Reloading Press

I was just wondering what the 419 press did that the T7 didn't. I check my runout and see no issues. I seen the 419 press id like to get it and compare but 1300 bills i can buy 4 T7's for that.
First, it looks really nice on your bench, and that isn't nothing. Second, I think the lockup makes for more consistent resizing than you get on other turrets, but I don't have any proof of that. Have you looked at the new Creedmoor Sports toolheads for the T7. That might get you 99% of the way there.

FWIW, I only size and load Lapua class rounds on my 419. For mandrel, powder and seat, I use my 550.

For 223, 300 BO or any pistol rounds, I use a large progressive, a 1050 or a Mark 7, because I am very lazy and get bored easily. That is my main goal, to do this stuff without boring myself to death.

Just cut the CoAx handle off with a hack saw to shorten the handle. Problem not being able to stand in front of it solved. The CoAx makes great ammo, hands down. They make after market jaws to handle pretty much any thing you want to feed it. No screwing in and out dies and never had storage issue?

Reactions: marchboom
First, it looks really nice on your bench, and that isn't nothing. Second, I think the lockup makes for more consistent resizing than you get on other turrets, but I don't have any proof of that. Have you looked at the new Creedmoor Sports toolheads for the T7. That might get you 99% of the way there.

FWIW, I only size and load Lapua class rounds on my 419. For mandrel, powder and seat, I use my 550.

For 223, 300 BO or any pistol rounds, I use a large progressive, a 1050 or a Mark 7, because I am very lazy and get bored easily. That is my main goal, to do this stuff without boring myself to death.
Yes seen the new Creedmoor toolhead but already have on backorder with them 3 extra turrets, did get the Creedmoor upgrade kit for it .
You may be right on the lockup for sizing but im within a rch, anyway the results I'm getting with the T7 are just as good or better than any press i had .
Did just get the arbor press from LE Wilson gonna try it out for seating with 308 and 6 Creedmoor almost hope it sucks so i dont have to buy 10 more seating dies. Guess i know how my money disappeared now.

The T-7 is a great press but if you have a considerable number of dies it can get quite expensive buying all those die turret plates. And changing die turret plates does take time. But to me a turret press is essentially a single stage press and that's how I use my Lyman turret.

My only complaint about the T7 isn't the time it takes to change turrets, but rather the frikking ball bearing that just sits there on a spring, waiting to be knocked off into the carpet and somewhere under the bench. I with they'd come up with a mod that captures the ball bearing. Other than that, I love the press.

My only complaint about the T7 isn't the time it takes to change turrets, but rather the frikking ball bearing that just sits there on a spring, waiting to be knocked off into the carpet and somewhere under the bench. I with they'd come up with a mod that captures the ball bearing. Other than that, I love the press.
The 419 press retains that "feature."

The 419 press retains that "feature."

Sigh - I have a dozen extras and probably 3 or 4 lost somewhere on the floor. I'm a 20+ year product guy, and the first time I changed a turret, I was like, "what the hell were they thinking?"

I promptly ordered 6, lost the package, ordered 6 more, found the package, so now I'm set for at least 10-20 more changes :)

Reactions: greybeard0058
FWIW the SAC “the seater” die only takes up one position on my T-7 turret and replaced about six micrometer seating dies.

I can seat 223, 6BRA, 6.5G, 6.5 Creed, 308, 6XC and I am sure others without moving/adjusting the die body. All with an add/remove the ball bearing and adjustments on the (mitutoyo) micrometer head. Cuts down on turret/die swaps a lot. They are not cheap, but less than the total of the six I pulled off.

Add a mandrel station and I can load 5 calibers w/o changing the turret.

It changes the equation a bit.

ZY

Reactions: Snuby642
When I first got my 550B I had an older RCBS O press from the mid 60s. I got that when I was 16. I always resized onmy RCBS and then trimmed my rifle cases, 30-06, 308, & 223, before reloading on my 550B. When I get my new 750 in I will do the same for my 223s. I plan to reload my 30-06s, 308s, 6.5 cm, and 300 BO on my Redding T7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
Just cut the CoAx handle off with a hack saw to shorten the handle. Problem not being able to stand in front of it solved. The CoAx makes great ammo, hands down. They make after market jaws to handle pretty much any thing you want to feed it. No screwing in and out dies and never had storage issue?
Or just buy the short handle for $20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012990170

I have both , no complaints on either. I started reloading on a single stage and I l don’t mind the process, that being said the Dillon gets it done quicker. You can scale each charge if you want to go that way on the Dillion so I really don’t see any down side. I’m sure you’ll enjoy either, they’re different but both are really nice in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramblin'Man
I have a Forster co-ax, I don't have and never used a Dillon so really can't say much about that part.
As to the issue with co-ax that several people have mentioned. I took the handle off and just pull on the wishbone and rarely put it back on, if I do need it, it's usually for resizing I don't have to stand (sit) off to the side, and I feel like I have a better "feel" for what is going on through all phases of the loading process. With the handle it works too effortlesly. People who have one may understand, some won't.

Reactions: Ramblin'Man
Unlike many, I loathe the Co-Ax press, hate the ergos, it'd be my last choice.

