Remington 700 SPS tactical Stock Upgrade

ROV Derf

'67 Goat Herder
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2012
South Dakota, ABR
Hello,
I have read much on here with the debate of the most quality components available for the Remington SPS tactical, but I don't have local dealers that handle high end equipment so I cant go handle the stocks I am leaning towards. I have given much consideration to the AX AICS , McRee's G-5 Folder, Mc Millian A-5 and JP's ACMS. All have the magazine upgrade I am looking for. Do any of yall have these stock upgrades and what do you think of them? Price is not my concern, it is quality. The Houge stock on my SPS is a lacking to say the least. I appreciate any insight yall may have. Thanks.

Re: Remington 700 SPS tactical Stock Upgrade

They are all good. What matters is what feels good to you. I just started shooting a XLR Evolution and really like it. Tons of adjustability, no need to bed, just pop in an AI mag and go. If you buy a McMillan, Manners, or the like, add in the cost of a bottom metal and bedding, unless you can bed it yourself.

Thanks RobG. I am definitely looking for a stock I don't have to bed. The more adjustable the better. I dont have the ability to go check them out so I will have to order online. I am trying to not have to order then send back stock after stock trying to find one that is comfortable and has excellent performance.

I don't own one, but i handled/shot my buddy's 700 SPS in a Mcree's folding chassis and it's really nice, but too square/blocky for me and a bit heavy. It's a very well-built stock though.

I would add Manners with mini chassis to the list (my SPS Tactical is in a MCS-T)

Ideally, you could get your hands on each of them and decide what fits you best, but the good thing about any of the stocks you mention is that if you decide you don't like it, you can sell it for darn close to what you paid for it - think of it as being able to rent it for a while to see if you like it.

If you're tending towards versatility and cool factor, go with one of the quality modular stocks. If you're thinking of a more traditional "workhorse", go with a no-frills Manners or McMillan and have it professionally bedded. Also, I'm an old guy and a purist, mag-fed platforms are the in-thing, but I still like a traditional, quality, after-market bottom-metal/internal magazine---nothing is more reliable than boring...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. This is my first bolt action scoped weapon system. I will look at the Manners, they were not on my radar. I am trying to make this rifle a multipurpose use platform. It's primary goal is to reach out and be accurate over 600yds for hunting in the wide open public hunting lands here in SD. Secondly I am going for light as efficiently possible. Some hunts will take some hiking. The cool factor is a part of it, cause lets face it, if it can be accurate, kill and look good doing it, why not.
For now-
Remington 700 SPS tactical
Houge stock
Cabela's Alaskan Tactical 6-18 Scope

Manners are Great Stocks. I got one in a T4A with Mini Chasis (No bedding Needed)for my custom .260 Remington 700. Although it is a very comfortable and durable stock it is a bit on the Heavy Side for what you want to do with it (I.E. Hunt and Etc) Mine with a Empty 5 Round Mag and Bushnell HDMR Scope weights close to 17 LBs so it's not a Light gun (Depends on preferences). If you want the Manner but want it light I suggest get the Mini Chasis without the Adjustable Cheek in the back, that'll Save some weight. Stocky's have some of them in Stock right now ready to ship. If you want a Chasis system then I'd stay away from AICS if you want light weight. Sounds like XLR is a pretty good setup and have a folder option as well. Good Luck with the Build!