• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Removing Remington stock finish

DLBlack

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
O.K., first off I buy a Remington ADL stock without asking if the checkering was pressed or cut. I was wanting pressed so I could steam/sand for a smooth stock. As my luck would have it, it is an early stock with very nice CUT checkering. I know I would never get it to look right if I tried to sand the checkering, so I just decided to leave it and refinish in an oil finish. So I put some Savogran Strypeeze on the stock. This stuff has worked on everything else I have ever used it on. The Remington stock finish laughed at it! I let it sit for about 45 minutes and when I wiped it off you could not even tell where it had been. Any suggestions?

Re: Removing Remington stock finish

Citristrip gel might work for you, have had some success with it in the past. Oh and a giveaway for a pressed checkering stock is usually a metal buttplate, well I have found that in my experience.

Just scrape it off. Use a 12" steel ruler like you would a draw file. Hold one end of the ruler in each hand, use the 90 degree edge aginst the stock, apply a little pressure and then pull the ruler back towards you. The edge will take off the finish and not harm the wood below.

I just stripped the vaarnish off of a 1980 bdl stock. I went to ace hardward and bought a biodegradable citrus stip. Its in a green and white can with an orange lid.

I sprayed it on an let it sit for 24 hours. The varnish was literally disolved.

There were a few areas that needed 2 applications.

After 24 hours I ran it under warm water and rinsed it off and lightly went over it with an sos pad.

The whole process was easy and painless.

I sanded it and refinished it with 15 coats of truoil. The stock looks amazing and has a nice, deep dull/matte finsh.

I tried the Citristrip. I just tried a small area to see the results and it seems to be working very well. Thanks for the suggestions.