Reloading Press

Ramblin'Man

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2021
OK
I'm planning on purchasing a new press for reloading rifle only. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Dillion 550C and a Forester CO-AX. Any help, including pros and cons, y'all could provide is much appreciated.

You can do precision loading on a 550, but you have to work at it a little, the Coax will be better for that. But you can do large volume handgun/plinking ammo on the 550 a lot more easily than the coax. What will the bulk of your reloading be? If you want to do any volume reloading, the 550 will save you time. If you want the best possible precision rifle loads, the coax will be better.

If you’re an experienced reloader the 550c is more versatile in the sense of mass production, which is a lot of timed saved. While still producing very good ammo. I only loaded precision ammo on mine using a A&D to dump charges.

Down side is it is more expensive, especially once you start adding on all the different heads, shell holders ect. Also I spent a fair amount of time fixing random things like decapped primers going everywhere and crummy consistency on shoulder bumps. I did get it working well but took some work.

The forester is much more straight forward and slower but less to troubleshoot when things go awry. But it’s slower especially if you decap and/or mandrel separate from your sizing die.

I have both and the 550 hasn't been used in probably 10 years, it's not even on my bench anymore. But then again, I only load match grade rifle ammo and don't do blasting ammo. Even was the 550 was my only press, I would only use like 2 stations on the head at a time. Then I wanted way more control so I went with the CoAx.

For better precision ammo and non-standard loading processes, choose the co-ax or something similar.

For speed and throughput, choose the Dillon.

I use the Redding T7 (someone else mentioned it above) and am quite happy with it. The turret allows for quick switching between die types. A Dillon would actually cost me time due to the reloading process I use. Progressive presses lose their advantage when you can't use the progressive part of the equation throughout the process.

You wont make it long before you have both is my prediction.

Because of my work flow and how I do range brass for 223 it gets de capped, cleaned, pockets worked, sized, mandrel, cleaned trim debur and a quick clean.

Then on to the dillon for prime powder seat and slight crimp.

People will scoff at all that bullshit to make an ar plinker round but with range brass, inexpensive bullets I'm getting 1 1/8 groups regular and some better.

The next press I get will be a good turret.

About 8 years ago I sold off my two 650s and my RCBS press due to illness and property taxes that were due. 5 years ago I bout a MEC Marksman and It has been Great. 1 month ago I ordered a Dillon 750 that my wife promised me I could have due to the sale of my 2 650s. A week ago I got a good deal with free shipping on a Redding T7 press that I could not turn down. Now I will have 3 presses to play with.

I also just order a bunch of InLine Fabrication Mounts for the T7 and the future Dillon 750. I went with the quick change plates.

Reactions: Snuby642
I have both.

They both put out excellent quality ammo.

But my 550 puts out the same quality ammo, faster. I load everything from 17 Mach IV to 338 Lapua on it. I use a Prometheus or an autotrickler/FX-120 scale to throw powder when the case pops up through the toolhead. Case and bullet runout is as good or better than the Co-Ax.

My Co-Ax doesent get much use anymore.

Bottom picture is five shots from a 6 Grendel gasser at 610 yards. Ammo loaded on my 550. About 1/4 - 1/3 MOA for elevation.

uoUIPaD.jpg

lu1cB9y.jpg

mQjsYGx.jpg

I have both.

They both put out excellent quality ammo.

But my 550 puts out the same quality ammo, faster. I load everything from 17 Mach IV to 338 Lapua on it. I use a Prometheus or an autotrickler/FX-120 scale to throw powder when the case pops up through the toolhead. Case and bullet runout is as good or better than the Co-Ax.

My Co-Ax doesent get much use anymore.

Bottom picture is five shots from a 6 Grendel gasser at 610 yards. Ammo loaded on my 550. About 1/4 - 1/3 MOA for elevation.

uoUIPaD.jpg

lu1cB9y.jpg

mQjsYGx.jpg
I started out with a Dillon 450 that I never took out of the Box. Too busy with work and Family. I sold it to a Match shooter at our club who only shot 45acp when the announced the 550. I ordered one the week they announced the upgrade to the 550B. I used that 550B for many years and I switched over to the 650s around 2012. That 500B was a Great Machine. I suggest to anyone starting into reloading who wants to get a progressive press to go with the 550.

Can’t live without my Dillions (got two 550’s, one for small primers one for large) and can’t live without my two single stage presses (Lyman Orange Crush and Redding Boss). The Boss has been used for many years now, small trial loads, rifle rounds that are to low quantity to build a Dillion set up and of course Forming Cases. I load too many wildcat rounds. So, I have to have a solid single stage press that has the strength to form the case and can stand the abuse of having cases trimmed, cut or what ever else needs doing to get the brass into a shootable round.

