• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

remington 700 police

mikeed07

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2012
Hello I'm new to this forum. I have been looking to buy a Remington 700 rifle. I have shot my brothers 700 police in 308 and I like it a lot. I'm having trouble deciding on 308 or 300 win mag. Any ideas would be very helpful. I also looked a remington sendaro. Anyone shooting one of those?

Re: remington 700 police

SHWILL said:
If you are new to shooting, start with the 308. Lots of factory ammo & low recoil. A great place to start. [/quote

^^^^^^ + 1 I dont know what other advice to give since your profile isnt filled out. However the Remy 700 . 308 is a great platform to start with and customize if you choose to do so and plenty of aftermarket parts to help with that. If you choose to down the road then go 300 Win Mag. My .02

i would like to learn to shoot from 100 to 1000 yards. mostly around 500 yards i guess. sounds like 308 will be the answer. need to sell my m-1 garand first. thanks to all that replied.

why sell the M1 Garand?
There is something I must remind myself most times that you should consider also. "You have a whole lifetime!" M1 Garand seems something pretty cool to hold on to..
I have a M1A Super Match I actually considered selling just to get a nice scope for my GAP rifle, but I thought... you know... It wasn't easy getting this rifle, and besides... I have a blast shooting it, lol!
I'm saving up my pennies for that glass...
smile.gif

Keep the Garand, they aren't making anymore. Unless that Garand is a real dog you'll regret it someday. Save up your pennies for a .308 boltgun. The .308 has cheaper and more readily available ammunition, less recoil, and longer barrel life.

+1 mustang, don't let that garand get away, you'll end up hating yourself. I love my .308 700p, good caliber for them, heavy enough to not have to worry about wind too much when learning fundamentals at short distances (100-200), manageable recoil and longer barrel life over Winmag. If you've never shot with glass I would recommend getting a lower-end quality scope that you can learn your preferences from. Millet, SWFA, and others make decent selections that will allow you to experience what you like in reticules, mil vs. moa, whether or not additional features are worth the money: zerostop, elevation per rotation, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are new to shooting, start with the 308. Lots of factory ammo & low recoil. A great place to start. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep the Garand, they aren't making anymore. Unless that Garand is a real dog you'll regret it someday. Save up your pennies for a .308 boltgun. The .308 has cheaper and more readily available ammunition, less recoil, and longer barrel life. </div></div>

+1 Why get rid of an awesome plinking gun/conversation piece?

thanks for the input guys. i really don't want to get rid of my garand. planned to list it yesterday and just couldn't find the heart to do it. i think i will keep it. your comments have confirmed that to me. saving my pennies for that 700p in 308!

Kinda hard to beat the ole 700 pss in .308. Fine out of the box rifles for the money. Some are very accurate. I love mine.