• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading kit or self chose combination?

Kenny Marhoffer

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Kentucky
If you were going to get started in the reloading world. Would you purchase a kit or purchase a self chosen selection of componenets to make the full outfit? I see that some of the components to the kits I have been looking at are lacking on quality to keep the price down on the kit. So, instead of buying the kit and having to re-buy the components that are lacking it seems better to select all components by personal rating. If you were going to so this (which just like rifles everyone is brand loyal) what brand would you look to for supplies and what exactly do you need in a beginner/mid level reloading kit. I'd rather buy something that I can grow into for the future so that I don't get as much static as I do when I buy guns from the wife. I looked for forum strands on this and came up with a little information so I wanted to put this out there. I am wanting to reload nothing special, 35 Rem, .308 Win and .223 Rem. no handguns for now if that takes a special setup.

Re: Reloading kit or self chose combination?

I would purchase individual components, but that can be difficult if your new to reloading and haven't developed a preference. Everyone's reloading set up I've seen is a mixture of several brands. Don't worry about making the perfect decision on every component, because your going to wind up changing your preferences and upgrading components in the future. This is especially true if your trying to do it on the cheap, because you going to buy components that do the job until you can afford to replace it with a better higher quality components in the future. A kit is not a bad way to go. It simplifies the decisions for you.

There's nothing wrong with the Rock Chucker press. Not sure what the kit consists of. I'm personally a fan of Forster, but Forster is expensive.

any of the single stage presses are fine. good quality dies and a good scale are key components. but you will need a decent set of calipers you can find them for $25 bucks and a cheap lee hand primer. i could go on with quite a list. but the quality of your ammo is going to come form good quality dies and a good scale.

I started using the Lee Loadmaster progressive press a few years ago and with the exception of priming issues. It has worked really well for 9mm, .45ACP, .223, .303 British and .308. I started using the Lee AutoPrime because it seats the primers more consistantly. For $200 you get the whole set up for a single caliber. I got the .45ACP setup originally. If you take the time to set everything up, it has all the same features of alot more expensive setups. There are great uTube videos that will help in the alignment of the dies and vise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Land Surveyor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you were going to get started in the reloading world. Would you purchase a kit or purchase a self chosen selection of componenets to make the full outfit? I see that some of the components to the kits I have been looking at are lacking on quality to keep the price down on the kit. So, instead of buying the kit and having to re-buy the components that are lacking it seems better to select all components by personal rating.</div></div>

For the most part, I agree with your sentiment. However, there are kits out there that are stocked wtih god components. For example, the Boss Pro Pack from Redding only has one tool that I don't use (the neck brush). To this kiit, I added an RCBS universal priming tool, and a set of Lee case trimmers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you were going to so this (which just like rifles everyone is brand loyal) what brand would you look to for supplies and what exactly do you need in a beginner/mid level reloading kit. I'd rather buy something that I can grow into for the future so that I don't get as much static as I do when I buy guns from the wife. </div></div>

Look for (and at) quality components. Go to the local shooting store and look over the components in the kit, and look over the components from other manfuactures and compare the ruggedness and craftsmanship of the components. If the "other" guys components add up to more than 5%-10% of the cost of the kit, go separate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richard_cranium</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would purchase individual components, but that can be difficult if your new to reloading and haven't developed a preference. Everyone's reloading set up I've seen is a mixture of several brands. Don't worry about making the perfect decision on every component, because your going to wind up changing your preferences and upgrading components in the future. This is especially true if your trying to do it on the cheap, because you going to buy components that do the job until you can afford to replace it with a better higher quality components in the future. A kit is not a bad way to go. It simplifies the decisions for you. </div></div>

+1, When I started what I wanted and what was available were two different things so I just got what I could regardless of brand. I've change a couple things here and there. but I seem to get good results with fairly inexpensive stuff

No single manufacturer has best-in-class tools for every reloading task. Getting a kit is fine to start out with, but most won't end up with it. That's one advantage of the less expensive kits from Lee, and a disadvantage of the more expensive kits from Redding, RCBS, etc.

