• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rimfire scope

Sounds like a nice scope for short range shooting but I personally prefer something more like 6-24x for up to 300 yard shooting... if that's on your radar. If you're buying a scope like that, I assume it is.

Even at 100 yards the higher magnification lets you see the bullet in flight and spot impacts. To this point it can get interesting debating between first focal plane and second focal plane especially with Christmas tree style or hash mark reticles.

The busier the reticle the harder it is to spot the bullet flight or hits and misses, but if you go with FFP and have more zoom than you shoot at, then when you dial down, you can thin out the reticle so it's fine enough not to distract from watching for the bullet.

Nice thing about good old MIL dots is they are discrete enough not to distract regardless of zoom level or FFP or SFP.

To this point, I wish someone offered a MIL dot style reticle calibrated for MOA... I've been shooting MOA for so long that it slows down my processing too much changing to MIL clicks at this point in life.

If you have concerns about finding the target quickly in a high magnification scope, I have a suggestion... Mount a red dot sight on a ring mount pic rail on the scope at 9:00-9:30... This way you can see the red dot with your left eye while looking through the scope with your right. Find the target with your left eye when you mount the rifle but focus on the scope when you break the shot. That's how I run PRS but I've never seen anyone else do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrVincent
OP, what kind of shooting do you intend to do - squirrel hunting, silhouette, punching paper, trainer for larger rifle, etc.? For hunting, the Nightforce you're asking about would be great. If you're punching paper, shooting silhouette, etc., more magnification you'll probably find more useful. I have a 6-18 Leupold on my Anschutz and occasionally wish for more mag. A 6-24 that PracticalTactical suggested would be a good option for just about everything except for hunting. Lot's of options for 6-24 magnification scopes. If you wanted to stick with Nightforce (and except for cost, why wouldn't you), their 5.5-22 second focal plane would be a great optic. Let us know what you decide!

Reactions: Bwana John
The 2.5-20 will be out soon(ish). Well, its at least been announced........

That would a darn good scope, if the parallax goes low enough. Could do everything.

I have a 3-15 Weaver on mine and never have wanted more, but Im not shooting MOA size targets at 300 yds either......

I like the FFP as the wind shifts so much in direction and speed where I routinely shoot my 22 that holds at 150 yds change a lot.

OP, what kind of shooting do you intend to do - squirrel hunting, silhouette, punching paper, trainer for larger rifle, etc.? For hunting, the Nightforce you're asking about would be great. If you're punching paper, shooting silhouette, etc., more magnification you'll probably find more useful. I have a 6-18 Leupold on my Anschutz and occasionally wish for more mag. A 6-24 that PracticalTactical suggested would be a good option for just about everything except for hunting. Lot's of options for 6-24 magnification scopes. If you wanted to stick with Nightforce (and except for cost, why wouldn't you), their 5.5-22 second focal plane would be a great optic. Let us know what you decide!

The problem I've found with the Diamondback Tactical is poor resolution but it wouldn't be fair to expect more at that price point.

I have a couple Burris XTRii's but I don't want to take them off the other rifles, so I putz along with the DT.

I shot video while I was out shooting yesterday and found it interesting how the video shows the impacts better than I could see through the Diamondback Tactical scope.

I still think its a good value though.

Here's a link to the video if you'd like to check it out.

Last edited:
I plan on doing more target / silhouette shooting and have noticed the new higher power offerings in the nx8, I think this might suit me better. I have 4-16x42 atacr which I like, just don’t want to take it off its current setup. So I believe I will research the higher power optics and save some more cash.

I plan on doing more target / silhouette shooting and have noticed the new higher power offerings in the nx8, I think this might suit me better. I have 4-16x42 atacr which I like, just don’t want to take it off its current setup. So I believe I will research the higher power optics and save some more cash.

The 4-16 ATACR doesn't adjust parallax below 40yards, which may or may not be an issue for you.

The new NX8s may well be what you are looking for, reviews should start coming out in the next few weeks.

A good cheaper option is the Vortex Viper Gen2.

Reactions: BrVincent

I shoot ARA 50 yard matches. My Leup 45x fixed power is about right.

But if you want to be loved and adored around here, definitely overpay for a night force.

Reactions: PracticalTactical