• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Resizing Belted Magnum Brass

bmk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Nebraska, USA
As we all know, the area just ahead of the belt gets bigger and bigger with each firing and eventually makes chambering a loaded round difficult.

Has anyone tried the Redding body die?
Redding Body Die 300 Win Mag

It's only got two reviews, so I thought I would check here as well.

I'd also be interested to hear any other solutions you all have.

Thank you

Re: Resizing Belted Magnum Brass

sorry, I couldnt help myself

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pCrjLVSapII&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pCrjLVSapII&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That die wont reach. I have it. Check out the Larry Willis die at www.larrywillis.com </div></div>

^^^^My exact same experience...

You gotta get a Willis die and then all will be better.

-Frank

Ouch, just spent $99 for the die plus shipping.

Hopefully it arrives quickly, I've got a pile of brasss that needs reworked.

What kind of brass life are you guys getting? I've never been able to shrink the belt back, so three firings is about my limit so far.

Do any of you happen to be using win brass in a 300 win mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry, I couldnt help myself

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pCrjLVSapII&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pCrjLVSapII&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That die wont reach. I have it. Check out the Larry Willis die at www.larrywillis.com </div></div>

So after sizing with neck, or full length die, you then size with the collet die? Sorry but Im pretty new to reloading, how do accurately bump the shoulder back without having a gauge like Larry sells?

I routinely use a Lee collet neck sizing die on my winmag cases. I'm on the 4th firing. The area above my belt measures 0.510. Sammi spec is 0.513. My cases are thinner, not bulging. How r you guys getting bulging above the belt? I FL size every 4th firing, and have my FL die set to only bump the shoulder 0.001-0.002. I've had no feeding or extraction problems. I'm not sure this Larry Willis die is really necessary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GrnMtnRidgeRunnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got 5 and 6 loads on two of my batches of .300wm in Winchester. I full length size them every time and have trimmed each twice. They are belling above the belt some, but then again so am I so who's to complain. </div></div>

Me,too! And it's my wife complaining. But then again, she'd complain if she was hung with a new rope.

if you fl size a 300 win mag every loading you will get the bulge. 300 win mag rounds should always be fl sized for hunting applications as the animals you hunt with a big rifle tend to be of the variety that will trample or bite and above all other considerations the ammo must feed in the rifle

Maybe your chamber is more loose or your loads aren't as hot.

I've got around 100 pieces of brass, some on their second loading, some on their third. Every once in a while, maybe one round out of a five round magazine, it gets hard to close the bolt.

It's common knowledge that belted magnums expand just ahead of the belt, and that area is never sized back down with normal dies. In theory, the largest it could get would be to chamber dimensions, so I've always been able to get the bolt closed.

However, I use this rifle for hunting, and want fast and smooth follow up shots if one is ever necessary. I bought the Larry Willis die, but haven't started using it on my brass yet.

I forgot to add another conern is that the brass fired in my rifle will expand to fit my rifle's chamber. If my buddy or my brother uses my handloads and their rifle has a tighter chamber, they may not be able to chamber a round or close the bolt.

Also, one of my favorite places to pick up brass is at gunshows. It's about the only thing worth buying at any of the crappy gunshows around here. If that brass was fired in some guy's loose chambered Ruger (just as an example), it may not want to chamber in my custom shop Remington Chamber.

As I understand it, Larry Willis's collet base die is only needed if brass firing on one magnum rifle is to be used in another.

I have also noticed that some published 7mmRM data is so wimpy, that the base above the belt never swells, so I would not need Larry's die for that either.

Bart Bobbitt, long time national level long range competitive shooter, likes the cases sized above the belt, not just so they will fit, but wants extra room so the cartridges can orient concentric with the bore
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/7mm-rem-mag-headspace-85163/index2.html#post607530

I am going to have to buy one.

I have a match chamber in the 7RM. I use a Forster bushing/bump die and a Wilson arbor press seater. I found that after the 2cnd firing some of the cases wouldn't fit in the seater anymore without having to be pryed out. The 3rd firing (I tried only a few for curiosities sake) was really bad along with some of the cases not chambering well. I bought larry's collet die, solved all the issues.