Gunsmithing Rem 700 extractor/ejection issue

corn_dork

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Hi everyone. Long time reader but this is my first post. Anyways... I have a Rem 700 police .223 that I got almost a decade ago. Its always had ejection issues where it just dumps spent cases in the mag well. But it's never failed to extract. I recently started to do a little work on it to clean it up and make it look and function a bit better so I figured it's time to get that issue solved as well. Now before anyone says to check the ejector spring and plunger, I have. I don't use high pressure loads, there are no bits or shavings of brass anywhere, and I've even replaced the spring and it still has the same issue.

Now I read somewhere (can't remember where) that some of the .223's remington put out a while back had extractor grooves that were cut a little out of spec so when I looked at that the extractor seemed to wiggle and move around a bit. It catches the rim of cases but doesn't seem to have a lot of bite on it.

My questions are how much play is the extractor supposed to have? Could the groove be cut out of spec? Will/should a new factory extractor solve the issue? What can/needs to be done?

Oh, and I want to avoid a sako or AR style extractor as much as possible. Don't ask why, I have my reasons but those are last resort options for me.

Re: Rem 700 extractor/ejection issue

C Dork,I am going to assume the you have a scope sitting on top. Check the bottom side of your windage knob and see if you have brass marks on it. I had a similar problem when I had a 16X Super Sniper on mine. The knob had a raised edge on it that the brass would hit and bounce the case back into the chamber. Changed scope, no more problem. That might not be it. Just something to check.

Cheers!
Stiggy

Hey thanks for the reply. I wish it were that simple but the cases aren't hitting the scope. Thy aren't even making it out of the ejection port. They'll extract about 3/4 of the way and then pop off the bolt and just sit on top of the mag well. My thinking is that the extractor has just deep enough of a bite to extract the cases from the chamber but just shallow enough bite that once the case actually clears the chamber and hits the inside of the receiver wall, the case is at just enough of an angle to pop off the extractor and fall where it may, which in this case is the mag well/feed ramp area.

I had the same problem. I replaced the extractor and it still did it. After looking at it more throughly it was evident the extractor groove was machined incorrectly. I contacted Remington and they said I needed to send the rifle in and they would give me a quote (out of warranty as it sat of a number of years). I decided against that contacted PT&G and they made me a new bolt. The End.