• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rem700P 5R

milav8r

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2017
I'm in the market for an alright 308 rifle....Ive held off on buying one for too long and Ive already got a 338LM and 2 6.5CM's so I feel like a R700 might be a decent in the door 308 gun. Also, I'd like to keep it under 1200 so i can buy some decent glass for it. I've somewhat narrowed it down to the 700 P or a version of their 700 5R rifles. I'd really like to find a 700P with a 5R barrel (86591) however they're selling for about 1200 and you can get a 700 Milspec 5R (29663) for about 770 which i feel is a super similar gun..... I think the new 700 5R gen 2(85201) for 850 is a good value however I'm pretty opposed to the fluted barrel. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

when I owned my 5r mil-spec a few years back, it was an absolute hammer. I didn't know they came out with a gen 2. (hope it has a detachable magazine now) either way, FGMM 168gr was great out to 900 yards. sub minute gun all day long as long as I could do my part. this way my last factory "precision" gun before I sold everything and build my first custom gun.

Ok, yeah I've spent a few days researching forums and reviews on them and they seem pretty solid. 308 Pirate - No it doesn't have to be a Rem. just looking for a legit 308 rifle.

308pirate.....that hcr sure looks sweet!

Howas perform. Lots of evidence on this site alone, including an HCR test by Lowlight. You'll hear there are not many upgrades available for them. While that is true, what you often don't hear is that a) there is a decent selection of aftermarket stocks and triggers, scope bases are readily available in any variety you would want, and they need far less stuff replaced than other brands to shoot really well.

I've had three over the years and still have two of them.

The HCR and the upcoming Howa Bravo need nothing except a scope and a bipod.

A good 700P/5R will perform..The issue these days is finding a "good" one. Some are worse than others, due to Remington's quality control issues of late. I'd look at a Tikka or Howa; Bergara if its in your price range too. A Tikka CTR is $700-$999 and I've never seen one that wasn't a .75 MOA or less gun. The Howa is good too; though you'll find skepticism for their quality from some members, none here though.

I bet none are owners

Hah, that's the truth! I own a custom Howa in 260 and a factory one in 204 Ruger. Both of them shoot just as good as any of my other guns and those bolts are smooth as can be.

There are so many good options out there now. Honestly you can find a sub-MOA rifle from just about any manufacturer now if you do your part. Savage, Howa, Rem, Tikka, Bergara, etc...

Personally once of my favorite factory 308s is the Win 70 Stealth or Stealth II. Wish I never sold mine, but oh well, I have two more Winnies in its place now.

Last edited:
About 16 years ago I purchased 3 700/5R's to give to the kids as graduation presents. Each of them shoots 1/2 MOA with 175 FGMM. Today there are lots of options: 700/5R, Bergara, Tika, Howa ...

Last edited:
I have owned Remingtons for years, but now I feel the Tikka CTR T3x is the rifle to beat. 10 round steel magazine, good trigger, adaptable stock, and threaded barrel. A lot of factory gun for less than nine hundred dollars.

Great recommendations! I currently have an AI AX338, Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 and a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5. That's the only reason i was looking for a Rem700 - Something different from what I have already in 6.5CM.

Hah, that's the truth! I own a custom Howa in 260 and a factory one in 204 Ruger. Both of them shoot just as good as any of my other guns and those bolts are smooth as can be.

There are so many good options out there now. Honestly you can find a sub-MOA rifle from just about any manufacturer now if you do your part. Savage, Howa, Rem, Tikka, Bergara, etc...

Personally once of my favorite factory 308s is the Win 70 Stealth or Stealth II. Wish I never sold mine, but oh well, I have two more Winnies in its place now.

I actually own a howa 1500, my first and only one. A Howa HCR that I bought not too long ago. On mine specifically, the bolt is smooth almost throughout all the way, but when cycling and pulling back on it, it gets really rough right at the end of the cycle. Very rough that it gets stuck sometimes. It's on a very short or small area that I've learned to deal with it already. Even though it has that minor defect, I still want another howa 1500 and would really really recommend one. It shoots good too. It's worth it to consider it as an option. I don't own nor have I ever handled a rem700 5r so I can't comment on it. Just simply commenting on my experience.

I just purchased a Remington 700P barreled action from EuroOptic for $675! They dont have them on their website but theyre on Armslist for $750. I shot them an email and asked if they could do any better and got them down to that price. 24" 5R rifling, tactical bolt knob and 40x trigger....seemed like a good deal. After I ordered my parts to finish the build im sitting at about $1200.