• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 long range questions

quietmike

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
Shelbyville, TN
Forgive the newbie questions, I've searched and read just about every thread on this gun.

I just scored a 700 long range in 30-06 on gunbroker after every LGS said they'd be backordered for months.

I will be sending it to a smith to get the barrel threaded for a can that is ATF jail, so is there any other mods that I should get done while it's there?

Trigger, bedding, etc?

I will be shooting (hopefully) out to 1250 yards at a local range, but not competitively anytime soon, and might hunt with it, if that helps.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
I'd probably start with getting the action trued - since Remington does seem to have some variation from time to time.

Although in all honesty, I'd shoot the sumbitch first and see if there's any short-comings in the base rifle that would be worth addressing.

Last edited:
I would get a Timney tigger at least. (I run Timney in all mine because I also hunt so Timney are known to keep up with no problem at all in rain,snow and dirt) Bedding I would say maybe not needed for this stock. From what I read about this version of 700's It has a aluminum bed if you can create a V block out of it I would say I would be better then skim betting it. Its what I liked about the choate stock is that it had a aluminum V block versus a block that is somewhat contoured to the action. Most chassis systems work on V blocks.

Either way get a trigger change out is for sure. I recently was messing with a 300WM version of the long ranger series and for me personally that trigger is a no go. The rest of the rifle felt real good and should be a shooter right out of the box. Oh one last thing might be a bigger bolt knob unless your ok with the standard that the Remington 700's come with.

A simple process: 1-Bed the scope base (1 piece) or lap the rings (2 piece base), 2-Bed the action to the stock (also a good time to space the floor plated down so you can magazine 5 rounds), 3- Adjust the trigger (3-4 lbs.), 4- Check the crown (if you're threading they should cover this), 5- Shoot. It should shoot better than you can, 0.5 to 0.75 MOA. 6- Enjoy.

^^^ I know, seeing Niles' 06 made me want to get one of these long range series. I am waiting on one in a 300 Win mag. I think I will try to bed the action and give it a trigger job. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Let us know how you like yours. What scope are you going with?

Don mean to threadjack but, how difficult is it to convert a Rem 700 to a LH version?

I'd like to pick up one of these, and then change it to a lefty versions...I want this to be a "cheap" conversion.

I may:
do the Timney trigger mod
and add a mcmillan HTG stock
and get said stock inletted for a PTG DBM...

^^^ I know, seeing Niles' 06 made me want to get one of these long range series. I am waiting on one in a 300 Win mag. I think I will try to bed the action and give it a trigger job. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Let us know how you like yours. What scope are you going with?

Trying to talk myself into springing for a PMII, haven't fully decided yet

I just went through this same ordeal with my rem 700 in .308. Ended up with the timney 510, which I'm in love with compared to factory. So much crisper. Threaded my barrel which took a lot out of my recoil with a pws brake, and bedded my scope rail, lapped the rings and mounted glass. She shoots beautifully didn't even bed my action and still does .782 at 100 yds with a winchester bonded soft point factory 150gr. It's pretty good for a factory rifle

-Tony