• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Abuse

x ring accuracy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2008
Parrish, Fl.
www.xringaccuracy.com
Not sure where to put this so here goes.....I sent my fathers M98 Mauser to John Van Dyke. John had built a rifle for me in the past so I trusted him. After 8 months of religiously calling him every 2 months....he always said he was busy. I let it go. Finally I called this past monday and asked the rifle be returned. I spoke with Bill, he did in fact send it out. Thank God. I was a bit dissappointed as the stock wasa broken, the barrel covered in rust and the dog hair covered everything. Maybe the dog hair buffered some abuse? Anyway, I am not here to castrate them, just SEVERELY dissatisfied.
100_0853.jpg

100_0854.jpg

Re: Rifle Abuse

I'd seriously get a response from the so called gun smith as to how this all happened. An explination. Something. Let him know you are getting quotes for the repairs. Then go get some quotes for the repairs.
He's about to be real busy. Busy defending himself.

There's no excuse for that type of service and unless you are willing to take it in the rear, I'd get on the phone with that guy quick to let him know you are not satisfied and that you are going to do everything in your power to become satisfied. Good luck.

Mike

Did he send it back insured? I doubt that it was damaged in shipping but could have been.Looks like it was dropped on a concrete floor.Maybe that's why he was procrastinating.

I'd be looking for compensation.

Steve

Having had bad experiences w/ several 'smiths in the past I have to say I feel your pain. There is no excuse for the condition of that gun. Have you been able to question what happened to it? Since we're on the subject: I understand that you get what you pay for and all that sh!t , but why is it that people put up w/ so much sh!t form 'smiths. Is it just me or does every 'smith that says he'll have it done w/in X time frame exceed it drastically? I mean if you tell me that I'm the kind of guy thats gonna take your word and hold you to it. But it seems every time I'm told that nobody ever delivers on their promise. Put it in perspective, if this was a car mechanic or heaven forbid a Dr giving you such vageries would you sit back and feel bad like you're bothering him/her every time you call? I think not. You want a f-ing solution. I wish I have had better experiences w/ 'smiths up to date and sorry for the ramble. keydiverfla, I hope this gets resolved for your sake.

Thats crap that anyone in the business of restoration or repair to treat someone elses property like that. You shouldn't have to demand any type of reimbursement or compensation period. The smith you sent it to should have volunteered to make it right. I hope you get what your owed and you should certainly follow up on making him pay.

I would like to know his side as well. Shit happens and life sucks sometimes but at LEAST he could have called or put a note in with the rifle saying SOMETING! I'm not sure if the smith is a member here. It's VanDyke Rifle Designs. They are on the web. Will keep you posted as the saga continues.

I was thinking it was VanDyke here in Gilbert AZ and was going to offer to stop by for you, but the VD you listed is in KS.....

No wood in box=broken in shop. No explanation or reimbursement=F'ed up business.

that is full on fucked....

i had a "smith" put on a set of sites on a 1911 for me years back. the guy dissapeared with my gun never to be seen again...got word later that it had been used in a homaside and will never get it back.

i will never ship a gun to a guy..ever..find some one local so you can woop their ass if the need be...

good luck.

I can't believe some people. I'd never send a customers gun out like that. Not to mention that if something like that happened, I'd fix the issue for the customer. I can't believe some of the shit I've seen from smiths here and elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant but come on you gunsmiths, have some pride in your work.

Mike

You were completely in the right to call and its obvious you didn't bombard the guy every 3 days so its not because you were the "Asshole Client". I would absolutely send him an email, phone call and also a Certified Letter demanding compensation for that stock. Also take it to a local smith and see if the rust did any damage to the rifling and if so get a fair price to replace it and demand that.

If none of this comes to fruition post his information on every site known to man that pertains to guns as no one should have to deal with that shit...