• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Reloading Kits

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I've been doing some reading and research, I plan to get to reloading at some point in the future.

Would you recommend any reloading kits? I.E. The Hornady Lock N Load kit, etc...

Let's assume I want to efficiently load 50 - 100 rounds a few times a month for use in a Remington 700 1:10 20" barrel, generally for target shooting at 200 yards.

On a side note, do I need 175gr bullets for MOA groups at that range, or will a lower weight suffice? I know for reaching out to the 700 yard line I should 175gr ammo on hand.

Re: Reloading Kits

There several good kits available, just look at the features and decide which on is a better fit for you. Some presses are compact, and aluminum, others are cast iron. Some have priming features, others can be converted to a turret.

For the type of reloading you will be doing, a nice single stage press kit is all you need. IMO the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit will be a good start. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

As for the bullet weight, if you are shooting shy of 600 then the 168 HNDY match or Nosler custom comps will work great from an SPS-T 1:12 20" tube. You can get Nosler blems at SPS on the super cheap. http://shootersproshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71_101_107

Of all the nosler blems I purchased, none were deformed, they usually have discoloration or minor scratches. In some cases there is nothing wrong with them, just simply over runs.

http://shootersproshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71_101_107

http://www.nosler.com/what-is-a-factory-second-bullet.aspx

Personally, I am an RCBS RockChucker guy and have opted to by most of my other parts individually. I use Redding Competition dies for example.

RCBS would be a great setup to look at though for starters.

As for 175gr..you don't need the heavier bullets. The lighter 168gr SMKs will reach out to 200 and to 700..I however just stick to the 175s in most cases.

I own a Dillon so I'm familiar with their stuff.

Take a look at the Dillon RL-450. Basically it is a 550 frame that you can use as a glorified turret press. It will make excellent ammo at the quantity you require. If you decide to upgrade you can buy parts to convert it to a 550.

Just an opinion.

Is it worth it to reload, say at 200 rounds per month? Retailed 175gr match ammo (FGMM or SWAmmo) comes in at about $1/rd.

Or should reloading be an approach reserved for tight tolerance precision ammunition?

Its just part of the fun. How much is your time worth? Considering your time is it worth it?

For me, it allows twice as much pistol shooting, ammo is always in my supply cabinet and when I figure out my rifle recipe I will have accurate ammo - hopefully as good as FGGM but that will be tough. Rifle is not as cheap as pistol but its cheaper than store bought (especially in MA)

I got the RCBS rockchucker reloading kit when I started reloading in 1999.

1) Rockchucker press .. don't use it anymore, I now use Forster and Bonanza Co-ax presses with shellholer jaw housing I redesigned and made on my mill, and an RCBS Partner press.
2) "Speer 12" reloading manual... loads in it are a joke, I find my start load with Quickload software.
3) Bottle of glycerin for lube... don't use it any more, now use Redding imperial die wax.
4) Pad for applying glycerin... don't use it, I use my fingers.
5) Brush for lubing inside of case neck.. don't use it any more, I remove the expander ball so I don't need inside lube.
6) Loading tray made of plastic... don't use it. I seat bullets as soon as I charge the case, with a second press.
7) Wire brush for cleaning primer pockets. Don't use it.
8) 5-0-5 scale [Ohaus OEM]... I still use it.
9) Uniflow powder measure.... I still use it.
10) Inside outside neck chamfer [ Wilson OEM] I still use it.
11) case trimmer, don't use it anymore. I now use a Forster case trimmer or RCBS 3 way in the vertical mill
12) Funnel, don't use it, I use a Frankfort Arsenal or MTM funnel.

Other stuff I use not cross referenced to the kit:
1) Wilson Case gauge
2) Sinclair concentricity gauge
3) Lyman Moly coating kit, but with steel BBs and magnetic separation
4) Vibrators, ultra sound, and stainless steel media in a tumbler for cleaning
5) Forster and Lee priming tools
6) Lee Collet neck dies polished in my lathe.
7) Forster FL dies with necks honed out in Forster's Hardinge lathes.
8) Forster seating dies with seater stem polished on my lathe
9) Dial calipers
10) Enco set of pin gauges .0610" to .2500"
11) Enco set of pin gauges .2510" - .5000"
12) Optivisor magnifier headset
13) Dillon Super Swage 600 military crimp remover
14) Lux lamp magnifier
15) Bullets, brass, primers, and powder
16) Berry's bullets plastic ammo boxes
17) 3M Post-its for labeling.
18) Forster headspace go-gauge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it worth it to reload, say at 200 rounds per month? Retailed 175gr match ammo (FGMM or SWAmmo) comes in at about $1/rd.

Or should reloading be an approach reserved for tight tolerance precision ammunition? </div></div>

Always the million dollar question. IMHO, reloading is taking shooting to the next level. You research and gain a better understanding of ballistics, and then apply what you have learned. Not only that, you are at liberty to roll whatever you want. With the same case, you can load up ammo for hunting, shooting, plinking, youth. All to within the tightest groups your rifle is capable of.

As a veteran reloader,and knowing what I have learned about reloading over the years,I would build myself a set-up of the best of different brands.As a newby,where you may not even like to reload and quit,the kits will do you a good job.My way would be expensive,but it is what most of us end up with.The Rockchucker set listed is as good as any and will serve you well. Lightman

"Would you recommend any reloading kits? "

I don't, no matter what the barrel length or twist rate is.
wink.gif

I'd tell you what I use and how useful my lathe, etc, is to me but your needs won't be the same as mine and you likely don't have the tools or home shop I have so that info would be irrelivant. But I can tell you for sure a Dillor nor any other progressive press isn't the right choice for what you want to do.

I agree with Lightman. Kits are ok, but its usually better to go with something you put together yourself. I have a Redding Big Boss II, Forster trimmer, Lee powder measure, Redding scale, and I'm about to get a RCBS hand primer and I love them all. Do some searching on here and you can see what everyone likes. I'm new to reloading as well and I'm glad I spent some extra time and money so that I only have to buy once. I will warn you, its addicting and you will probably end up spending way more than you thought you would in the first place.

I started with the basic LEE anniversary kit for about 80 bucks. Worked and loads great ammo.

You can probably load your 308 for 50-60 cents around not counting brass. If it were me and I could get food ammo for 1.00$ a round if probably stick with that for a while.

But if your reallygonna shoot 300 or so a month then I will pay for itself pretty quickly.

my lee breech lock challenger kit got me in the door

then like everything else gun related... the sickness began
smile.gif

because now i can justify getting that next peice of equipment based on "how much money i've saved reloading".

Three biggest lies ever told:
1) check's in the mail
2) its just a cold sore
3) reloading will save you soooooo much $$

laugh.gif