There may be presses more precise than the Redding, but more chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams have fallen to cases formed on that press then I care to even try to remember. (Now it handles the small primer Creedmoor rounds for my MPA).

This is no comparison. The Dillon 550c is so so far superior than the Co-ax, its ridiculous. You cannot even stand right in front of it (co-Ax) because it will whack you. The pulldown bar is overly too big, too much range of motion. When you have a more traditional "slot machine" style on the side, you can stand in front of it, and grab bullets with your right hand, feed through hole in traditional press from the right side, then feed brass in with your left hand, through the left window (like many, like RCBS rock chucker or Rebel). You cannot do this with these Co-ax style presses because there is 2 BARS right in your way, 1 on each side. You have to go through the front, and since you can't stand in front of it, its simply not as efficient. with RCBS Rebel for example, you can put your bullet finished box on the right, and the box of bullet components on the right. You can stage the brass with the powder in it, ready to load on the left. You grab the brass with left hand, then place it in Rebel DIRECTLY from the left in a straight line. Cannot do that with CO-AX, you have to grab the brass move it TOWARD you past the table, then right, then forward. The travel distance is probably 50% more. On Rebel, when you pull handle to seat, you use right hand to grab done round, place it into box on right, then right next to it, you grab bullet component, place DIRECTLY line of sight to on top of the brass you placed and near the same time with your left hand. After you place the bullet, you pull down press with right hand, then move round to box, repeat. 2 hand process from both sides at once, direct line to seat. Co-ax? NO. It won't work, 2 bars in the way, and you can't stand square in front of it so reaching to both sides is awkward. Bad design for people that want efficient loading system.

The Co-ax is overpriced for what it offers. It does nothing great, and its not efficient to use with those 2 giant bars on both sides making you go in from the front with both hands because its awkward to stage things on the right side of it, since people generally stand on the LEFT side of it. Its not a great design for efficiency of use. If you don't care about time, and moving things around efficiently doesnt matter, because you got all day, get a CO-AX, its just fine, just like many other presses.

Get both!

Those are the two presses I have. I feel it fits my needs perfectly.

The Forster is a fantastic single stage, the lack of shell holders can’t be overstated. I can use a lee universal de priming die and process 308, 9mm and everything in between in a single session. The floating design makes swapping dies faster than everything out there and it does a great job of producing consistent ammo. My last batch of 308 had basically zero runout with a Forster bushing die and carbide free floating expander ball. I got the short handle because the press is so smooth I didn’t even need the leverage of the stock handle.

The 550B I have is also awesome. Fast enough for my needs when in full progressive mode with 9mm or 223 but can also be really capable of making precision ammo when you want it to.

Reactions: marchboom
Both good presses. I have both, the co-ax sits on the wall most of the time, but it is a great single stage press. The Dillon gets a lot of use, but don't buy it because you want to make blasting rounds. It's too slow for that.

Well I am many things (my wife will attest to that lol) but rich sure ain't one of them. I wish I could afford to get both presses but that's not gonna happen, at least not at the same time, or in the same calendar year as far as that goes. I appreciate all the advice and after considering it all I went with the Forester. A Dillion may be in my future, but more than likely it'll be the Redding T7 that was mentioned here or something like it anyway. Once again thanks for all the feedback, y'all have helped a lot.

Reactions: SmithM21
A T7 is a Great Choice. I follow Squatch on youtube and he mentions at the end of his Redding T7 set up video "that he loves his Dillons but if he could only have one reloader it would be the T7".

Another great one to follow on youtube is 76highboy. He uses Dillons and Redding T7s a lot.

Reactions: Ramblin'Man
Not sure why some are having issues with co-ax.

When I used them, I stood in front of it, and had a bin in the front. All I had to do was tip the case or round towards the front (with a new case in my hand) and it would just fall straight down into the bin. Super easy and fast.

If the 550 is usually hard to find, grab them both.

Start on a single stage while you learn how to load. Then move onto the progressive.

