• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 Milspec vs. Police

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
Am looking to purchase a .308 bolt action rifle, and was wondering which of these models is considered to be the better weapon?

I'm not under the illusion that either one is the last word in accuracy, but am mainly interested in a decent quality bolt gun for casual target shooting.

Any informed opinions are greatly appreciated, as I have no experience with Remington 700's.

Thanks!

Reactions: Hola1234
Re: Remington 700 Milspec vs. Police

They are both the same, 5R is tainless, 700p is parkerized. I don't know if the 700p has the 5R rifled barrel, but the accuracy is pretty similar. So do you want black or silver?

As was just mentioned, they both are similar. I own both - the first was the 700P and later the 5R.

What do you want to do with the rifle? For the initial cost, the 700P will be approximately 50% of the 5R. Then there's the stainless vs. parkerized. I decided I didn't like the stainless so that was another $250 or so to change the color. Then there was the stock. The stocks are about the same but for the 5R I wanted more so that was another three or four pictures of William McKinley. Am I sorry I bought the 5R? No, it does very well for what I want. But that's not the question.

What do you want?
confused.gif

If I wanted a shooter for 0 - 600 yards, I would stay with the 700P. If I wanted a shooter for 0 - 900 yards, I would go with the 5R. If I wanted a shooter for 700 - 1200 yards, I'd buy myself a custom built - it's ready in March. YRMV.
wink.gif

Not crazy about the raw stainless/greenish stock on the 5R either, but since I'm only hunting paper I guess it doesn't matter.

The 5R is missing a couple of inches of barrel, but if it's a better long range gun, that takes care of that concern.

Occasionally shoot out to 600 yards, but this is limited by my location. I'll work on longer distances if/when I get the chance.

So it sounds like either rifle would meet my needs, but the 5R would allow me to grow my skills a little if I move out beyond 600.

I purchased the 5R because everywhere I read, it is considered one of the only out of the box 1/2 moa rifles out there (for the price). Now that is not a guarantee but it is what a lot of folks are getting. Compare that to the 700P which is considered a solid 1 moa rifle. I shoot the M24 sniper rifle in the National Guard. The barrel is the same one used on the 5R. The barrel used on the 700P is not the same style and is two inches longer. I dont really like the stainless finish that much, but I dont plan on stalking with this thing. Its a paper and steel shooter. I personally think the extra 200 buck is worth it.

B4

Love my 5r. Here are some shameless pic.
with YHM 762 qd can
002.jpg

Ugly ass FH YH sends
sick.gif

remmy008-1.jpg

5 shots of a handloads
moregunstuff7.jpg

Badger bolt handle
Threaded
Teflon coated
H&S DBM
Trigger @ 2,5 lbs
Leupold mark 4 4.5-14x50
Mark 4 base (20 moa)
Zeiss rings

I can't complain about my 5R either. It's by far a better shooter than i am. This is 4 shot group off a bipod, which is steady.. but not benchrest steady IMO, which is how i usually shoot groups. Needs a tactical bolt handle and bottom metal, and a new trigger. I wish i could go ahead and replace the barrel but i'll wait till it burns out because it's a shooter :D, but i want a thicker profile custom barrel with a integrated break.
155gr lapua scenars
46gr varget
Nosler Custom Brass
Winchester primers
OAL 2.801

img00125201101191732.jpg
36028_1337146910490_1285620147_30773994_326575_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 700 sps tactical in .308 is sub 1/2 MOA if that is of any help to you.. all i did was change the stock... no clue how it shot with the factory stock. </div></div>

+1 My tactical will also shoot sub 1/2 moa with 175 grain smk hand loads at 100y. I hitting 10"-12" steel plates out to 800 is not difficult. Beyond that it all depends on the wind and my ability to read it. Shown here with a Manners T-4.

005-2.jpg

It will come down to preference as almost everything in the firearm industry does. Do you want 24" SS with a 5R rifling and 1 in 11.25 twist? Or do you want 26" matte with a 1 in 12 twist? Both have good track records, and both will shoot past 1000 effectively. The reason i say past, is because there have been plenty of hits past 1000 with .308s out of 24" or longer barrel. Particularly one that comes to mind was an insurgent taken out at 1250yds by a m24. Supposedly and this is just what i've read i can't confirm anything. The reason the 5R isn't listed in the catalog and on Remmy's site is because the barrels that don't pass inspection on the m24 production line are taken, and the stripped down to a factory varmint contour and put on the 5R. Also read this is for the reason there are only around 250+ a year and are hard to find. Or were at the time of my purchase anyway. Don't take my word for it just something i read and heard.

