• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Right Optic for a LMT 308 MWS

rivemor

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2011
I need help I just got a LMT 308 16” SS and have been going back and forth trying to pick the right optic. At first I was looking at a Mark 4 3.5-10x40 but then started looking at NF 2.5-10x32 but thought the NF 3.5-15x50 might be a better choice for punching paper at 600yards. Any suggestions would be a very big help.

Re: Right Optic for a LMT 308 MWS

I'm gonna pick up a MWS w. a Rock SS barrel(16" SST or the 18" SS) here pretty shortly, and I'm almost positive that I'm just gonna roll with another NF, specifically the nxs3.5-15x50 with the newer 1000yd velocity reticle. I been dying to get the new 1000 yd Velocity ret. ever since I bought my nxs compact 2.5-10x32 with the LV or Low Velocity reticle(only has hashes out to 600yds). I intend to shoot this rifle/glass as far as I can since my LR locale has 1500-2000yds available. I had planned on a March 1-10x or the new leupy 1-8x about a yr. ago, however since all the ones avail. are either disappointments thus far, or all together vaporware, I'm going to forgo this first round of 1-8x types unless one all but falls into my lap. I know NF has some nasty stuff brewing in the T&E dept., and ultimately I just cannot stray from NF at this point given how much I love the nxs compacts, and then the people and service behind them. That said, we're living in a great time for optic's and there certainly is other fantastic options like USO's lower power offerings, SB's soon to be released 1-8x, March's 1-10x, or the new premier 1-8x.

Make sure you look into the Velocity reticles if you decide to roll w. a NF...my LV reticle has totally spoiled me and hopefully NF will soon start to perform the reticle Swap service again so that I can swap my NXS compact 2.5-10x24's compact mil dot for another LV reticle. They are perhaps not for everyone, but nonetheless, one would be doing themselves a disservice if they overlooked these Velocity reticles when buying any NF optic that has them as an available option.

I use my nxs compacts on my MRP Recce and MRP SPR builds which are completely setup for light precision and I frequently shoot out to distances of up to 900yds. So obviously if your not looking to go much past 1000yds(in your case 600yds) they make for a great piece of glass in that role. Past 1000yds and my personal tastes requires more magnification...hints why I'm looking at the nxs 3.5 vs. another nxs compact or 1-8x type.

Take a look at the 3-15 f-1 with the MLR-2 reticle, it is a very nice optic that would compliment your MWS very well. The velocity reticles are sweet, but you are kind of tied to a certain balistic profile. The MLR 2 will work on all calibers. I like your choice of 3-15 over 2.5-10, you get so much more scope with the 3-15.

Both choices are great, I just would lean to the the F1 MLR-2.

Ditto on 997, the USO is great....mine below:

August20th007-1.jpg

The MLR2 is a MIL reticle and FFP. As long as you know the drop of your load out of your rifle (x MILs at y distance) you can use the MILs as your hold over marks, like on a velocity reticle. Knowing your zero distance and trajectory, you can take aim on a target at 345 yards. If your bullet drops 1.7 MILs at that distance, just hold right below the 1.5 MIL mark and you will be good.

The difference is that a velocity reticle is designed to work with a specific load at a specific velocity to correspond with the marks. It will not have a standardized space between lines. You can use it with various loads but things will not always line up right. Your load, if different from the recommended load, may impact the target at your aiming point at 219 yards when the reticle shows 200.

The reticle types are similar but work a little differently. Hope this helps.

I will echo the US Optics SN3 in 1.8-10... for that is (IMHO) a perfect optic for a precision AR.

I am running the US Optics SN3 TPAL 3.2-17 now on mine, and I love the glass. The scope is very large though, and is a bit much on the rifle I have it mounted on now. As soon as the turrets are finished, I will have the SN3 TPAL in 1.8-10

It gives a very usable field of view for close in work, and the glass clarity at 10x is enough to engage with ease, anything that the AR can engage.

