• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes reticle selection Horus H-37 vs. Gen 2 XR

OldGuard

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
Deltona, Florida, USA
I am new to Sniper's Hide and the forum and may not posted this in the correct place. I am requesting assistance in selecting the reticle for a 5-25x56 scope ... I've narrowed it down to two: Horus H-37 and Gen 2 XR. Any insight would be greatly be appreciated especially from anyone who has had both or experience with both. It's a lot of money and I can't afford to make a mistake.

Re: reticle selection Horus H-37 vs. Gen 2 XR

OK, I'll help. First what do you want the scope for? The H37 is a pretty special reticle, its mainly for really long shots without dialing. I had one, ditched it for the other H reticles which I do like. I didn't care for it as it had a lot of clutter in the parts of the scope I use for spotting and or observing. I really like the H27, and the H58 appears to be good too. The older H25 is OK too, but a lot more guys don't like it.

The Gen 2 XR is good. The S&B with them is getting a premium these days, should you be lucky enough to find one, bring $$$. Good reticle, as is the plain Gen 2.

Mikee: Thanks for the insight. I'm considering the Premier Heritage ...for the most part will have two uses: 1st for long range shooting which I'm just getting into, 2nd my oldest son is a Deputy Sheriff and on occasion will use it on his job; his department will allow deputies use non-issued equip if it is approved,the Deputy buys it, and the Dept. Armorer approves it, and the deputy qualifies with it.

I used the Hours web on-line demo, but it shows the bullet strike with a red dot that is easy to spot and move to for a 2nd shot.

When you use your H27 scope, do you always use the H27 reticle using the Horus method or dial in adjustments ? If you were purchasing a h27 scope today what would you buy ? I'm trying to avoid making a purchasing mistake.

Thank you again for your reply & insight

Proficiency with the H reticles requires considerable practice. In order for your son to utlize the H reticle in any manner even approaching its intended use, he will have to put time in. If you both are not going to dedicate ALOT of time practicing with the rifle/scope, I suggest a simpler and therefore more universally useful reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I'll help. First what do you want the scope for? The H37 is a pretty special reticle, its mainly for really long shots without dialing. I had one, ditched it for the other H reticles which I do like. I didn't care for it as it had a lot of clutter in the parts of the scope I use for spotting and or observing. I really like the H27, and the H58 appears to be good too. The older H25 is OK too, but a lot more guys don't like it.

The Gen 2 XR is good. The S&B with them is getting a premium these days, should you be lucky enough to find one, bring $$$. Good reticle, as is the plain Gen 2. </div></div>

You pretty much summed up my thoughts on the subject. I'm liking my H-58!!!

Chief Warrant Officer: Thanks for your input. My son has much more training/experience than I whereas while he was in the USMC he was a Scout-Sniper using 7.62x51 and 50BMG ... at that time their scope was a 10x fixed power. Whereas I have the money now to obtain a really good scope and never had been able before, I wanted to get a excellent scope which if I lucky I'll be able to purchase a 50BMG or 338Lapua later this year was why I was getting the 5-25x56 now.

I should re-phrase my e-mail requesting input as to what reticle would be the best as what knowledge I have is from the manufactures and not from those who have used the equipment. I do know I want a scope with reticle in first focal plane and milrad adjustment. On the H27 reticle ... is it feasible to use it for close to intermediate distances and for quick follow up 2nd shots, then the elevation/windage knobs to dial in for long distance shots ?

Thank you and Mikee Booshay for taking time to assist me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldGuard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When you use your H27 scope, do you always use the H27 reticle using the Horus method or dial in adjustments ? If you were purchasing a h27 scope today what would you buy ? I'm trying to avoid making a purchasing mistake.
</div></div>

I usually dial elevation and hold wind whenever possible. The H reticles main strength is for followup shots, or for first shots when you don't have the time to dial, which for hunting and target shooting shouldn't be very often. If you have misjudged range or wind though, AND CAN TELL WHERE THE POA WAS WHEN THE SHOT BROKE, it's good. Otherwise, you will be better off with the Gen2. The previous poster is correct, the things aren't for everyone, and take practice.

