• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Remington 5-R WITH BENT BARREL FROM FACTORY!!!

DerekD337

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
LOUISIANA
I just bought a new 5-R a few weeks ago and wasnt satisfied AT ALL with the way the gun shot. I removed the barrel to clean the gun and inspect everything, and while having the barrel on a granite table (used for measuring and inspecting parts in the machine shop business), as i rolled the barrel I noticed that I could see light coming under the barrel in certain places AND KNEW I HAD A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!! So I chucked up the barrel in my the my lathe, indicated the barrel within .0005, and put my center in the bore. I had .016 runout @ 18" from the muzzle. After seeing this I ultra sound the barrel to check concentricity of the OD of the barrel and the bore. There was up to .025 change in wall thickness in several places throughout the entire length of barrel. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS LIKE THIS WITH A BRAND NEW REMINGTON 5-R??? WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS??? WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT REMINGTON LETS THINGS LIKE THIS PASS RIGHT THROUGH THEIR QUALITY CONTROL DEPT??

*****HOW SHOULD I GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED WITH REMINGTON?? SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS WOULD BE COVERED BY THEIR WARRANTY AND HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING THIS PROBLEM RESOLVED!!
ANY ADVISE OR INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
THANKS
DEREK

Re: Remington 5-R WITH BENT BARREL FROM FACTORY!!!

Derek,

I had a call from a good friend that received his much sought after new Remington only to find that the milling of the exterior barrel flutes actually stopped 2/3rds of the way down the barrel, reset (depth off, path off) and continued. It was straight to the phone and the whole rig was sent back.

I asked him if it shot well and his response was probably but getting it back to Remington was an important "responsibility" he felt he had been saddled with.

Straight to the phone.

So your saying that you think remington would "FIX" this problem, or ever better...send me a new rifle without a big fight?!? Did he call remington direct or go to the store where the gun was purchased and have them handle it?
Thanks alot!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you voided any kind of warranty by taking off the barrel.

Good luck </div></div>

Maybe, probably, U think?

May as well order a Kreiger for that 5R during your "phone time" Monday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you voided any kind of warranty by taking off the barrel.

Good luck </div></div>

</div></div>
I was trying to be nice
laugh.gif
We know he don't have a chance in hell but you have to be civil sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you voided any kind of warranty by taking off the barrel.

Good luck </div></div>

</div></div>
I was trying to be nice
laugh.gif
We know he don't have a chance in hell but you have to be civil sometimes. </div></div>

Even if they do agree to "fix" it, it may not be much better per my recent experiences with Big Green.

Have you shot it yet? That would be the most obvious awnser to the question if you actually have a "problem". If it shoots within 3/4 MOA and under with factory ammo you dont really have a problem. If it shoots at 1/2 moa and is consistant you dont have any thing to even think about other than shooting the barrel out and getting a custom tube installed later.

Now if the zero wanders and will not hold a cold bore for krap well then you need to contact Remington.

That being said.... I know of a factory 700P rifle that a Local PD had on a sniper team that would not hold a 1MOA group. Remington did not replace or repair the gun and stated that it was not defective and meet all specs, even though it did not shoot as well as expected. They do not have any type of accuracy guarentte.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerekD337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You had problems with your barrel being bent also? How long did it take for Remington to send you a new rifle? </div></div>

Took between 5 and 6 months if I remember correctly.

Chuck up a factory Savage barrel and see what you get.

When I make a thread protector for those after threading the muzzle for a suppressor, I have to make big runout adjustments to contour it to the OD of the barrel vs the bore.

Every one I ever did was like that.

If the 5R did not shoot well out of the box, it is one of the few and most likely not barrel related.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Edited to add:
I read in another thread that your 5R is a 300WM. This really changes everything as sometimes the 300WM takes some doing to get it to shoot.

Most likely it has a long fat chamber. Need to load for it.</span>

Im very aware about gun drilling because I deal with it everyday in my business but correct me if i'm wrong...the barrel is rifled first, and last the OD is turned to the desired contour!? When the barel is turned between centers why should the barrel have .020" runout??

***And for you that are saying the warranty would be voided... The barrel was NOT removed from the action!! I chucked on the barrel in front of the action (with aluminum pads) only to run a indicator on the barrel!!, There are no marks and no way to tell that it has been removed from the stock!!!Looks like it was just removed from the box!! So why would the warranty be voided?!?! Does it void you warranty if you remove your stock from your gun to clean everything...dont think so.. so what would be the difference? There is no way possible for them to know...but please correct me if im wrong!!!!

i think you will find measurable runout between the bore and od of the barrel in most barrels, factory or aftermarket match. there is a reason no one that works with precision rifles uses the od of the barrel as a reference point when chambering, threading or crowning.

