• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Retical blurs out on me, need help

TARFU

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
PA
For background I am 45 y/o, very near sighted, and corrected with contact lenses to almost 20/20. I just mounted a Leupold 4.5-14X50 mildot and adjusted the ocular looking at the sky per the manual.

My problem is that the retical blurs out on me at 14X to the point I can't see the intersection on the target. The longer I stare, the worse it gets. I am better shooting both eyes open (like I shoot handgun)but then I get double vision.

This is not as much a problem at 10X but the type of target makes a difference. With the red diamonds on the 100yd precision target I'm shooting almost .90. With a small orange dot target, .60 ( all 5 shot groups @ 100yd)

I know my rifle will shoot better because a friend has shot it .30. I found that I need to shoot fast to do well. IE: look, align, squeeze. As soon as I look for more than a second, I lose focus. What am I doing wrong??????

Re: Retical blurs out on me, need help

This is caused by your eye fatiguing. I am not sure how one corrects this but I have experienced this on several occasions. Did you perhaps just start taking a new medication?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is caused by your eye fatiguing. I am not sure how one corrects this but I have experienced this on several occasions. Did you perhaps just start taking a new medication? </div></div>

No new meds.

I dont have the scope or any experience with it. but have you adjusted the focus by looking at a wall or the sky and adjust until the RETICAL is clearly focued NOT whats beyond?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont have the scope or any experience with it. but have you adjusted the focus by looking at a wall or the sky and adjust until the RETICAL is clearly focued NOT whats beyond? </div></div>

Focused the retical itself against the sky.

i dont know i have a weaver t-series does the same thing, my advise to you is what i was told to do. everyone else i know that has looked down my scope loves it. so i'm gunna sell it.

With the Leupold you have different eye relief at 10X and 14X....could be exacerbating the problem.

Also when you adjust the reticle with the eyepiece do it at max power, side focus set to infinity and pointed at a blank wall or the sky.
The VERY important thing to remember when doing this is to only peep through the scope for a brief look to see if the reticle's crisp. Any more than that and your eye will focus the reticle and you will think you have it adjusted only to run into eye fatigue faster and problems like you are describing.

Thanks above. I had the power on 14X but not sure about the parallax when I adjusted the ocular. Will do this again next session. However, it seemed pretty much right on from the factory.

At the range today another member shot the rifle and adjusted back the parallax knob and bingo, problem fixed. I thought the side focus was to focus only the target, but it worked and my groups SHRUNK. Also, Mr, Seekins is right as I am not getting a good cheek weld with my HTG stock. Its more like a chin weld. I'm looking at the Karsten unit. I like the Eagle pack but I don't think it will raise me up the 1/2" I need. Any advice here?

Cut a neoprene mouse pad into pieces and tape as many layers as you need them to the stock under a Eagle pack for extra lift without drilling through your HTG......

For reticle focus, I use a white paper towel, folded in half, and wrap it on objective. Then, either have a flashlight or natural light shine through. Works like a charm, as all you see is the reticle and a very bright, white back ground.