Andy

A kit is one manufacturers list of things they think you need. I just got started in reloading, and by reading, shopping online, asking the right questions and buying right the first time, I have a great setup. I'm still procuring one piece at a time, but I get exactly what I want-- not what someone else says I want.

RCBS rockchucker kit is a great way to start.

I started out with it and you can get decent hand loads going with it.

However I believe it is still worthwhile to buy a powder trickler, and hornady headspace/comparitor/oal guages along with digital calipers to really get the ball rolling.

I have since added other things but I still use my rockchucker press.

"I see that some of the components to the kits I have been looking at are lacking on quality... If you were going to so this (which just like rifles everyone is brand loyal) what brand would you look to for supplies and what exactly do you need in a beginner/mid level reloading kit."

Okay, IF I were just getting started I'd get a kit. But, I'm not getting started and I've learned a lot about the tools of the trade in the last 45 years. I have a few minutes of slack now so you get the load. Note that I don't tell you what "works for me". What I use after all these years is irrelivant for a noob, what I will suggest is what I would buy for my brother if he was just starting out.

Kit's are good in that they keep the noob from having to make a lot of choices. That's actually okay because ALL of our tool makers provide excellant "quality" stuff, none of it's "junk". Seems what many "learned" loaders love is what has worked for them; often only know about what they use and they may not have clue about other brands. And sometimes the suggestions get a bit snobbish and cost oriented. I never suggest kits only because, as has been correctly said, no maker has a lock on the "best" designs or user features. And paying more than is needed is a foolish exercise, price is NOT a valid guide for what's "best".

A noob's basic needs are as stringent as the old hands. Old hands often add a lot of extra fluff stuff but the better basic choices won't need replacing at all. That said, the current better choices of <span style="text-decoration: underline">basic</span> needs for both quality and price are:

1. Press - Lee's Classic Cast single stage; massively strong, precisely machined, excellant user features.
2. Dies - Lee's, rifle or pistol. You MAY want Redding/Forster premium dies eventually but it will be a long time before your skills exceed what you can do with Lee's.
3. Powder measure - Redding OR Lee's "Perfect" adjustable, both with a bench stand (not mounted on the press or edge of your bench).
4. Scale - RCBS 505 or Dillon beam scale
5. Powder trickler (for rifle loading) Redding or Hornady
6. Case trimmer - Lee's
7. Chamfer/debur tool - RCBS or Lyman, etc, "rocket ship" type.
8. Loading blocks (2ea for each major caliber - rifle/pistol) and a Powder funnel, any brand will do nicely.
9. Hand primer tool (if you want it) - Lee Autoprime, and get their full shell holder kit too.
10. Loading manual - Lee, Hornady, Lyman. And you really <span style="text-decoration: underline">don't</span> need more than one, us hard-core reloading geeks often have 10-30 (me) but extras can be more cofusing than help for noobs.
11. Bullet Puller - RCBS' Impact type, it's MUCH more versatile than any collet type puller.
12. Precision Caliper - The low cost Chinese 6" Stainless Steel dial types are all made in the same Chink shop (MidwayUSA, Harbor Freight Tools, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc.), and all of them are quite good for loading needs. Get the least costly you can find, HFT usually has them on "sale" for $12-15.
13. Shell holders - What ever, they interchage by brand. (Lee's "Pacemaker" and "Delux" die sets include a "free" shell holder and that signficantly cuts the cost for each cartridge you load for.)

++++ I LEFT OUT - Case sizing lube, get Imperial Die Wax (Redding) or Hornady Unique, apply them with your finger tips.

It rarely gets mentioned but the most important reloading "tool" you can have is a sturdy bench at the right height and large enough to be comfortable with. You will likely have to build it yourself so make it as high as your elbows when standing and use a bar stool when you want to sit. Then elevate your press enough so you can fully depress the lever without bending over any at all, your back will appreciate that. (And make a shelf for your scale so it sits about chin high for easy and fast reading.)