SHOOT4FUN...sorry I wasnt very clear on that part... but you dont have to be a Smart A$$. It was a question asking for some facts... not a smart a$$ opinion!!!

Right, you weren't clear and then you coped an attitude in your post:

***And for you that are saying the warranty would be voided... The barrel was NOT removed from the action!! I chucked on the barrel in front of the action (with aluminum pads) only to run a indicator on the barrel!!, There are no marks and no way to tell that it has been removed from the stock!!!Looks like it was just removed from the box!! So why would the warranty be voided?!?! Does it void you warranty if you remove your stock from your gun to clean everything...dont think so.. so what would be the difference? There is no way possible for them to know...but please correct me if im wrong!!!!

Your words.

Maybe you should preview your posts B4 submitting. I do. Yes, even the SMARTASS ONES!

BTW, sorry about the issue with your 5R but why would they take it back just because of barrel run out? They don't fix worse issues than that all the time.
Been there and it sucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerekD337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a new 5-R a few weeks ago and wasnt satisfied AT ALL with the way the gun shot. </div></div>

one more thing, can you describe how the gun shoots and how you feel it should shoot? what kind of ammo were you using? are you a proven shooter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> HOW SHOULD I GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED WITH REMINGTON?? SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS WOULD BE COVERED BY THEIR WARRANTY AND HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING THIS PROBLEM RESOLVED!!
THANKS
DEREK</div></div>

Call Remington and ask them or take it back to the store you bought it from and ask them. They (Remington)may be better equipped to answer your warrantee questions than anyone else.

A lot of folks have asked how well it shoots but you have declined to answer. How's it shoot?

Unless a manufactuter actually states an accuracy guarantee they are usually pretty loose on their standards.
If the gun will hold two MOA at 100 yds for three shots Remington is probably not going to do anything.
And oneeyemac is right. The OP has never said anything about group sizes. Just that he was no happy with the rifle.

I feel your pain. One of my shooting buddies has been going through the same hoops with Remington about a Sendero in 300WM. We figured out that the bore was not reamed concentrically. He has sent it back twice now and they have not done a thing to it. He said the heck with them and it getting it re-bored to a 300RUM. Customer service and pricing lately has made we really warm up to custom actions for builds as opposed to the Rem 700. Nothing against Rem, but you should take care of your customer when they have a problem like these with a 5R or Sendero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerekD337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was up to .025 change in wall thickness in several places throughout the entire length of barrel. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS LIKE THIS WITH A BRAND NEW REMINGTON 5-R??? </div></div>

That's normal for a factory barrel...it doesn't mean the barrel is bent, but it doesn't mean it's straight either.

If a barrel is straightened after contouring, that is exactly what one would expect to find, the bore will wander...how could it be different?

I'm not sayin' Rem bothered to straighten it at any point. Remington screws rifles together and ships them out the door. A quality made barrel from a reputable maker would cost Rem more than what they pay for the whole rifle.

It might be interesting to see what they will do with this rifle as a CS issue. They might not do anything, but call and find out. Any replacement rifle you receive might be better or worse; it's luck of the draw with any factory rifle.

Accuracy is not just about the bore, but crown, chamber, throat, bedding, ammo, etc,

TC

StraigteningBarrels.jpg

Extract :
"The straightening of the barrels is conceded to require the greatest of skill of any operation in the manufacture of rifle barrels. As the writer of this article spent nearly a third of a century in the occupation of straightening barrels, and as there has probably never been a comprehensive article written on this subject before, the operation will be treated exhaustively here in the hope that a real understanding of the method of rifle barrel straightening may be conveyed to the minds of the readers. ........."

"...... In straightening a rifle barrel, the three important tools required are a shade, a straightening block and a hammer ..............."

wink.gif

I had a 5R that I had completely reworked. Although the gun shot good the gunsmith found the chamber was not aligned with the bore. I found out that once I had a SAAMI spec chamber I had to buy a small base full length die and competition shell holders to get old fire formed cases to fit in the new chamber. Barrel break in on a Remington factory 5R and a Rock 5R is like night and day.

