Rifle Scopes Rifle Scope Selection and Advice

abn_surfer

Vaya con Dios
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Apr 1, 2009
    Coastal South-East
    I am seeking some advice in selecting my next optic for my bolt gun. I currently own 1 Accuracy International AT where I interchange 6.5CM and 308 barrels, the system works for me by having essentially two rifles one platform. So, the optic is the going to be the marriage that keeps this system operating between the two cartridges.

About me, I am a 51-year-old retired disabled combat veteran that balances my weeks between Hospice work, surfing and shooting long range. By no means am I looking to make a shooting team going to matches, nor am I going back to parachute assaults, shooting and blowing stuff up anymore. Shooting for me keeps the link between the past and present in a healthy balance.

The last scope I ran was a Nightforce ATACR 7-35, in which I told myself, “This was my forever scope” until unforeseen circumstances came about, and I sold it. Since I have sold everything that is not bolted down and now have about 3K’ish (preferably less) as my budget.

Given my circumstances I am considering doing the Arken 7-35 or Bushnell Match Pro ED for under $1k route, However, since this scope is going on my one rifle that is going to age with me, do I stay with the budget scopes, or swinging for the fences and try and find a ZCO and hold on to it until it becomes a relic?

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks y’all

Reactions: Kran09
    I wouldn't go the budget route personally. But as a guy that mainly shoots ZCO & Tangent now, I'd say there's a good middle ground. I'd start shopping the PX here. I've recently seen a Minox ZP5 for $1800 and another for about $2k. Used 4-16x42 ATACRs are regularly found for $1800 - $1900. Gen 3 razors are regularly in the +/-$2k range. Once you get into the low/mid $2k's you can look for used Kahles or 7-35 ATACR, respectively. If you want to swing for the fences, a used TT525P with a tool-less zero would pair up well with that AI AT.

No affiliation, so do your due diligence, etc, but below is just an example

Minox ZP5 (ad here) $2k
    Badger CO MAX (ad here) $235 (ring dia doesn't match above scope)
    Blem Atlas CAL Tall (sold here) $250
    Rear/front bag(s) $200
    Extra Mags (wait for MDT black friday sale)
    Depending on the kind of shooting you do, you can grab a cheapish pocket laser rangefinder or save up for better LRF binos with ballistic solver, or go without a rangefinder if you stick to truly known distance ranges.

Then save up for tripod, kestrel, and chrono.

Last edited:
    I wouldn't go the budget route personally. But as a guy that mainly shoots ZCO & Tangent now, I'd say there's a good middle ground. I'd start shopping the PX here. I've recently seen a Minox ZP5 for $1800 and another for about $2k. Used 4-16x42 ATACRs are regularly found for $1800 - $1900. Gen 3 razors are regularly in the +/-$2k range. Once you get into the low/mid $2k's you can look for used Kahles or 7-35 ATACR, respectively. If you want to swing for the fences, a used TT525P with a tool-less zero would pair up well with that AI AT.

No affiliation, so do your due diligence, etc, but below is just an example

Minox ZP5 (ad here) $2k
    Badger CO MAX (ad here) $235
    Blem Atlas CAL Tall (sold here) $250
    Rear/front bag(s) $200
    Extra Mags (wait for MDT black friday sale)
    Depending on the kind of shooting you do, you can grab a cheapish pocket laser rangefinder or save up for better LRF binos with ballistic solver, or go without a rangefinder if you stick to truly known distance ranges.

Then save up for tripod, kestrel, and chrono.

There's a lot of value in the used market for optics.

Minox, Khales, Steiner (M series), are some really good quality scopes that typically don't hold value well. It should be relatively easy to find something high quality and suitable for around $2k or less.

The Minox quoted here is a great option.

There's a lot of value in the used market for optics.

Minox, Khales, Steiner (M series), are some really good quality scopes that typically don't hold value well. It should be relatively easy to find something high quality and suitable for around $2k or less.

The Minox quoted here is a great option.

