought they should get higher speeds with their 180s too.

If your rig is getting 2850 and an honest 1 MOA, that is better than the average that I have seen. Not telling you to settle, but for perspective many folks in marketing are known to say things that they know are not true.

To get this up to speed (62KSI) you will need to increase the charge with handloads, or find some of the factory loads where they already did this. There was some ammo at first that was fast and later some that was slower, and recently it is getting faster again. YMMV

26 " 7prc Christensen MPR carbon barrel. 180 eldm, New not sized ADG brass, Retumbo 69.0 grain (mid 90s temp), BR2, 13ths of lands. 3,014 fps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240820_223400_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240820_223400_YouTube.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 30