They are a GREAT company to deal with, and the optic will last you a lifetime.

I have the NF 5-22 on my POF and the S&B 5-25 on my LaRue OBR. Love the LaRue set up. It never hurts to have more magnification in case you want to push it beyond 600 yards. IMHO.

I am waiting on a the GAP HDMR from the group buy its 3.5-21 FFP and it has a 13" OAL its just about perfect for a gas gun. The reticle is a streamlined Hornus type in a 34mm tube.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an IOR 3-18 FFP on my 16" 308 AR. I like the reticule, magnification range and glass quality but the weight is a killer if you want to "take it hunting".

If you can live with 10X max magnification then something 2.5-10 would be a better option. </div></div>

Agreed. I have a 3-15 Premier on mine and it is a lot of rifle. I have run(jogged) and gunned with it in a rifles only competition, but it is a heavy total package. It would allow you to get the most from the rifle, but I think a 2.5-10 with a T1 is a better all around option- perhaps one of the many 1-8s that are coming out. I;ve used my 1-8 on the MWS out to 400 yards and it worked well.

I went thru the exact same thing as you are going through. And basically you have to choose one extreme. You can go with a 2.5-10x or similar with 10x as max magnification to save weight. By the time you step up to something like a 3-15x, you are at 31oz already. You might as well just get the 5-22x which has same dimensions and is only 1oz heavier. Your low end doesnt matter whether it is 3 or 5x. Neither one will work for up close and personal anyways. Not that i always need 22x, but for identification, etc i rather have it and not use it than need it. Usually i am in the 12-16x range.

that what I decided ,just waiting for it to come in .<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am waiting on a the GAP HDMR from the group buy its 3.5-21 FFP and it has a 13" OAL its just about perfect for a gas gun. The reticle is a streamlined Hornus type in a 34mm tube.

Dustin </div></div>

I have the 2.5-10 NF on mine, and I am not happy with it. the cross hairs are too fine at 2.5

i want the low end to keep the quick handling of the rifle. trying to keep it light also.

wish i was rich enough to try the leupold 1.1-8,
i might try the IOR with the similar range

I went with a dual set up. An eotech for up close lightweight action. And a 3-15 for 100+ yard work........both with qd mounts that that hold zero perfectly and change out it 30 seconds or less.

I'm seeing a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I am planning on getting an optic for my MWS in the future.

However, how large of an optic can you place on a flat top AR without using a cheek riser? I was thinking of going all out on a scope with a large objective such as 56mm.

Ran a USO 3.2-17 for a few months on my POF 308. Ended up picking up a 1.8-10 USO on here and moved the 3.2-17 to a bolt gun. Either is a good choice from my experience but for me the variable 10 power fits the platform well. I shoot it to a max of 800 yds and the 1.8-10 handles that well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tsavo303</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have the 2.5-10 NF on mine, and I am not happy with it. the cross hairs are too fine at 2.5

i want the low end to keep the quick handling of the rifle. trying to keep it light also.

wish i was rich enough to try the leupold 1.1-8,
i might try the IOR with the similar range </div></div>

It's not as fancy as some of the top end stuff, but the Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 is really light & works pretty darn good at low power and while 5x is not very high its good enough for most practical shooting on hairy targets. You can always get leupolds illuminated reticle which is much brighter than NF's illumination. Their tactical one with the illuminated SPR reticle and M2 knobs may be just the ticket.

Others have suggested that FC2 reticle may be a better option on the NF 2.5-10.

I just picked up a LMT MWS with a 16" CL and I'm putting a IOR 2-12x32 35mm with the MP-8 Dot Reticle. This is a great powered optic for a combat rifle such as the MWS. You can get out to as far as you want with this power, it's a slim optic, and has good glass at a reasonable price on it.

Thats funny shooter I just got the IOR spartan (2-12) for mine.
Its thick and heavy. will see how it works
I got a larue mt also, in case I have to switch out
I am impressed with the usable range of power and clarity.
not so much with the adjustments and machining