As for the Dillon, I don't know anyone who has a 550 who doesn't praise it, and even the guys I know who've went primarily to another press for one reason or another still use theirs for something. I think there's good reason you don't see them come up for sale used very often.

I used my 550 to reload all my military calibers for my C&R weapons. They weren't precision hand loads but good enough for my class III weapon's as well. When I sold of my collection I only load precision load for my TRG 22 and AIAW as well as for my LesBaer Match Sniper and LaRue OBR. I use an RCBS ChargeMaster to drop the powder and Foster Micrometer seating dies. It slower since I take the brass out of the 550 pour the powder reinsert ant sear the 168 grain SMK's. I tried dropping the powder thru powder die but wasn't happy with it. I also use my Rockchucker ti trim the brass before reloading with the Dillon Power trimmer. The target below is typical of the results I get with the AIAW and the TRG 22. The 308 semi's hover around 0.6 moa.

No groups shot yet as barrel break in work. These are shots 29-31 out of the tube.

223 range pick up brass made on the dillon with the dillon powder dispenser.

20220215_145606.jpg

The center target is mine from yesturday.

These are my standard ar plinkers and untill I spent money for a ? mid tier ar barrel had no Idea the dillon could produce rounds like that.

Reactions: SmithM21
I'm planning on purchasing a new press for reloading rifle only. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Dillion 550C and a Forester CO-AX. Any help, including pros and cons, y'all could provide is much appreciated.
I reloaded 20 years ago with a buddy and a set up in his home. I recently got involved again and did a lot of research. I selected the Hornady press that has the primer kit. I can drop in a bunch of primers in the tube and prime 20 shells safely on less than 5 min and never touch a primer till I check seated depth. The press opening is slanted to the left for my left hand to feed cases and bullets slightly from the left. It is very handy and has desired accessories. for accurate rounds, my mic die is repeatable, my seater is repeatable. The die bushings that cam lock make dies a piece of cake in and out. As an example, when making a final adjustment to a mic die on a new bullet, I de-cam the die, hold the markings so I can see them, reseat the die and make .001 adjustments in less than 10 seconds.

No groups shot yet as barrel break in work. These are shots 29-31 out of the tube.

223 range pick up brass made on the dillon with the dillon powder dispenser.

View attachment 7809718
The center target is mine from yesturday.

These are my standard ar plinkers and untill I spent money for a ? mid tier ar barrel had no Idea the dillon could produce rounds like that.
If you pair your 550 with a Johnson's Quickmeasure, you are pretty much good for any powder less chunky than Reloder 26.

First off I am here thinking I want to play some of the long distance games, I have reloaded for....guessing ~20 years using the RED headed step child of the reloading world....lee.

It is their turret press, but I never have used the turret as intended. I use it like a single stage with a bunch of holes.

Up to this point I have loaded for things that are just not common, why I got into reloading. Yesterday I loaded up 50 rounds of 30 Remington, you don't find that on the shelf at Walmart, you could say the same for 7mm Mauser, 30-40 Krag, 7.7 jap, 3006 friendly to garands, 6.5 carcano...on and on. I generally don't shoot anything modern so I got into reloading, and it saves lots of money. With my current setup, I have brought groups in these old "army" rifles from minute of basket ball to minute of soft ball, and think I am doing something correctly.

I know the lee system has slop in it.....you can see it, but it does not make anything unsafe. Now I want to start moving out past 100 yards and little things will start to make a big difference......thus why (I) am looking for a change.

I have no, none, zero, zippo desire for any progressive. I enjoy reloading, it is the one area of my entire life I am anal about, I measure and check everything.....make notes.....don't know why it is just relaxing to me. Sitting down and just pulling a handle would take the fun right out of it. Back when the kiddo was home, it was dad's alone time. Now it is just relaxing to sit down there, listen to some jazz and measure cases....it is just relaxing.

I have looked at foster, redding and a few others along those lines. Don't care about having to change jaws, again just part of it. Not having to worry about shell holders would be nice, but I have a bucket of them anyway.....so eh.

I was pretty sold on foster, but out of stock everywhere, still looking at other options including T7.

I will be following this thread.

FWIW, I do all my precision rifle stuff on the simplest, most basic press I could find at the time, and I get single digit SD’s and print 1/2moa groups at 1250 yards regularly with the ammo I make on it. I had bought it thinking it’d be a kick-ass bullet-seating-only press (and it is, the feel is fantastic and about as good as any arbor press), but I’ve since ended up using it for everything and it’s been great through its first ~5000rds of 6mm creedmoor, don’t let the size fool you.

It’s $85 currently, cheaper than most dies (but definitely spend another ~$50 for the stand).

E6D964EF-B297-433D-8B0A-DB324279FE92.jpegC1CBD895-19C4-4547-9BEF-68696434BA82.jpeg

Reactions: SmithM21
If you pair your 550 with a Johnson's Quickmeasure, you are pretty much good for any powder less chunky than Reloder 26.
I had a Johnson's Quickmeasure with a Dillon Mount but I never used it. I did sell it to a gentleman who is quite happy with it.