• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rem 700 BBL Threading Question

Tiller1k

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Here is my dilemma:

I have a Remington 700 SPS “Tacti-cool” in .308 w/ 1:12 twist (heavy) 20” bbl. Non-Hogue stock if it matters. I am getting ready to send this out to get it threaded 5/8-24 for an AAC Muzzle Brake/Suppressor mount and I was considering chopping it down to 18” and having it finished with a new crown. The plan is to use the 762-SD on it when the Form 4 comes back. This is one of three hosts planned for the suppressor.

The thought is that it would reduce some weight from the end and compensate for the extra length added by the mount and suppressor.

Considerations:

This rifle will currently hold well under 1 MOA at 200 yds. I intend to shoot longer ranges but doubt it will ever exceed 800 yds. This was a budget build for me and aside from a stock change, I don’t intend to spend thousands on this rifle. I would like it to maintain its current accuracy (some small trade off is OK as long as doesn’t get outside 1 MOA). I plan to stick with 168gr ammo with a possible 175gr.

Am I screwing myself by cutting it down? There isn’t a lot of difference between 20-24” bbls with respect to accuracy and muzzle velocity but will 20-18” be a critical difference? Should I just leave the length alone and stick with the 20”?

I don’t really want to thread it twice so I need to figure this out before I send it out. Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Re: Rem 700 BBL Threading Question

I decided to switch out my barrel before threading it. I discovered the SPS (mine) comes with .148" of freebore, making it IMPOSSIBLE to load even close to the lands. The new barrel was a 28" blank, and will be 26" when finished.

The rifle plus suppressor will be a heavy son of a bitch to say the least.

I'm in the same boat as you... I have an SPS and don't want to sink a ton of $$ into it. But I was recommended this thread and after talking to Mark at SAC, I decided to go this route:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...802#Post1898802

http://www.shortactioncustoms.com/

I don't think you gain much by going to 18", and based off what Mark describes in his SPS Package, even with re-crowning, threading, barrel setback, etc - the max I'm going to lose is 1/2" in overall barrel length. For $525 - this appears to be a significant gain in accuracy for the SPS-T.

My gun just shipped to SAC today and I'll report back on how it looks when he's done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided to switch out my barrel before threading it. I discovered the SPS (mine) comes with .148" of freebore, making it IMPOSSIBLE to load even close to the lands. The new barrel was a 28" blank, and will be 26" when finished.

The rifle plus suppressor will be a heavy son of a bitch to say the least. </div></div>

If it shoots great without being jammed into the lands then why worry about it? I'm sending mine in Friday to be threaded for a SAS can. I'm quite sure that the barrel will give me a few-5k of rounds before I need a new one. In the mean time I will know that I didn't just blow money by replacing a barrel that didn't need it. On the other hand if I had the money to blow it'd be getting a Rock Creek 5R barrel with 1in 10 twist rate, and a McMillan A5 stock.

I have seen some good arguments on both sides of this. Unless something happens and I have to change the BBL, I think I will stick with the 20". Maybe nothing happens if I go shorter but I have noticed that 175 grs don't seem to shoot quite as well as the 168gr. The comparisons were with a small quantity of 175 GMM so it isn't a very scientific study If am really worried about it, I will have a larger sample size to compare those numbers.

I was just looking at having over 27" of heavy barrel and suppressor hanging of the front of this thing when it gets finished. I guess a shorter 25" won't make a world of difference. Luckily, this thing is a decent shooter right now so I may not mess with it too much. I will reconsider if I ever change the bbl but if I go shorter, I will definitely go with a tighter twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided to switch out my barrel before threading it. I discovered the SPS (mine) comes with .148" of freebore, making it IMPOSSIBLE to load even close to the lands. The new barrel was a 28" blank, and will be 26" when finished.

The rifle plus suppressor will be a heavy son of a bitch to say the least. </div></div>

If it shoots great without being jammed into the lands then why worry about it? I'm sending mine in Friday to be threaded for a SAS can. I'm quite sure that the barrel will give me a few-5k of rounds before I need a new one. In the mean time I will know that I didn't just blow money by replacing a barrel that didn't need it. On the other hand if I had the money to blow it'd be getting a Rock Creek 5R barrel with 1in 10 twist rate, and a McMillan A5 stock. </div></div>

That was the issue. I could barely get a 7" group at 200 because of how much the bullet jump was affecting the concentricity of the bullet entering the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That was the issue. I could barely get a 7" group at 200 because of how much the bullet jump was affecting the concentricity of the bullet entering the bore. </div></div>

Holy shit man I'm pretty sure if that was new it would fall under warranty. I hope that your new barrel is working out good for you. My SPS has been 1/2 moa with me behind it so it's probably more like a 1/4 moa rifle. I was very very pleased the first time I took it out.