Rifle to Learn with at 200yds (.223)?

JPT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
I am a newbie to rifle with a competition pistol background. I have this vision of shooting F-T/R at a range near me (up to 1,000yds). Taking the advice of some on this forum, I am putting that vision on hold while I learn the fundamentals of rifle shooting. I have a semi-auto .22 that will suit me for that. But, I am thinking that I would like a .223 bolt-action to work with as well. This would be used at my club's 200 yard range - again, for the purposes of learning fundamentals. I would like .223 because of the economics of shooting enough to make it matter. As I learn more, I would use this rifle to go out further - maybe to 600yds occasionally.

Question? Does it make much difference what rifle I get for this purpose? On the one hand I am thinking about the tupperware Savage 10 or 12, or the tupperware 700 SPS. Or, does it make sense to learn with a better gun like the 700P or the 12BVSS where you get the nicer bedding and floated barrel and nicer stock. Will any of that really matter for my purposes? Or, does it make sense to go in the other direction and just get a Stevens 200 and spend what I save on ammo and a scope.

I DO NOT plan on ever using this rifle for F-T/R. I intend to pick up a Savage F-T/R for that purpose when the time comes.

By the way, I am not a guy who tends to buy used, unless it is a smokin' deal.

Re: Rifle to Learn with at 200yds (.223)?

I got the tupperware Savage 16 from Walmart as my first bolt action to learn with. Just "upgrade" by getting it bedded properly and it can shoot 0.6MOA with the right loads. I didn't have a pricey fancy scope on it either. Just a $200 Mueller Tactical and I was able to print 0.6MOA groups all day long (after reloading).

You can then upgrade it later on by changing out the barrel and stock.

I think a 223 as a training rifle would be great. The bullet will get blown around some in the wind, which will help you figure that out. A 22 LR could also still be used for this, even at 200. It will get blown around more at 200, but still a great training aid.

you mentioned the savage 10. i waited 4 months this summer for my savage 10pc. can't say enough about it. its everything i thought it would be and more. a better performer than i am an operator for now. put a millet trs1 on it. love it! got mine in 308. was a little heavy for carrying around deer hunting but i just can't put it down.
now i'm getting a kel tec su 22. should be in next friday. looking for a nice scope for it now. any suggestions?
have fun searching for your new stick!

I know a little about shooting a .223 at long range.

Savage makes a number of very interesting model 12s in .223. Whatever you do, pick one with a fast barrel twist, they offer some in 1:9 and 1:7. Go for the 1:7, even if you do not handload now, you will be able to shoot anything you want in that rifle and when you do handload, you can shoot the long 80gr bullets. You can be very competitive in F-T/R with one of those especially a up to 600 yards. I've shot thousands of .223 rounds in competition at 1000 yards; it's very doable, but get a long barrel and a fast twist and some goo 80gr bullets.