• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

REMINGTON MODEL 5 question

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
got a flyer today from cabela's, on the front there is a picture of a remington model 5 22. beautiful looking gun. it's on sale for 189.99 for 4 hours this saturday.

i did a search here couldn't find much on it. did a online search, most reviews are done at 50 yds., but will be shooting it 100 and 200.

1. anyone here have one?

2. what kind of groups you getting at 100 and 200? is it grouping better than a cz?

3. is it worth spending the 189.99 for that, or put that much toward a cz?

seems like it only has the grooved receiver for rings, so even with my cabela's points and registration and getting it drilled and tapped, it's probably going to run at least $275.00 before i even take it to the range.

what's the good the bad and the ugly about this rifle?

Re: REMINGTON MODEL 5 question

Saw a review about a year ago in Gun Tests or Rifle. They gave it pretty good marks but it's not in the class of the better CZs.
Resale would probably suck compared to a CZ as well.

resale dropped over $100 when the new book came out they are a serbian import by remington. they look ok-shoot pretty good, but i had alot of problems with it not ejecting spent shells. you could not pic them out with a screwdriver like most. you had to keep a cleaning rod with you at all times. kinda sucked after 3 shots then drive home to eject the case.

i got rid of it and found another marlin 880sq. could not be happier!

Can't comment directly on the Model 5, but you needn't drill/tap.

There are tip-off to Weaver conversion rails for CZs, and one of these for the CZ American ( or maybe the Euro models) might work.

Additionally there's a B-Square air rifle mount that ought to work well, and is adjustable for angle.

Either of these options runs about $45.

yeah i seen those, would probably get it drilled antapped though.

the jist of it is, i have cabela points to use up, plus an extra mailer for 20.00 off for a purchase over 120.00. i just called my "local" cabelas (about 1.5 hours away), the guy said i can use both the points and the 20.00 off toward the rifle. with tax and registration, should be about $175.00.

although i love my mkii, (-1.75" @ 100 YARDS, 6.5" @ 200 GROUPS) i think i hit the accuracy wall and can't get much more out of it. i was saving up for a cz, but when i seen this remington, it caught my eye for a dedicated silhoutte set up. can't seem to find through a search, many folks that has grouping #'s posted past 50 yards though. (i stopped shooting at 50).

i don't mind passing this up and going with the cz for the extra $, but if the model 5 is close, i'll take a trip on saturday to get it. just not convinced yet, so if you guys have any other opinions, reviews, or experience with it i'd appreciate it.

do you think it's close enough to justify a close to 300.00 less to pay for the mod. 5?

is it close enough quality / feel wise to the cz?

if you've had any experience with a savage mkii, would you say the model 5 is more accurate?

sorry for all the questions, seems you are knowledgeable about rifle (i'm having a hard time finding real world info on it), and at 175.00 out the door, i don't want to pass up the oppurtunity, but i also don't want to waste my time with the model 5.

once again if anyone has group measurements at 100 and 200 yards i'd appreciate the info, and if it's seemingly better than a mkii and even not quite a cz, i'll get it.

i don't want to have a "should've bought a cz" moment.....but i don't want to have a "should've bought that remmy" moment either.

did searches everywhere, most are shooting them at 25 to 50 yards with about an +1" group(YAWN) at least they think so. hell, just about anything shoots at 25 to 50 yards. you mention 100 or 200 yards, and they say I'm crazy. "I GUESS ALL THE GOOD SHOOTERS RESIDE AT THE HIDE".

help me decide by saturday

I have one and I like it just fine. (for what I spent and what I do with it). I wrote a pretty lengthy review over on rimfire central. For doing silhouette I think you will be happier with the CZ. I used ALL of the trigger adjustment on my model five and the trigger pull still pretty much sucks. Also additional magazines are tough to get and need tweaking to get them to feed the last round. There is a "design" out on the web to modify the Mossberg plinkster mags to fit, but I haven't tried it. I only have about 1,200 rounds through mine, and mostly at 50 yards. (testing various ammo). It shoots a bunch of stuff into 1" at 50 yds. It shoots a few brands/loads into 1/2" at fifty yards. I have not had anything shoot well enough at 100 yards that I would want to use in a competition. It does have a nice fit and finish to the metal and wood. It also has a nice heft and feel, i.e. it 'feels' like a real rifle.

I have had a couple of failures to extract, almost all of those were on the hyper-velocity loadings. Those are very inaccurate anyway. The other was midway through a string of some federal bulk pack that I had added some lube to after weigh sorting as one of my ammo tests. The lube was just too sticky and gummed up the chamber. I have had no failure to eject. The solid scope rail is just fine. I used the Burris Signature rings with the off-set inserts.

The most accurate load that I have tried is the Federal Automatch. I think it is the same load as their standard velocity GMM. Just got a brick of Wolf MT; won't be able to get out to try it before the weekend.
Skinz - what was the trigger like on yours? I've typed to a number of folks that seem surprised that mine is so bad, especially after some adjustment.

Mine started at about 6 lb, gritty, alot of creep and over-travel. Now it is about 4lb, with one gritty little spot before breaking, not much over-travel. It is terrible compared to my Savage M-93 with the Accu-trigger. But on the whole I still really like the rifle - but I would never consider it for competition; unless I could get the trigger done by a competent smith, and find out what caused the occaisional failure to extract and have that corrected.
I think they are a pretty decent deal at the under $200 sale price, but at the $300 suggested retail, I'll get a Savage or CZ.

So - did anyone else pick one up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw a review about a year ago in Gun Tests or Rifle. They gave it pretty good marks but it's not in the class of the better CZs.
Resale would probably suck compared to a CZ as well. </div></div>
Probably suck next to a Cz as well. I cant agree more.

Do you really want to play?