Remington 700 .308 20" Threaded: AAC or 5R

stmcelroy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2006
Madras, OR
www.rkbaholsters.com
Looking to pick up a 20" .308 for range and possible hunting use this fall. Plan on a .308 suppressor some time in the next year so figure might as well get one of the threaded guns.

I'm currently looking at the AAC which will run around $700 out the door or the 5R which will be closer to $1,050. Is the 5R worth the extra money or should I just buy the AAC and look to pick up a stock to replace the Hogue with?

Saving a little money would be nice, could put it towards optics and mount.

What does everyone think?

Re: Remington 700 .308 20" Threaded: AAC or 5R

Not being a dick but everyone is gonna tell you to use the search feature on this site. Plenty of info on both guns being that these rifles are asked about all the time. In the end its your decision no one can make your mind up for you. I bought a remington 5r and love it but thats not to say that you would. Try to find a place that has both and handle each and see which fits you better. Both guns shoot well for factory rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. Try to find a place that has both and handle each and see which fits you better. </div></div>

That's the problem.

The search function isn't very user friendly and brings up way to few threads, but i'll try it again.

You can save some money with the aac, but most people change out the stock first thing. So thats gonna put you right in line with the 5r which comes with a pretty good stock from the factory and it being stainless is another positive in my book. If you dont like the stainless you can always paint it.

What type of hunting? I only ask because if it's ease of movement your after I would think that the 20" barrel on the aac might prove useful. Also I got mine for 595 so it seems you might be able to get it cheaper than 7. I'm no expert and don't claim to be just an observation.

Jeremy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of hunting? I only ask because if it's ease of movement your after I would think that the 20" barrel on the aac might prove useful. Also I got mine for 595 so it seems you might be able to get it cheaper than 7. I'm no expert and don't claim to be just an observation.

Jeremy </div></div>

Deer hunting.

Both the 5R and AAC have 20" barrels in the threaded versions so that really isn't an issue.

For me... The 5R stock is not comfortable and I find it hard to believe that HS Precsion can get $325 for one. If you need a stock and you can get a 5R take off for $150 then get it but otherwise they aren't worth the extra you pay for the 5R. Buy the AAC version and go with a McMillan HTG since you hunt. That what I would do. I own a 5R too btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the problem.

The search function isn't very user friendly and brings up way to few threads, but i'll try it again. </div></div>

Bookmark this link.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minnpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the aac and i love it.

</div></div>

+1

Either one would work for your intended use. By the time you get a decent stock ont he AAC though price will be a wash.

Either way you can't go wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to pick up a 20" .308 for range and possible hunting use this fall. Plan on a .308 suppressor some time in the next year so figure might as well get one of the threaded guns.

I'm currently looking at the AAC which will run around $700 out the door or the 5R which will be closer to $1,050. Is the 5R worth the extra money or should I just buy the AAC and look to pick up a stock to replace the Hogue with?

Saving a little money would be nice, could put it towards optics and mount.

What does everyone think?</div></div>

I have the AAC-SD edition and it's a great setup. Agreed, the stock is not a very good one. However I am not a fan of the HS Precision stock on the 5R either.

I am actually selling my setup now, on the Equipment Exchange here on the Hide. PM me if you are interested. I am only selling it because I find I shoot my MWS more.

Like most everyone has said, the stock is going to make the difference in which you should purchase. If you like the HS, you will save money buying the 5R with the HS. If you prefer McMillan, AICS, etc. you will save money buying the AAC-SD and replacing that stock. Have you shot with the HS stock before? I will say one thing, the HS are light, especially the one on the 5R.

I have a SPS Tactical that I just put a used 5R stock on...If the AAC comes with a hogue stock you gonna end up wanting to change the stock out anyway so save urself the hassle and get the 5R. Unless you want one of those chassis style stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: minnpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the aac and i love it.

</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Samer here.