Remington 700 SS 5R .223 Barrel Twist Rate?

Recoil Junkie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2011
Charlotte, NC
www.homewithjohn.com
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if this has been addressed previously, I couldn't find a thread on it.

I just bought a Remington 700 SS 5R with the 20" threaded barrel and can't seem to find the twist rate of the barrel. The rifle is a .223. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. I'm also looking for the most accurate factory ammo for it (bullet weight) if anyone has any suggestions as to where to start. I haven't started reloading yet, but it's on the list. Thanks guys, I'm happy to be a member, everyone seems so helpful so far.

Re: Remington 700 SS 5R .223 Barrel Twist Rate?

Welcome to the forum. I have the same gun. It is 1:9 twist. I use Black Hills 69 grain Sierra Match Kings (SMK) and it is very accurate out to 300 meters, the farthest I can shoot at my range. It is a great gun overall, if not a tad bit on the expensive side. Even cheap 55 grain commercial ammo performs well if you're just looking for.around 1 moa accuracy.

have you tried 55gr V-max loads? I have a metric shitload of Fiochi 55gr. v-max ammo for P-dogs and I need a donor gun

8k rounds? shoots sub-moa in my buds 700 tac 1/9 they use Hornady bullets which work well on the little bastards

I dont reload so the 75amax is out. these Fiochis believe it or not shoot excellent (sub-moa) out of my 24 inch Colt AR 1/9 and at $350.00 per 1k they're a buy for someone who doesnt handload and shoots 1k a day @ P-dogs YMMV

I got my 1,000 rounds of blue box Black Hills 69 grain SMK rounds off Gunbroker for 500 bucks shipped. I tend to be pretty cheap with my ammo purchases but this was one deal I couldn't pass up. The seller actually had 2,000 rounds to sell. I regret not getting the other case as well.

The 69 grain accuracy stuff holds up real well over distance and is much less impacted by the wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recoil Junkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all. I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if this has been addressed previously, I couldn't find a thread on it.

I just bought a Remington 700 SS 5R with the 20" threaded barrel and can't seem to find the twist rate of the barrel. The rifle is a .223. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. I'm also looking for the most accurate factory ammo for it (bullet weight) if anyone has any suggestions as to where to start. I haven't started reloading yet, but it's on the list. Thanks guys, I'm happy to be a member, everyone seems so helpful so far. </div></div>

I picked up the same model,less the threaded barrel, two weeks ago. Other than the trigger you will love it. Mine measures 1 in 9. I have less than 500 rounds through mine and it is dumping three shotters in less than a quarter inch at 100 yards. The five shotters are up around the .7" range. I'm using the Sierra 60 grain varmiteer with 22.8 grains of AA 2460. It's a keeper.

I agree, the X-Mark Pro trigger was very mediore. On the pull gauge it measured an average of 4.5lbs which isn't too bad but it broke inconsistnetly carying by half a pound or more between pulls. My gunsmith installed a Timney for around $125 which took a bit of milling in my AICS aftermarket stock. After tuning it breaks cleanly at a much lower 2.5lbs with barely .1lb variation. I highly recommend upgrading the trigger.

69gner's are great out of mine.but will add that I have been able to shoot the 77gn NCC with great results even the 75gn Berager VLD.all with 8208 XBR at the high end.

Thank you all for your opinions. I'll probably just start out with some 55gr Vmax stuff I have here and work my way up to a little heavier bullet. But first I have to get the thing together! I sent off the bolt to have a knob installed, bought an AICS and Nightforce, and am awaiting everything to arrive. Next will be the trigger. I'll probably go with a Jewell and mill out the AICS, unless someone thinks the Timney is as good for 1/2 the cost? I too am not a fan of the X-Mark Pro.

good read I really want to get one of these i just can't decide which length to go with .. 20" threaded to 24" none threaded

If you can find them, give Fiocchi Exacta (or is it Extrema) ammo a try. They offer it with both 69 & 77gr SMKs, and it is some of the most accurate factory ammo I have ever shot.

Any one have pictures of your 223s,stock or with muzzle brakes? Why do all the 20" threaded have a step before the threads i assume its for a low profile can, but how does a muzzle brake look? the 308s don't seem to have the step down before the threads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can find them, give Fiocchi Exacta (or is it Extrema) ammo a try. They offer it with both 69 & 77gr SMKs, and it is some of the most accurate factory ammo I have ever shot. </div></div>

Thanks man. I've been wondering about Fiocchi. I've heard good reviews about it across the net. I can't wait to get started reloading and really test out the rifle's and my ability...

I have the 24" version, and I'm shooting BHA Match red box with 77-gr SMK. So far my best is a 0.33" 5-round group. I have also shot this round out to 700-yards with good results.

Just bought one in mint condition with rail, rings, a 20 inch threaded barrel and Timeny for $885. Looking forward to some range time.