• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Removing live primer from case

Re: Removing live primer from case

Pushed out hundreds with a press, an hammered/knock out as many more with a Lee de-capper.

I don't find a difference using them or un-mollested ones either. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might want to throw a set of ears on just in case. Go slow. </div></div>

And don't forget the eyes.

I've done it before using the sizing / de-priming die. When I've done mine, I just went easy on it and have never had a problem. If the primer still looks good I'll still use it too.

I have read to put water in the case, or soak them for a while, few hours? then decap, obviously this leaves the primer unusable, but if you wanted to use the primer why remove it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or chamber it and fire it... </div></div>

Most likely he forgot to resize it, so it may or may not chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or chamber it and fire it... </div></div>

Most likely he forgot to resize it, so it may or may not chamber. </div></div>

no problem to resize with the primer installed, just remove the decap pin, I have even sized finished ammo with a body die

i have decapped with a live primer in a case quite a few times. and never had one go off. but, i do take care to protect myself. i put up a make shit "blast wall" out of some aluminum sheeting around the press. ears, eyes and gloves on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or chamber it and fire it... </div></div>

Most likely he forgot to resize it, so it may or may not chamber. </div></div>
Possibly, but.....if it extracted from the chamber it will go back in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done it before without a problem. </div></div>

I have do but I cringe everytime

yup it is, put in your ear protection look the other way and pop them out. I have done 1,000's and never had one go off. You will be nerves as I still am doing it but its a good thing will keep you on your toes. keep fingers away fromt the press just in case. the only time I had a primer go off or pop or what ever was once when I was seating one in some old military brass.