I consider a bench top of 20" by 4' to be a minimum. Longer and as much as 4" wider is even better if you will ever want to load for shotshells and/or work on your guns at the same bench; mine is 8' and it's none to long.
-------------------------------------------

Now, to continue with some "nice to have" items:

14. Case Tumbler - Lyman 1200 is rational priced, has a good ball bearing motor and does a good job. Media type matters not, nor do you need any glitzy polish for an artifical shine.
15. Case & Bullet Seating Gage (for rifle) - Hornady's LnL case and bullet tools that mount on your dial caliper jaws.
16. Concentricity gage (for rifle) - Sinclair International, get the less costly dial indicator.
17. Primer pocket uniformer (for rifle) - any, Sinclair's is good.
18. Primer crimp remover (for military cases) - Lyman's reamer
19. Micrometer, 1" - for more precise measuring of bullets, etc, any of the inexpensive Chink types, Harbor Freight again.
20. Case inside neck lubing - Sinclair's powdered lube kit.

Fuzzball said it... unless someone tells me they want the best, or high quality right off the bat, i usually recomend a kit to start with and maybe a few little extras.

You generally learn more about reloading the more you read, especially on forums such as this one.

In time if you find your gear doesnt exactly cut it then you might look into upgrading.

My opinion, don't get a kit. Unless you have an unlimited budget- then get like the best kit $$$$$ can buy. You need to get the BEST you can afford of some items, and can REALLY SKIMP on others.

If you get a kit, it will be all on the same level. Inadequate here, an waste of money there.

I'll tell you more of my advice if you ask, but in short
for example- reloading presses: Get an expensive one a Forster Co-ax About $250, or get a REALLY WELL USED & WORN cheap old o-frame style. Mine off e-bay was $20. Why? you want the ram to have play/slop in the bore so the DIE can guide the case in on center line, not the ram forcing it in slightly off center. On a common quality new press, by the time they machine in where the shell holder sits, the ram itself, the hole the ram goes in and the hole the die threads in- you have 4 separate places that if they are not machined ****PERFECT**** you get misalignment.

Spend big on powder scales, CHEAP on digital calipers, BIG on powder measure, CHEAP on powder trickler, BIG on dies, cheap on neck deburring tool see???

happy to help,
Tres

If you only have access to one side of your bench, then 4' is about as short as you want. Deeper than 24" is seldom useful. I have access to all sides of my 28" x 22" bench, and it is plenty for reloading. Loaded down with brass, bullets, powder and tools, it is rock solid too.

Here are some of my favorite reloading tools (but I did not start out with most of them):

Forster Co-Ax press
Huntington Compac hand press
RCBS Universal hand primer
LE Wilson trimmer for rifle
Lee trimmer for pistol (when needed)
Hornady cam-lock bullet puller
RCBS QC Uniflow PM
Forster or Hornady die lock rings
Forster rifle die sets
Hornady pistol die sets
Lyman M-type expander dies
Lee collet-type dies for neck sizing and crimping

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Land Surveyor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather buy something that I can grow into for the future so that I don't get as much static as I do when I buy guns from the wife. </div></div>

Forster Co-Ax press
Forster trimmer for rifle
Redding BR powder measure
Forster rifle die sets
RCBS 505 scale

All of this stuff has replaced "kit" stuff for me, and all of it should last longer than I will. If I decide to quit reloading, all of it will bring a decent price as long as I keep it in good condition.

personally I would pick out components for my reloading bench.

Hornady LnL press (with the 1000 free bullet rebate ) it makes this press just a bit over 300.
Dies and shellplate
RCBS trim mate, digital calipers
(if your reloading bottleneck brass) possum hollow trimmer w/ drill attachment
Get an digital scale. Seriously. its 2010.

"Get an digital scale. Seriously. its 2010."

