• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Rifle Scopes reticle breakdown

JacobJ

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I'm looking for help in understanding the reticle in a Millet TRS-1 scope. I understand what is 1 mil on the reticle. What I'm looking for is what is the dimension of the dot, the line/hash mark and the distance between the two. This is an example of what I'm looking for. http://www.impactguns.com/store/mildot.html

I have tried contacting Millet, but did not get a response.

Thanks,
Jacob

Re: reticle breakdown

Thanks ipaintguns, but I have seen that and I'm not convinced it is accurate. According to the directions the Mildot is .2 mils and from the top of the Mildot to the top of the Dotbar is 1 mil. I have a TRS-1 and the Mildot is twice the size of the Dotbar which means the Dotbar is .1 mil and the line between the two is .9 mils. If this is all correct then this reticle sucks for ranging.

I'm begining to think this reticle was designed to be 1 mil from Mildot to Mildot and the Dotbar is just a half way marker. What I need to do is get to a 100yd range to see if the reticle works this way on 16x.

Has anyone verified their TRS-1 to see if the reticle was accurate,and if so what power?

Thanks,
Jacob

Get a tape measure and tape it to a target board. Then take the readings and see for yourself. If it were me, I'd do it with a cm tape measure at 100 meters. A .1 mil is one cm at 100 meters. A mil is 10 cm at 100 meters etc.

Take some careful measurements and WRITE THEM DOWN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jacob J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks ipaintguns, but I have seen that and I'm not convinced it is accurate. According to the directions the Mildot is .2 mils and from the top of the Mildot to the top of the Dotbar is 1 mil. I have a TRS-1 and the Mildot is twice the size of the Dotbar which means the Dotbar is .1 mil and the line between the two is .9 mils. If this is all correct then this reticle sucks for ranging.

I'm begining to think this reticle was designed to be 1 mil from Mildot to Mildot and the Dotbar is just a half way marker. What I need to do is get to a 100yd range to see if the reticle works this way on 16x.

Has anyone verified their TRS-1 to see if the reticle was accurate,and if so what power?

Thanks,
Jacob </div></div>

The one I used to have ranged somewhat accurately at 10x, not at 16x.

Here is what I found out at the range today.
reticle.jpg

Not real pleased with the reticle. As you can see it is not the best set up for ranging. Having the Mildot =.2mils and the Dotbar =.1mils slow the ranging process down.

fng- No, that would be 1.05 mils. That's not much but it starts to add up. Check out the new pic and see where you would need to hold for 5 mils. You cannot just count the mildots\hashmarks since the values are not the same. Instead you need to add up each of the values:hash=.1, mildot=.2, line between=.9
reticle2.jpg

sniperaviator- Thanks. Here is a thread explaining how to post pics.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2106517&page=1

As far as the image goes, I took a screen shot of the reticle on line by hitting the "Prtsc" button on the keyboard then opening up "Paint" program and clicking "Edit" for the drop down menu and clicking "Paste". The program is easy to learn how to use. Just play around a bit and you will figure out how to edit the image.

That would make it really hard to do accurate ranging at long distances...it is already very difficult, but having a scope that doesn't measure accurately, or consistently would make using the scope for ranging your shots at something like 893 yards really difficult.

Actually as long as it's a variable and SFP, you might want experiment with the distance between either just the dots, or just the hash marks, and find the power setting at which they are exactly 1.0 mil apart. Then instead of ranging at 10x, you might find that by ranging at 9x or 11x or whatever, will give you the range at a glance.

You could also add a little strip of white tape for indexing.

Just a thought...

ipaintguns-The info posted was for 10x.

MeridianMW-I was hoping for the same, but did not have enough magnification to get to 1 mil between dots.

"You could also add a little strip of white tape for indexing."
I'm not following you on this one. Could you please explain?

Thanks,
Jacob

Well I was assuming you would be able to find a spot in your magnification range which would correspond to 1 mil, or 1/2 mil, 2 mils, whatever, to make ranging easier.

Then once you determine that mag setting, you could mark it on your mag ring with tape.

I would think with a little experimentation, and then a bit of practice (okay, maybe should say a lot), you would get pretty quick at ranging.

Good luck, MeridianNW~