• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Remington 700 police barrel question...

Boltknob

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Hi All, I am new to this forum and hope to make frequent visits here. Using google a lot has brought me several times to snipers hide, so I thought it was time to sign up!

I have a question regarding the barrel on a stock Remington 700 police in .223 Remington.
I want to cut down the barrel to 20 inch. I have a good gunsmith who can do the job for me. So far no problems. My gunsmith told me cutting down the barrel is easy (for him).

But he also told me the boring/rifling doesn't run absolutely 100% straight through a barrel. It sorts of arcs through the bore. This could result in an off centre bore when the barrel is cut.

I know this guy for a long time and he is one h*ll of a gunsmith. He wouldn't pull my leg by telling me this. But I think it's a strange story.

Is this true? Who can give me info on this subject?

Re: Remington 700 police barrel question...

I think he is referring to how steel is not completely consistent through a barrel so you might get patches where you have rough spots.

Lapping a barrel should help this.

I have very little to none gunsmithing experience, so I have no idea what barrel lapping is. Thats ok, because I take my rifle to the smith :).

Going on what my smith told me, when the barrel is cut, the new business end could have an off centre bore....because the rifling doesn't run 100% straight through the barrel.

Its true. The bore on factory tubes may not always be centered the full length of the barrel. We cut and thread a lot of factory 10/22 barrels and they are the worst! But, its the curse of dealing with trying to do custom work with factory barrels. But in our time cutting down and threading factory centerfire barrels the Rems and Winny's aren't too bad. If you're planning on threading the muzzle just make sure he centers on the bore. But if he's a good smith he knows that already.

Depending on the results you want I'd look into an aftermarket barrel.

IM HAVING THE SAME TROUBLE WITH MY BRAND NEW REMINGTON 5-R 300 WIN MAG. I WANTED TO THREAD MY BARREL AND INSTALL A FAT BASTARD MUZZLE BREAK. WHEN I CHUCKED UP THE BARREL IN MY LATHE I HAD .016" RUNOUT ON MY BARREL. AFTER FINDING THIS OUT WE ULTRA SOUND THE BARREL TO CHECK WALL THICKNESS AND FOUND OUT THAT THE WALL THICKNESS BETWEEN THE BARREL OD AND THE BORE HAD .010" TO .025" CHANGE IN WALL THICKNESS. I COULDNT BELIEVE WHAT I SAW WHEN I SPUN THE BARREL IN THE LATHE!!! THIS GUS IS SUPPOSE TO BE ONE OF REMINGTONS TOP-OF-THE-LINE GUNS, AND THE BARREL WAS BENT RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR GUNSMITH DOES!!

I believe it. I wonder if it's worse with the hammer forged barrels like factory remingtons. I doesnt bother me if my factory 700 barrels aren't straight or centered they still shoot and that's all I Care about! I hear cutting a barrel that is not stress relieved is a bad idea I say shoot it til it doesn't shoot then get a custom barrel and have it tweaked to your liking. Here's an interesting read on barrel making...

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmithing/RSgunsmith1/

Ok, thanks everyone!

@Kenda: I am not looking for a compensator or something so threading isn't necessary. Results? I am shooting at paper targets at 100 meters. This may sound ridiculous to some of, but since I live in The Netherlands a 100 meter shooting range is becoming a somewhat of a rare thing. They closed the army shootingrange to civilian rifle shooters last year. A lot of shooters had to give up their rifle because you have to be able to shoot it (legal thing).

Shame my country is so small....would love to pick up my rifle and go shooting outdoors.

But, going back on topic: I seek to shoot hole-in-hole groups at 100 meters. Would this be impossible with an off centered barrel?

The latest factory barrels seem to be better as far as OD to bore concentric.

I have threaded a lot of the new SPS Tacticals and was impressed. However, this seems to not really show if a barrel will shoot or not.

I have seen some really out of whack barrels shoot great.