• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Rifle Suggestions

TLaude

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
North Dakota
Good evening Hide! I'm currently shooting a 6.5CM for a hunting rifle. It's a heavier rifle and as I get older, the less I want to lug the bastard around. Now I'm searching for a much lighter AR base rifle. Should I be looking at the route of acquiring individual parts and doing an assembly or just buy something off the shelf? Looking for recommendations on either route.

Reactions: Ronws
Good evening Hide! I'm currently shooting a 6.5CM for a hunting rifle. It's a heavier rifle and as I get older, the less I want to lug the bastard around. Now I'm searching for a much lighter AR base rifle. Should I be looking at the route of acquiring individual parts and doing an assembly or just buy something off the shelf? Looking for recommendations on either route.
S&W and CMMG make a factory 6 mm ARC that is suitable for hunting. Even as a truck gun. Kyle at the Social Regressive did a series on his 6 ARC.

Here is the start of the playlist.

However, he has not posted anything in the last 9 months to a year. I don't know why.

If you want to stick with 6.5 Creedmoor, I recommend buying a complete rifle. This forum is littered with threads where people’s various large frame parts aren’t playing together nicely. It’s not impossible to build a large frame, but choosing to build is often choosing to tinker and troubleshoot.

Having said that, most large frame ARs are probably going to weigh more than your bolt action rifle unless the bolt gun’s bare weight is 11 lbs., or more.

If you go the small frame route, you should be able to build or buy according to your preference, and depending on attachments and the parts you choose, you could beat your bolt gun’s weight.

Reactions: JS8588
S&W and CMMG make a factory 6 mm ARC that is suitable for hunting. Even as a truck gun. Kyle at the Social Regressive did a series on his 6 ARC.

Here is the start of the playlist.

However, he has not posted anything in the last 9 months to a year. I don't know why.

I'll give it a watch!
Are you hunting things around the size of deer and hogs? Or anything in particular.
This gun will be deer. If I ever get around to hunting bigger stuff like Elk or Moose, I'll just bring the 6.5CM
If you want to stick with 6.5 Creedmoor, I recommend buying a complete rifle. This forum is littered with threads where people’s various large frame parts aren’t playing together nicely. It’s not impossible to build a large frame, but choosing to build is often choosing to tinker and troubleshoot.

Having said that, most large frame ARs are probably going to weigh more than your bolt action rifle unless the bolt gun’s bare weight is 11 lbs., or more.

If you go the small frame route, you should be able to build or buy according to your preference, and depending on attachments and the parts you choose, you could beat your bolt gun’s weight.
Not partial to sticking with the 6.5CM. Actually thinking more of like a .223 type round.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
6920SOCOM IS UNDER 7 lbs and is known to be as accurate as available for an off the rack rifle. Add something like a 75 grain match hollow point and you’ll be good to go out to 300 yards.
UPC 098289019462
Tombstone has them for $1,300

Grendel or 6Arc would be perfectly serviceable, but if you already have an ammo stock, and are not recoil shy, you could look into getting a lighter chassis system / rifle that still shoots 6.5CM

plenty of nice lightweight options out there now for chassis and carbon wrapped barrels, or even just moving to featherweight barrel profile and accepting the trade-off of potential shift if you need to take repeated shots

If weight was the focus, you could easily get a grendel SBR down to 5lbs or so using a KP15 monolithic poly lower, carbon wrapped barrel and a CF handguard, but some 6.5CM bolt actions can be in the 6lb range if you drop enough coin. (Proof does an off the shelf all carbon fiber job in the MTR: https://proofresearch.com/rifles/elevation-mtr/ )