Agreed, I have picked up a couple of Khales from the classifieds, amazing glass at the discounted price. There are a couple sitting in the classifieds now, tempting me to get another rifle just to put them on lol

Reactions: kthomas
    Too bad there isn't a reticle Tinder site where you can swipe left or right on the reticles that you like.
    What style of reticle has been your favorite in the past? That might narrow it down some. I’ve shot and own all types, duplex, mil-dot, H59, MPCT3, and the list goes on. They all have some likes and dislikes to me, probably easier to figure out what your pros and cons are for a reticle.

I am seeking some advice in selecting my next optic for my bolt gun. I currently own 1 Accuracy International AT where I interchange 6.5CM and 308 barrels, the system works for me by having essentially two rifles one platform. So, the optic is the going to be the marriage that keeps this system operating between the two cartridges.

About me, I am a 51-year-old retired disabled combat veteran that balances my weeks between Hospice work, surfing and shooting long range. By no means am I looking to make a shooting team going to matches, nor am I going back to parachute assaults, shooting and blowing stuff up anymore. Shooting for me keeps the link between the past and present in a healthy balance.

The last scope I ran was a Nightforce ATACR 7-35, in which I told myself, “This was my forever scope” until unforeseen circumstances came about, and I sold it. Since I have sold everything that is not bolted down and now have about 3K’ish (preferably less) as my budget.

Given my circumstances I am considering doing the Arken 7-35 or Bushnell Match Pro ED for under $1k route, However, since this scope is going on my one rifle that is going to age with me, do I stay with the budget scopes, or swinging for the fences and try and find a ZCO and hold on to it until it becomes a relic?

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks y’all

Feel free to reach out to us at 916-670-1103 and we can discuss all the options from top to bottom :) - Richard

What style of reticle has been your favorite in the past? That might narrow it down some. I’ve shot and own all types, duplex, mil-dot, H59, MPCT3, and the list goes on. They all have some likes and dislikes to me, probably easier to figure out what your pros and cons are for a reticle.
    My 1st "Real" optic was the Mark 5 w/ the TMR MOA reticle, from there I went to the VuDu MD3 and finally Mil C. So, the classic hunter style reticle. I dont mind dialing and I like the single point of aim with floating center dot. I dont mind the tree style retilce, just prefer the aiming "T"

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    How much zero shift do you get swapping barrels?
    Maybe tooless turrets would be appealing, Tangent and Leica PRS are excellent options.
    I'm using Vortex Gen 3 these days and swapping ammo and rezeroing is super easy and quick.
    I have become less happy with NF, ZCO, and Khales style turrets with the multi-allen screws.
    1st world problems, SO many good optic choices these days.
    Agreed that you should start with the choice of Reticle First!

The Bushnell Match Pro ED is a solid optic in the under $1000 area. You can get them for less than listed with LE/Mil pricing. Going up from there the Tract Toric 4-25 is a solid choice a bit over the $1000 mark with that pricing. Then it's all up from there.

Reactions: abn_surfer
    How much zero shift do you get swapping barrels?
    Maybe tooless turrets would be appealing, Tangent and Leica PRS are excellent options.
    I'm using Vortex Gen 3 these days and swapping ammo and rezeroing is super easy and quick.
    I have become less happy with NF, ZCO, and Khales style turrets with the multi-allen screws.
    1st world problems, SO many good optic choices these days.
    Agreed that you should start with the choice of Reticle First!
    If you know anything about AI barrels, they cost more than most new rifles, for that reason I mainly shoot the 308 barrel for barrel life, and shoot the 6.5 for club matches or for when my wife does her twice a year range visit. The POI shift between barrels is around .5-.8 mils. If I can keep the velocity's within the in the same ball park (2700ish +/- FPS) I set the zero stop accordingly, or not set a zero stop and mark the turret, More times than not it works-out like a symphony.

Reactions: StrayDog
    If you know anything about AI barrels, they cost more than most new rifles, for that reason I mainly shoot the 308 barrel for barrel life, and shoot the 6.5 for club matches or for when my wife does her twice a year range visit. The POI shift between barrels is around .5-.8 mils. If I can keep the velocity's within the in the same ball park (2700ish +/- FPS) I set the zero stop accordingly, or not set a zero stop and mark the turret, More times than not it works-out like a symphony.
    Watch the px here for barrels. You can typically find some decent prices then set aside for when you burn a current one up

6.5 barrels are very common

Reactions: abn_surfer