As far as what scope, anything you can buy a Gen 2 or H-whatever in, will be a good scope. Not real fond of the Horus scopes, but the reticle can be had in a Nightforce, Premier, US Optics, or Schimdt. Probably a Hensoldt too, but not sure on that. All those are first rate scope, pick one you like, the list may not be that short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...intended purpose...</div></div>

Probably not, since Dennis Sammut invented the reticle for donkey hunting in Australia.

I like the horus. Hands free operation is awesome.
the H27 doesn't give you enough mils in windage. It is simple and easy to use. Good for low wind engagements.
vn2xif.jpg

I like the H58 much better. It allows more mils in windage and has other features built into the reticle. The horizontal crosshair continues to the edge of the scope. The 1 mil dots for wind help greatly in higher wind situations. The windage and elevation dots at .5 mil also enhance the capabilities of precise aiming.
29bhpba.jpg

If you have multiple range, rapid engagement targets. Maybe shooting from alternate positions that would make it hard to dial on data. Or if you are in winds that are shifting faster than you can dial and get back on tgt. The horus may be for you. After shooting it for 2 days I was sold. I started on a H27. Have shot the H37 and H25. I prefer the H58.

I only dial on my suppressor and night vision shifts, and if the tgt is so far that I need extra mils. Other than that I don't touch shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the horus. Hands free operation is awesome.
the H27 doesn't give you enough mils in windage. It is simple and easy to use. Good for low wind engagements.
vn2xif.jpg

I like the H58 much better. It allows more mils in windage and has other features built into the reticle. The horizontal crosshair continues to the edge of the scope. The 1 mil dots for wind help greatly in higher wind situations. The windage and elevation dots at .5 mil also enhance the capabilities of precise aiming.
29bhpba.jpg

If you have multiple range, rapid engagement targets. Maybe shooting from alternate positions that would make it hard to dial on data. Or if you are in winds that are shifting faster than you can dial and get back on tgt. The horus may be for you. After shooting it for 2 days I was sold. I started on a H27. Have shot the H37 and H25. I prefer the H58.

I only dial on my suppressor and night vision shifts, and if the tgt is so far that I need extra mils. <span style="color: #FF0000">Other than that I don't touch shit.</span>
</div></div>

JJ Wasn't that you that won a prestiges Sniper comp without dialing at all?

Old Guard,
I don't know if it was you who I spoke to or not last week, but basically the Horus system- no matter which reticle you use is a tool and like any tool you must practice with it to become proficient. If you have the time and the willingness to learn the system then the Horus can be a good choice, BUT if you are not willing to put in the practice time then the Gen II XR would be an easier reticle for you to use.

If you have any questions you can call me 540-868-2044.

Paul

I shot a Night Force FFP F1 3.5-15x.
I couldn't dial any elevation because one of the zero stop screws snapped in the turret.
I did dial on Left .2 mils for my PVS-26
There was a shot that put my hold on the bottom most mil line at the bottom edge of the scope. Since I couldn't dial elevation I just went from 15x to 13x. It brought my hold off the bottom edge of the scope. It's a technique.
I like the versatility of the horus. It is an aquired taste. You either like it or hate it. Havn't seen much in between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I shot a Night Force FFP F1 3.5-15x.
I couldn't dial any elevation because one of the zero stop screws snapped in the turret.
I did dial on Left .2 mils for my PVS-26
There was a shot that put my hold on the bottom most mil line at the bottom edge of the scope. Since I couldn't dial elevation I just went from 15x to 13x. It brought my hold off the bottom edge of the scope. It's a technique.
I like the versatility of the horus. It is an aquired taste. You either like it or hate it. Havn't seen much in between.</div></div>

Well that pretty much tells the tale on Horus versatility.

I wish NF would change their ZS stop to the configuration that's on their compact series. I ended up buying the same model you used.I like those 10 mil knobs! and H-58.

Congrats on the win BTW!

I'd like to thank everyone who offered their opinion ... it saved me from making a very expensive mistake of buying the H37 in a top quality scope ... Premier Reticles or Schmidt & Bender.

I have decided on the Horus H-58 in a S&B 5-25x56 PM .... now the challenge is to find it while I have the money before something breaks requiring the money to be spent.

Again thank you all !!