• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rem 721 Build

DakotaBPNW

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2021
Oregon
I’ve got an old 721 chambered in 30-06 that the original barrel is shot out of. I’m getting ready to send it off to the smith and make another lightweight hunting rifle out of. Anyone got any ideas on a fun or different cartridge they’d go with? I currently shoot a few 6mm’s, a 26 Nosler, 300WSM and 300WM.

Thanks!

There are lots of cartridges based on the venerable .30-06 case design. They all work and usually those cases are easier to find nowadays. But push comes to shove, the original .30-06 cases can be modified for many of the other cartridges.

I am enjoying the .25-06 AI combined with the Berger 133 gr. bullets. The 131 Blackjack worked well when they were in stock but I haven't seen any in 2 years. Sierra makes them for Blackjack so they are obviously prioritizing their own bullets.

Then too:

6.5-06 (or AI)

.280 AI (Nosler brass or make your own)

8mm-06 or AI (you won't find many of these in your deer camp!)

.338-06 or AI is popular if you're looking for heavier bullets.

If you like to have some room to stretch the cartridge length out, the 7x57 AI with the longer, heavier bullets is a nice change of pace.

Look around and read some of the information online.

Reactions: Average guy
I always kinda thought a .30-06, given 700LA mag generosity, with the right chamber/twist, would deliver some serious mail.
Lapua .30-06 brass would seem to preclude a lot of screwing around as well.

If you’re sending it to a ‘smith, have them keep the measurements somewhere so you can have your own switch-barrel rifle. Then the only questions you need to ask are; “What barre should I buy next” and “How many barrels is too many?”

But my vote is another .30-06 barrel throated for some long-ish bullets(I reload so I’m biased)

Or 280ai

Or 260 Remington

In that order. That’s what I plan on doing

I'm with Coop. A 35 Whelen is a great caliber. I also have a lot of love for the .25-06. these are my two personal rifles, covers just about anything that walks in North America. If the .25-06 is chosen, get one of the new fast twist barrels that work with the 133 and 135 Bergers. It will shoot the lighter bullet as well.

On the .35 Whelen, 1-14 is the trick, 1-12 is even better.

Reactions: moosemeat
Really, it depends on what you're hunting. I think 30-06 is extremely versatile, but I like 280AI, if you hand load. You can load light and fast for varmints, or heavier for elk, and anything in between. Mine has a Bartlein 3b, but if you want lightweight, there are carbon wrapped options to save a few ounces. A 30-06, with a 24" cf wrapped barrel and cf stock would be lighter weight, and recoil wouldn't be bad. I did the same with a 700 action, a while back. Not the best pic, but all I have at the moment. 280AI, 700LA, Stocky's M50CF, Badger M5dbm, 24" Bartlein 3b. Hope you have fun with yours!

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
If it's a reg-lar ol' hunting rifle, you can go 338-06 or .35 Whelen with a re-bore of the old barrel for a whole lot less money and shoot well enough for the intended purpose.