Remington 700 in .223 shooting 5.56x45mm ammo

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've seen quite a bit of back and forth on this topic from forum to forum, time to time. I'm wondering if specifically my Remington 700 5R chambered in .223 can safely and effectively shoot 5.56x45mm rounds such as those with M193 or M855.

Now I know what the general rule is. No one should shoot 5.56 in .223 chambered guns. It can lead to excessive pressures and premature throat wear. I understand that, and believe with certain .223 chambers this is true, however I'm hearing that the newer Remington 700s are actually built with a bit more room in the headspace. Maybe similar to Wylde dimensions?

I asked my smith today this when I went to have my muzzle brake installed. He told me I could try the following. Wait for a hot summer day let the gun bake for a while to get it nice and hot, then chamber a round of 5.56 and wait another hour or so to get it pretty toasty and expanded. Put on some good safety glasses and fire it. If the round fires like normal try a few more, if you don't get any type of blown primers or casing, then it should be fine. He's also heard that at least for some models of the Remington 700 can shoot 5.56. However as some have noted on calls to the company, the representatives often agree it can shoot it but it voids the warranty.

That last part about calling the company I only read about and didn't do personally so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement.

Does anyone, know with any certainty or have tried shooting 5.56 ammo in their Remington 700. If so, did everything turn out okay? Please explain if you've had any problems.

Re: Remington 700 in .223 shooting 5.56x45mm ammo

Yes, I've tried it. And No, I've never had a problem.

Hot 5.56x45 ammo in short-throated SAAMI-spec chambers can have pressure issues and start blanking primers. See: http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

Why guess at the answer based on what other people with other rifles tell you? Simply measure the distance to the lands in your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He told me I could try the following. Wait for a hot summer day let the gun bake for a while to get it nice and hot, then chamber a round of 5.56 and wait another hour or so to get it pretty toasty and expanded. Put on some good safety glasses and fire it. </div></div>And you might want to consider finding a more knowledgeable gunsmith.

Thanks, I didn't figure there would be a big problem. I think my smith told me this cause he knew I didn't load my own rounds.

If I'm not mistaken, a common way people measure distance to the lands is with a bullet half crimped seated far forward in the case and moving the bullet back bit by bit until the bolt can just engage, that should mean it is practically touching the lands.

The reloader would then fully seat the bullet in future rounds a bit back from that known distance so it doesn't touch the lands correct?

I know I could just be reaching, but is it possible the Remington 700's chamber may also be rated at higher than standard SAAMI pressure or is this standard pressure (50,000 CUP) what almost all .223 chambered rifles are capable of handling?

I have never tried it but I might would be willing to see what happens when shot in a bolt gun. I would be very careful and probably not do what the gunsmith said.

No actually after hearing some not so great reviews of him and his longer than expected work estimates, I decided to go with a guy named Sean from CDI Custom located in PA.

I met with him in person, and went over what I wanted for the muzzle brake install and was surprised he is thowing in some services I didn't even know he could do for no additional charge like bead blasting the stainless steel to match the barrel and removing material from the rear of the brake to match diameter for a smooth transition from brake to barrel without the need of a crush washer.

It will be done in less than 2 weeks so I'll comment about the worksmanship after I get it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone, know with any certainty or have tried shooting 5.56 ammo in their Remington 700</div></div>

In 1978 I set up a Counter Sniper Rifle using a Model 700 in 223 and carried that rifle until I retired in 1994, at the Advice of the AMU when I attended their sniper school.

The only thing I shot was M-193. Thats what I carried and that's what I practiced with. I was running the Ak NG Marksmanship unit at the time and had access to all I could shoot.

When I ran sniper schools for the guard and LE agencies, I shot the crap out of that gun, using the M-193.

When I retired I had a pretty good supply of that ammo and used it in the same gun on PDs and such.

I never had a problem. None what so ever.

I didn't know you couldn't do it until I got on the internet and all the experts (sic) told me I couldn't do it.

Great to see someone who has done this over a long period of time without any ill effects, thanks Kraig.

TonyAngel - I heard about Remingtons having a longer throat as well, thus why I also don't think there is any problem shooting 5.56 ammo. However on the flip side, wouldn't that be necessarily bad for accuracy if shooting lower weight .223 ammo? Isn't the traditional thought to have the bullet placed almost touching the lands of the bore for increased accuracy?