Rifle plans

davis21b

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
Ok,so here is my plans on my rifle for when I get back. Savage 11 LRH 6.5 Creedmoor, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP, TSP Rings and Base, thinking about adding a bipod also. I'm not sure what size rings I should use though low, medium, or high? What you think about the setup?

Re: Rifle plans

I have an Savage 10 FCP HS Precision with low Seekins rings and base. I just took off a 4-16x50 PST and it had plenty of clearance. I actually called Glen Seekins to ask him this question and he said to get the low ones. You want the lowest ones you can use without your scope touching the barrel. I would suggest getting the Seekins as they don't cost very much more, but are in the same league as the really expensive ones. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/
I almost bought one of those rifles instead of my HS Precision. I found it very appealing, but I can only vouch for the one have which is a tack driver. I will say that an Accustock is not as good as an HS Precision stock, but it is still probably very accurate.
The reason I got rid of the PST was because I wanted better glass. The PST is good, especially the 6-24. But since I don't hunt or shoot things up close I was able to get a fixed scope with better glass. I got an IOR Valdada 16x42 fixed for $800 from Liberty Optics. It's about the same price as the PST but better glass. The PST has matching turrets and illumination so it's a trade off. If you are going to get the PST remember that FFP will make your reticle very large on 24x and might cover your target at long range. The MOA reticle is larger than the MIL for some reason. Still, if your going to do long range SFP has a much finer crosshair and is better for this. The PST reticle is very well designed.
I have a Harris bipod, but stopped using it in favor of a rest. Their is something fun about using a bipod though. You will have to decide what you like better after using one. Even if you stop using it it's still good to have in case you bring your rifle somewhere were a rest is just not practical.
These are just my opinions. I hope you find them helpful. If you get everything just as you described you will still have a very good setup.

Re: Rifle plans

I plan on using it for target shooting mostly but it will be used for hunting also. I do plan on shooting long range but as I am learning it I don't plan on being able to shoot 1000 yards overnight. That just gives me more of a reason to get out shoot more.