• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 long action, calibers????

Buzzbee

Go Cowboys
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
I was at the range this morning and they had a "like new" BDL in .270 on consignment. I cut a deal with the owner and brought it home. I have cleaned it up, have a bore full of Wipe Out in it now. I'll shoot it tomorrow, see if the barrel is straight. I belive it's the "old" trigger not the MOA, set at 5lbs, thought the think would never break. I may try and lighten it to around 3 pounds.

This was going to be my "loaner" rifle. Some friend always needs to borrow a rifle and I dont have any rifles cheap enough I would ever loan out.

Now, getting to my question. Down the road, like, after this deerr season, I may have it re-barreled, trued and bedded, add a new trigger.

QUESTION, long action, .270 boltface, what are some options? No 30-06 or .308.

6.5 PRC ?
.280AI
7mm-08
??????

LOL, great point. I'll see how it shoots, if I can get MOA or a little bigger, I will keep it as is. The stock, besides the horrible plastic coating, is quite nice. I, like most started my deer hunting with the same gun in the same caliber, so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Sounds like I have the same rifle as you.
Rem 700 with 24" barrel in 270win with the matte finish and original Walker trigger. I put it in a B&C medalist Alaskan II and dropped a Ziess Conquest 3-9 on top.
It's a handy light weight rifle that gets the job done.
I adjusted the trigger down to a little over 1.5# and have numerous times tried to get it to misfire by slamming the bolt closed and bumping the recoil pad pretty hard.

I don't think you will have to much trouble getting MOA or better out of it if the barrel is in decent shape.

270 is a great hunting round. If for some reason you have to change calibers my vote would be 280 AI. Seeing as you have a long action you may as well stick with a long action cartridge.

I have a Rem700 that was originally 30-06 and when it needed a new barrel I chose 280ackley. Nothing wrong with 30-06, I just wanted to try something different. Ammo selection was limited when I first switched to this, but since Hornady has come out with 280 ackley in their "Precision Hunter" series it makes it less of a "reload only" propisition. Granted Nosler makes ammo for 280 ackley but I've never liked any of the bullets they selected for the cartridge. Hornady is using their 168grain Eld-X bullet.

Reactions: wtmyers
moa is the winchester trigger, the old remington is called the walker trigger and xmp (x mark pro) is the new remington trigger.

Also as said above, mag bolt faces such as the 6.5prc are .540, your 270 is a .470

I like the 270 myself if you dont like the classic 30-06, 280 splits the difference.

6.5-284, 6.5x55, 6.5x55 ackley, 7x57, 7x57 ackley, 280, 280 ackley, .284 winchester, 30-06

This is a solid list! If you're keeping it as a hunting rig, the .270 won't do you wrong. If you want something for more of a range/comp focus (though still fully capable of hunting), the .280AI, 6.5X55AI (or 6.5 Addiction), 6.5-284, or regular .284 would all be excellent choices. The 7x57 is also a grand option, though factory ammo is often loaded a little light and if you're going to reload, the other chamberings would most likely out perform it.

Glad you asked this question. I just found a 30.06 and have been trying to figure if I want to keep it 30.06 when I rebarrel o4 move to 280ai. The more I read about it the more I like the sound of the 280ai.

I’m finishing a 7.62x63mm build right now. Just needs a scope and some feed ramp mods, 27” Rock Creek throated for 215gr hybrids, Lapua brass and a keg of RL26 ready to go.

Basically a 6.5 Creed with a 215gr bullet.

Big fan of the 270 as well, great caliber. Can’t go wrong honestly.