I just have to wonder, no matter the date, how/why is a quirky and over-priced little electonic gismo better or more dependable than long proven precision gravity driven beam scales for weighing powder (which IS, after all, the primary purpose of a reloading scale)?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Get an digital scale. Seriously. its 2010."

I just have to wonder, no matter the date, how/why is a quirky and over-priced little electonic gismo better or more dependable than long proven precision gravity driven beam scales for weighing powder (which IS, after all, the primary purpose of a reloading scale)?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I don't necessarily agree with the quote in the first line, but here is my take...If you get some precision check weights, which you should have for ANY scale, you will be fine. I like my chargemaster because I can do other operations while it is throwing a new charge. It cuts time off the entire process.

Balance beams are fine, and I would go to a tune beam if I wanted single granule accuracy. The DI MXX-123 scale is also tempting, but for that money, I would get a tuned balance beam and a automatic trickler. When I can shoot the difference I just might do it.

There is merit to both.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fattire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get an digital scale. Seriously. its 2010.
</div></div>

Got one.
You need a spare?
grin.gif

" I like my chargemaster because I can do other operations while it is throwing a new charge. It cuts time off the entire process. "

Everyone to his own tastes but a Chargemaster is more than a bit different from a digital scale in the OP's question, is it not? Using factory ammo would REALLY cut time off the entire process but time saving isn't a major consideration in my reloading!

I have ONE scale test weight of 260.9 gr. but rarely use it. When I do, it reads dead on, exactly the same as it did when I bought the scale and included weight in '65, and it's still going. (Anyone want to bet their New! Modern! Digital! scale will match that?) And, in all those years and the reloaders I've known, I've never met any other reloader with a set of check weights for his beam scale. But I'd sure as he77 have them if I had to use a digital!

Fuzz,

This was not meant to start a contest based on semantics. The OP asked for options, I gave the chargemaster as one that has helped me. I also mention the MXX-123, which is a straight digital scale.

Factory ammo would cut time off the process, but it also costs more for the same amount of rounds and I can run what I want if I handload.

This is not a hit on you, but it sounds as if you may be a bit older and have a touch more time on your hands. For me, being able to seat a projo while the next charge is trickling is great.

I understand that the beam scales can be made and tuned to be repeatably accurate to a single granule. That's great. I still think having check weights is a great idea no matter what.

When I said I "did not necessarily agree with the quote in the first line", I was not speaking of what you wrote, but about the quote you referenced. I have a balance beam, but it does not get used much. I periodically check my chargemaster throws and it is right on 99% of the time. When it is not, I tare the machine. People have to figure out what works for them and I provided another option with reasons why. It's fine to differ in opinion, but different needs demand different equipment.

Josh

This is coming from a "new" reloader, so take it for what it's worth. Most of these guys have a lot more experience at it than I...

But...my take is this site is heavily weighted towards precision shooting- and so will be the recommendations you're going to get.

There seems to be great weight given to single stage presses over turret/progressive presses. Again- because of the precision aspect. If you're willing to sacrifice some precision for speed- as I am- then a turret or progressive, case-activated powder drop is worthy of consideration.

I reload 500 rounds a month- and that still takes two full afternoons on the Hornady AP I purchased on the recommendation of the reloading supplier I purchased my gear from. Now, I load the progressive one shell at a time still for better QC, checking every 3 or 4 powder throws and OAL's for accuracy- but I wouldn't want to do it on a single stage without the added speed of a turret, even if it's a single stage turret and not a progressive.

If you're doing volume, you should consider the turret presses.

"When I said I "did not necessarily agree with the quote in the first line", I was not speaking of what you wrote, but about the quote you referenced."

No contest, I understood that and don't have my panties in a wad over a simple difference in opinon. But both you and I have vastly different needs and concerns from any noob.

The Suveyor has a lot to learn before he begins being concerned about measuring powder to a kernel or needs to produce 500 rounds an hour; I suspect we "old hands" sometimes forget that with our personal advise. I was trying to give the OP an expanded view that justifies what I had suggested and keep it all in perspective to what appears to be HIS needs, not mine.