I have scoped a few R700 barrels. Most are of average workmanship at best.Tool marks from end to end are the norm. I did just recently buy a R700XCR Tactical Long Range and it has one of the nicest looking barrels I've seen from them in quite some time.
A friend of mine from Texas once bought a R700 that turned out to be drilled off center. Well, to be more exact, the bore took a detour between chamber and muzzle. He, having a full shop of machinist tools, cut the barrel in half length wise and sent it back to Remington. Needless to say it was not covered by warranty but he didn't really care.
As for chambers, the last SPS Tac I bought would not even chamber a factory round due to the shoulder/neck area of the chamber being so F'd up. They "fixed" it but the gun never shot well.

When I had trouble with my XCR in .308,(two years ago) the rep told me that the factory standard was 3" at 100yds for three shots. If it shot inside of 3moa with a 3 shot group, they no fixy.

barrel bores are not straight.Barrel O.D`s are not concentric with bore.unless extreme this does`nt affect accuracy.causes for poor shooting barrels are.... bad bore size,ruff bores,ruff rifling,irregular dimensions,i.e tie/loose spots.
not opinion but fact.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerekD337</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> as i rolled the barrel I noticed that I could see light coming under the barrel in certain places AND KNEW I HAD A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!!
DEREK </div></div>

1)The OD of a barrel means nothing. Bores arent straight.

2)How did you remove the barrel? How often do you do that? I've seen people bend barrel and actions just trying to remove them.
If you're set up to smith rifles than shit, just buy a new barrel and chamber it.

3)How did it shoot before you took it apart?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbet83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and the measured it with a straight edge. </div></div>

You cant check a barrel with a straight edge.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I read in another thread that your 5R is a 300WM. This really changes everything as sometimes the 300WM takes some doing to get it to shoot."</span>

That might be true in factory chamberings but not so in custom builds. I have reason to belive the 300 WM is one of the most accurate magnum chamberings today. It's reputation in 1,000 yard competitions is tremendous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"I read in another thread that your 5R is a 300WM. This really changes everything as sometimes the 300WM takes some doing to get it to shoot."</span>

That might be true in factory chamberings but not so in custom builds. I have reason to belive the 300 WM is one of the most accurate magnum chamberings today. It's reputation in 1,000 yard competitions is tremendous. </div></div>

Agreed. My Surgeon Scalpel 300WM is here now. Bullets arrived last week and AICS mags today. Can't wait to try it out!

Call Rock,Kreiger or any other fine barrel maker and order a new barrel and send it to any of the excellent smith's on here and be done with it. It will cost you more time and money screwing with Remington than you can stand. I figure by the time they say yes or no or get anything done for you,you could have a custom one hole'r done and already shooting. Buying a new gun from a modern day manufacturer is like a crap shoot, sooner or later it splatters and lands on somebody....... It looks like your turn. Just sayin.......

Your in Louisiana just send it to Roscoe and let him rebarrel it,big greens CS is a big green turd nowdays, I had a rifle with some problems gave them a call and was told to send the rifle to Paducah shooters supply(a warranty center for remington) all they did was shoot a test target with the rifle and sent it back,after that I WILL NOT send ANY gun back for repair, just my 02 cents ymmv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerekD337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a new 5-R a few weeks ago and wasnt satisfied AT ALL with the way the gun shot. I removed the barrel to clean the gun and inspect everything, and while having the barrel on a granite table (used for measuring and inspecting parts in the machine shop business), as i rolled the barrel I noticed that I could see light coming under the barrel in certain places AND KNEW I HAD A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!! So I chucked up the barrel in my the my lathe, indicated the barrel within .0005, and put my center in the bore. I had .016 runout @ 18" from the muzzle. After seeing this I ultra sound the barrel to check concentricity of the OD of the barrel and the bore. There was up to .025 change in wall thickness in several places throughout the entire length of barrel. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS LIKE THIS WITH A BRAND NEW REMINGTON 5-R??? WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS??? WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT REMINGTON LETS THINGS LIKE THIS PASS RIGHT THROUGH THEIR QUALITY CONTROL DEPT??

*****HOW SHOULD I GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED WITH REMINGTON?? SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS WOULD BE COVERED BY THEIR WARRANTY AND HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING THIS PROBLEM RESOLVED!!
THANKS
DEREK </div></div>
Well my friend,
Unfortunately, this is the price we pay for mass production. Remington is getting increasingly sloppy with regards to their quality. I have several custom shop, sendero, and newer remingtons and the quality difference between older stuff and new stuff is huge. I would put the barrel back on and ship that sucker back. That is the fortunate part of the situation, a warranty. Just dont tell them you disassembled it or you will be eating it.