This is no comparison. The Dillon 550c is so so far superior than the Co-ax, its ridiculous. You cannot even stand right in front of it (co-Ax) because it will whack you. The pulldown bar is overly too big, too much range of motion. When you have a more traditional "slot machine" style on the side, you can stand in front of it, and grab bullets with your right hand, feed through hole in traditional press from the right side, then feed brass in with your left hand, through the left window (like many, like RCBS rock chucker or Rebel). You cannot do this with these Co-ax style presses because there is 2 BARS right in your way, 1 on each side. You have to go through the front, and since you can't stand in front of it, its simply not as efficient. with RCBS Rebel for example, you can put your bullet finished box on the right, and the box of bullet components on the right. You can stage the brass with the powder in it, ready to load on the left. You grab the brass with left hand, then place it in Rebel DIRECTLY from the left in a straight line. Cannot do that with CO-AX, you have to grab the brass move it TOWARD you past the table, then right, then forward. The travel distance is probably 50% more. On Rebel, when you pull handle to seat, you use right hand to grab done round, place it into box on right, then right next to it, you grab bullet component, place DIRECTLY line of sight to on top of the brass you placed and near the same time with your left hand. After you place the bullet, you pull down press with right hand, then move round to box, repeat. 2 hand process from both sides at once, direct line to seat. Co-ax? NO. It won't work, 2 bars in the way, and you can't stand square in front of it so reaching to both sides is awkward. Bad design for people that want efficient loading system.

The Co-ax is overpriced for what it offers. It does nothing great, and its not efficient to use with those 2 giant bars on both sides making you go in from the front with both hands because its awkward to stage things on the right side of it, since people generally stand on the LEFT side of it. Its not a great design for efficiency of use. If you don't care about time, and moving things around efficiently doesnt matter, because you got all day, get a CO-AX, its just fine, just like many other presses.
Kind of funny.
A coax used to be "the shit" for precision reloading.

Now some folks say it is shit. Lol

Reactions: Ramblin'Man
Kind of funny.
A coax used to be "the shit" for precision reloading.

Now some folks say it is shit. Lol
Yes funny.
The way some went on with the praise you almost thought it made magical bullets, when in fact was no better that most.Just has some nice features, just i like the features on the T7 much better.

The lack of shell holders is another big plus in my book.

Until you start loading different cartridges that don't fit in the single universal shell holder. Then you get to futz with changing the auto jaws and using the fasteners. Not to mention the auto jaws have compatibility issues with certain case heads. What seemed like an advantage turned into a weakness quickly went set up 223 Rem, 308, and 6.5 PRC for the press. If you're just loading .473" case head cartridges then maybe the CoAx is perfect for you. I swapped out the automatic jaws for the fixed shell holder and it too had it's own set of problems. Screw that, someone was willing to give me $350 so down the road it went.

I like turret presses.
If I was to change I’d get a 550.

My buddy has a coax, I didn’t understand the hype.
It’s nice but doesn’t load any better ammunition than my LCT and I can load pistol ammunition a lot faster.

So I guess you don't care for the Co-Ax?

• Haha
Go use it side by side with a Redding T7, and then make your own judgement. Not being able to stand in front of it like the T7 is deal breaker for many. Well, you can stand in front of it, but you have to stand back, so you will be moving forward and backwards. This is a very old design, that is not reloading efficient. I am not saying the end result of making bullets is not similar to others, it does that just fine. Just remember after you use a T7, that the T7 is cheaper, and has far more options available to improve your experience. That website ultimate reloader that did a 2019 comparison even showed the Co-ax is middle of the pack AT BEST. But that website not trustworthy because he is a fan for all the companies, he doesn't give raw opinions that could make products look bad, its always SUN SHINING, "I just won the lottery, look at this great thing I got from the great folks at X", its always positive. He is a positive guy, so I like him for that, but people want to hear both sides. I don't care for it, I think its overpriced. Some other poster noted that if you want volume, 550C is not what you want. I agree. I have many presses, I have 550C, XL750 and many more. I would say if you shoot like over 2,000 a month, you want something more commercial, and want to invest in like a mark 7 or something. 550C is good if you shoot like ~150-500 a month I think. XL750 good if you shoot maybe like 500-2000 a month. More, you need more speed. All these single stage and Redding T7 type manual presses, are good if you shoot under maybe...100=150 a month, subjectively of course. Everything is an opinion, and personal preference. I will just go out there and say for the money, a great press is the RCBS Rock chuck supreme or the RCBS Rebel. A little over $200 or near on sale, cannot be touched for the value and how heavy duty it is, with giant windows for both hands from each side to feed the loading. Also in the 2019 test the RCBS were the most concentric ammo, basically, close to the Zero press but 1/5 the price.

You will see the more people chime in on presses that reload frequently, the overwhelming majority that knows, is going to say Turret T7, or etc, and not Co-Ax because its simply TOO SLOW. Like Steel head there just said. exactly. Just go use a T7 and use Co-Ax then you will see. Use both hands, watch how frustrated you get with Co-ax coming around to the front every time, banging your hand on the 2 steel lever poles blocking your side input. T7 doesn't have large window on both sides like RCBS does, so you will still bang your hand sometimes on the turret. But its a great value because its great to have 7 dies, and also great to have alternate turrets that go in pretty fast.

