• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle barrel length question?

Walsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hi, I am am a new member on here so I hope this is the place were I needto post this question.

I currently have a Remington 700 SPS-V .308, 26"x.750" rifle and am looking to get the barrel cut. The maximum range that I have access to is around 500 yards. This rifle is my hunting rifle/ target rifle/ do anything rifle. So my question is this, if most of my shots are 150 or less yards (while hunting), is a 20" barrel necesary for anything less than 300 yards? Because that would be the max range I would shoot at a whitetailed deer because of my limited skill. Would an 18" or 16.5" barrel be better?

I plan on adding some sort of muzzel brake if ya'll wanted to know, can ya'll give me suggestions for a good, cheap brake?

My rifle only weighs about 12 pounds, so weight is not a problem.

Sorry if my words may seem a bit confusing, just kind of thinking out loud.
smile.gif

Thank you in advance,
P.B.Walsh

Re: Rifle barrel length question?

Remington LTR is 20". Seems to be a good compromise.12 pounds is heavy for a walking rifle so if you have 500 yds. to shoot think about the longer distance as well.This gun sounds as if it would be used as more of a bench/stand rifle.Pick up something lightweight to kick around with and as a backup. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

I cut my 24" AR10 barrel to 20" to save a little weight and make it more manuverable. Effective range on a NATO .308 is about 800m, so I figure that's about right.

I can't buy another rifle right now since I have zero dollars, right now I am saving up to replace my BSA scope with a Leupold Mk4 and to get the barrel cut down.

That 18 incher looks great, and might give me more respect for shorties!!

Please keep up the suggestions,
P.B.Walsh

You will have a fireball at the end of your barrel when you shoot a 16.5" barrel. It will be louder too. Add a muzzle brake will make it even louder. What I have is a 20" with a badger FTE brake. That is what I would suggest. You could go with an 18" but 16.5" is too short IMHO.

16ljrxl.jpg

Hope this helps

Gene

Is cutting the barrel as simple as taking it to a gunsmith and having them cut/crown the existing one? I currently have a 24in barrel, but have really been thinking about an 18in one, especially since I started tracking LL and the progress with his. I just don't want to buy a new barrel as mine has less than 300 rounds down the tube...