Rifle Scopes Ring height and weaver or warne?

r33prman

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Hey all I've got a howa 1500 .308 varmint action which I'm building up currently. I've got a Egw 20 moa base on its way as well as a bushnell 10x. My question is what height rings do I need? Was thinking low but not sure. I tried going into the local gun stores but no one has anything I can mock up to see what I need. Also, what's your thoughts on warne rings vs weaver rings? The ones I'm looking at from weaver are the 6 hole 1" and the ones I'm looking at from warne are the 1" maxima rings.

Cheers in advance for any advice or recommendations.

Re: Ring height and weaver or warne?

I can't help you out with your ring height.

I will, however, speak for the Warne Maxima rings. I first purchased a set for a T/C Encore 209X50 muzzleloader. I got the QD style so that I could remove the scope and resort to the open sights if needed. I also put the rings on my two other Encore barrels (23" .308 & 26" .223) as well as a Savage rifle I re-barreled to 338-06. My son's 6.8 SPC T/C Contender also wears Warne Maxima rings.

Not sure if you can tell, but I'm completely sold on their rings. They're built like a tank. I found they can be a little fussy when mounting a scope but I only do that once so its not a huge issue for me. They're heavy so don't plan on including them for a lightweight rifle build. I've shot with a guy that uses the QD style to mount a Leupold on a Armalite 50 BMG. I'd trust 'em with my life.

Also, if you're buying soon you should check MidwayUSA as they have a sale going on the non-QD style - both 1" and 30mm.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know people trust them so much. I think ill be getting whichever I chose from a distributor down here in oz. much faster that way and I'm sure you all understand impatients nearing the end of a build!

I am not sure what your objective bell size is, but on all my rifles with canted bases, I went low Maxima rings. Both 1" and 30mm.

I agree with Ranger in that the Warne rings are solid, I also like that they are not bulky and over 'Tactic-cool'.

Above all my fav feature is the split ring, makes leveling the scope very easy.

dsc04746800x431.jpg

By roggom at 2012-03-12

I guess I wasn't done . . .

I have a Barrett M99 50 BMG and recently put a new scope on it. I kept the old Barrett rings on the old scope and bought another set for the new scope - the whole idea being I could swap scopes if need be.

I'm thinking that I would have been better off getting two sets of Warne QD rings. I paid over $200 for the Barrett rings and could have easily picked up two sets of Warne rings for that price plus had the QD feature.

I recently got in on the SWFA two-for-one deal and I think I want to put the 1-6X on both my T/C Encore muzzleloader barrel and the Encore .308 barrel. I believe that I can zero the scope for one barrel and mount it on another, keeping track of the difference in zeros. I think the Warne rings would work well for that. Just might have to give it a try.

I didn't know this until today, but they do make aluminum rings if you're needing a lighter-weight set-up.