The 5r milspec is not barreled with take offs from m24's. The 5r milspec is built by remington for Acusport Corp. exclusively....If you don't believe me call Acusport or Remington and ask. The reason it is not advertised on Remington's website is because of the contract with Acusport, the rifles are marketed by Acusport. Regardless of what dealer has one on the wall it originated at Acusport Corp. The rifling is of the same origin as the M24 but the barrels are manufactured for the 5R milspec....they are making them in .308, .300WM, and .223 now. It is true that they are more difficult to come by, there are a finite number of those rifles built per year.

Just my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toptrigger630</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5r milspec is not barreled with take offs from m24's. The 5r milspec is built by remington for Acusport Corp. exclusively....If you don't believe me call Acusport or Remington and ask. The reason it is not advertised on Remington's website is because of the contract with Acusport, the rifles are marketed by Acusport. Regardless of what dealer has one on the wall it originated at Acusport Corp. The rifling is of the same origin as the M24 but the barrels are manufactured for the 5R milspec....they are making them in .308, .300WM, and .223 now. It is true that they are more difficult to come by, there are a finite number of those rifles built per year.

Just my $.02</div></div>

Like is said that is what i read don't take my word for it.. Thanks for clearing that up though. I kinda wondered if what i read was true or not.

I have both and I can say that the 700p is nice but it will not out shoot my 5r. I like the palm swell on the 5r much better and 2" of barrel does nothing for me really. guys are shooting 18" guns out to 800-900 yards all the time so 2" is not much unless you are in bed. Either way they are both good guns

I'd have a look at the new aac model. Comes with the 1:10 twist barrel and already threaded for suppressor. Just an added twist (love the pun?).
Chad

+1 for either....do you want stainless, and the rifling, or do you like black? I ponied up the extra for the stainless and the rifling, but they are basically the same.

Torque down and hit the right peddle.

hello good I would like to buy a Remington 700 5r milspec, but I do not like the color of the weapon, I would like it to be all black, is there any way to change the color before buying it? or you have to change it once you have the weapon. And if so, how would you have to change it?
a greeting

Necro thread.....sadly Remington doesn't even exist anymore.

I support purchase of 700 receivers though...I am not a hater.

Personally I am a carbon steel guy with parkerizing for a finish.

I enjoy oiling my junk.

If you do go stainless you can get it black oxided.

I shoot 223. Have had them all but will add here that the LTR stock for me is a walking rifle. Light, short and perfect for my needs as a walking gun. Wonderful serrated trigger.
I believe the stainless actions are a better gamble than the parked based on my sample of six.

There’s lots of black Remington 5r rifles here:

And some here:

What caliber?

I would just buy one that’s already black. If there is a local silver one you want, many gunsmiths Cerakote rifle barreled actions (action + barrel). Cerakote is a very hard-wearing coating.

Reactions: Snuby642
I just got done fishing 🎣 and need to get back to work.

Why don’t some of you other boys jump in and help Hola here? He’s got a real problem on his hands and needs a team effort.

Reactions: Stoweit

308 versions

Una cosa me gustaría comprar el Remington 5r milspec en negro, ¿hay alguna página donde está?

Remington se declaro en bancarrota y la corporacion fue despedazada por el tribunal federal.

Remington, como fabricante de armas, no existe. Si quieres un fusil Remington tendras que comprar uno de segunda mano y pintarlo at tu gusto.

O llevarlo at un armero a que lo pinten como quieras.

hello good I would like to buy a Remington 700 5r milspec, but I do not like the color of the weapon, I would like it to be all black, is there any way to change the color before buying it? or you have to change it once you have the weapon. And if so, how would you have to change it?
a greeting
The beauty of a stainless steel action id you can paint it anything you want and then change it when you get bored. I am a range shooter and the color is not an issue but black, green, pink or whatever floats your boat can easily be had out of a can of Krylon. The stainless steel actions are more durable and much less prone to rust and corrosion in damp areas.