Rifle Quality Vs. Price (Answers Welcome)

FourFreedoms

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2012
Recently bought an Ar 15 to get used to using a rifle slightly larger than the 1911 Winchester .22 my Grandfather gave me. Looking at a Savage Palma 12 308. Gun Shop says its accurate to 1200+ yards. A little costly. Can anyone recommend whether this is a good choice or is something better out there. Like I said I am new to rifles.

Re: Rifle Quality Vs. Price (Answers Welcome)

I think the gun shop is stretching the 308 catridge a tad. The 308 is very effective at 800 and to a 1000 depending on bullet used- 1200 is possible and doable with the 308 but it needs a very skilled shooter to be consistent at that range.

Yep. What JSTARZ said. Shooting a 308 beyond 1000 yards is going to be like shooting an AR15 at 800 to 1000. Some guys can do it, but they're really few and far between.

Just as a suggestion, it appears you're just breaking into distance shooting. Use your AR to work your way out to six or eight hundred yards. By the time you're hitting out there you'll have a much greater data base concerning your own personal shooting characteristics which should be a huge aid in picking a larger caliber. Shoot small targets at 100, 200, 300. Invest in the best scope you can swing - at long range that's going to matter more than your stick.

There is always something better out there : ). But Savage rifles have run very well for me and for a lot of other people. I always liked how easy it was to get prefit barrels and swap them.

As far as accuracy, I have shot a model 10 and a model 12 that did all I ever needed them to do. I still shoot the 12 (260 rem).

What kind of deal were they offering on that Palma?

I like the 308 since there are so many components, data, factory loads etc. There are better cartridges of course, but the 308 is a good middle ground I think, especially if you are not going to be reloading.

It is going to come down to exactly what you want to do and how much you can spend really.