Reactions: Ravenworks
The only thing I don't care for with the Co-Ax is the smaller opening for the case. Those links do get in the way but you learn to adjust for it. Speed? Speed is not a big deal for me when using a single stage press. If I want to make ammo quickly I'll use my 550B.

The T-7 is a great press but if you have a considerable number of dies it can get quite expensive buying all those die turret plates. And changing die turret plates does take time. But to me a turret press is essentially a single stage press and that's how I use my Lyman turret.

I started out with a Co-Ax. I then upgraded to the 550C in order to combine workflow steps to save time. I spent lots of money to bring the 550 up to the same level of precision as the Co-Ax (locking toolheads and floating die rings, measuring powder off press, shellplate bearings, etc.). I am now planning on selling my 550 and going back to the Co-Ax because:
  1. I now decap on another press because it keeps primer residue off the 550, the 550 also loves to spit spent primers everywhere but into the cup, and the lack of automation in the 550 (if I had a 750 or 1100 with a casefeeder I would probably use it to decap and just live with cleaning the mess)
  2. I am waiting on the delivery of a Primal Rights CPS so I will no longer be priming on the 550
  3. I now only have two parts of my workflow that can be performed consecutively (full length sizing/mandrel and powdering/seating) and only the sizing/mandrel really benefits
  4. I own a Co-Ax with the upgrades; if I was starting over I would probably buy a Rock Chucker Supreme (the Ultimate Reloader article shows it provides really good performance). Of course the Area 419 Zero is bright and shiny but I'm not sold on it being worth it.
I suggest you really take a look at your workflows and decide if the 550 really will provide enough benefit (speed) to justify the extra costs. I estimate I have at least 3 times the cost of the Co-Ax in the 550. If I need speed and volume I'll just buy a Dillon 1100 with all the extras.

I started out with a Co-Ax. I then upgraded to the 550C in order to combine workflow steps to save time. I spent lots of money to bring the 550 up to the same level of precision as the Co-Ax (locking toolheads and floating die rings, measuring powder off press, shellplate bearings, etc.).

I estimate I have at least 3 times the cost of the Co-Ax in the 550. If I need speed and volume I'll just buy a Dillon 1100 with all the extras.
My 550’s are just about indispensable and i appreciate owning them. That said

Nothing, and I do mean nothing is cheap about owning and using Dillion 550’s. You are trading cash for speed. Ignore all the accessories and the many fully equipped tool heads, including caliber conversions, powder throws and dies and you would be much better off use using a single stage.

The real main advantage the 550 has over other progressives is the ease changing calibers and the versatility. If a 550 is not fast enough, might as well go to the 1050/1100. Seeing my son’s 650 with case feeder, it almost seems to be a one trick pony. A Super nice pony.

Turret presses suck. The 419 excluded. Either get a progressive or a single stage.
Why my T7 did as good or better than the RCBS chucker , COAX, and the MEC. They are all good choices. For me loading rifle or 357sig or 38-40 i use the T7 when i load pistol straight wall i ues a Dillon square deal,it aint fast but im not in a rush

Fine i will go on my wrong ways nothing new
I'm kidding.

I've never had great luck with turrets, but I think that most of these things are good tools and what you prefer has everything to do with what you are used to, what makes you comfortable, etc. Threads like this are hard because of that.

I was just wondering what the 419 press did that the T7 didn't. I check my runout and see no issues. I seen the 419 press id like to get it and compare but 1300 bills i can buy 4 T7's for that.

I used my CoAx for a year and then put it up for sale. The only advantage to it over a RCS or MEC is ability to swap dies without resetting them...and even that comes with storage headaches.

My 550’s are just about indispensable and i appreciate owning them. That said

Nothing, and I do mean nothing is cheap about owning and using Dillion 550’s. You are trading cash for speed. Ignore all the accessories and the many fully equipped tool heads, including caliber conversions, powder throws and dies and you would be much better off use using a single stage.

The real main advantage the 550 has over other progressives is the ease changing calibers and the versatility. If a 550 is not fast enough, might as well go to the 1050/1100. Seeing my son’s 650 with case feeder, it almost seems to be a one trick pony. A Super nice pony.
Both valid points of view.

You people are comparing apples to oranges, that is a mistake.

Progressives, turrets and single stage are all different animals with different traits that suit them to a specific task.

All you deplorables would do well to chose two of the three and use as intended.

FYI I'm not a whore to any brand as long as it works.

Reactions: greybeard0058