Remington Brass?

afd77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
May 29, 2008
Ohio
I am fairly new to reloading, and was sifting through the Reloading Depot looking at other people's loads for .308 175 SMKs. I noticed that very few people use Remington brass. I see that Lapua seems to be the most popular. Is there a reason no one is using Remington brass?

Re: Remington Brass?

Thanks. Remington is all I could find. The fact that it was all that was left probably should have told me something huh?

I have used a lot of Rem brass in hunting calibers before. But usually Lapua gets in the box for matches. Like Two Shoes said. If it's what I had I would prep it just like I do other match brass and use it. It may not be as hard as Winchester. But if you have everything set up right you can get several loads out of it.

The Remington brass will get you thru a couple or more reloads if your prep it just like the lapua. Some pieces may even get 6 or 7 reloads if your lucky. My order of brass is lapua, winchester, remington and federal. I think , and someone correct me if I am wrong but, that is about the hardness order also.
My load for remington brass is:
175 SMK
fed 210m primer
43.7 grains Varget

out of my 26 inch barrel that is good for 2720 fps

the more you take care of your brass the more use can get out of it.

I'm on #10 with mine. Like said above depends on how hot you load it and how much you size it. Mine get neck sized until it's hard to chamber. Then I bump the shoulder back a little. Most my shooting is at 1 to 200 yds so no need to load real hot. 44 grains Varget does well in my rifle. I can kick it up to 45.4 before I see psi signs but at the distance I'm shooting 44 makes bug holes when I do my part. The weight of Rem brass isn't real consistant.