• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Rings and mounts

entreus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2009
Washington, United States
I have a Model 700™ XCR™ Tactical Long Range, that I just purchased. I got a Kahles 3.5X10X50 scope for it. I looked at other scopes but the clarity sold me.

Now I'm left to getting mounts, I've looked around and noticed that there seems to be a huge disparity in the cost of different mounts. Leupold mounts will run about $100 and if you go into Nightforce, Badger or U.S Optics mounts the price goes way up. So my question is, since I'm just starting out, probably just going to shoot from time to time at first. Might get a more appropriate setup if I get serious or....?

What the biggest concern when purchasing the mounts?

One piece or two piece mount base?

I've talked to a couple people and have heard varying views, was just hoping for some suggestions and things to think about.

Thanks.

Re: Rings and mounts

I would go with a one piece mount. You can't go wrong with a Badger mount. I would just spend the money on a good mount, that way you don't need to replace it in the future. Thats the way I setup my rifles, is to make them as best as I can afford right from the start. Then you don't need to do anything further to the rifle. But thats just my way of doing things. Get a good one and its the only one you will ever need. It will save you money in the long run.

I am sure you will get more advice from many people here, there is a lot of knowledge here when you need it!!
Good Luck

For what its worth, im in this boat at the moment. I got Burris XTR ring which im going to keep but I skimped and bought an EGW aluminum base, im sure 90% of the time its just fine. I've only had it on for a couple months but its all jacked up now (probably from overtightening)and if i had just bought a high end one in the first place I would be fine... so i guess ill just put it on an old hunting rifle now and go for the badger this time around.

With whatever base and rings you decide on always torque the screws & nuts to specs. This will prevent damage to your equipment. EGW 20 moa base & Burris XTR rings are a very good setup for the money. I use them on all of my rifles and never had a problem with them. Some of the XTR rings may need to be lapped. The wider XTR rings have more clamping surface area and put less stress on the scope tube.

You can use XTR low rings & EGW 20 moa base with scopes up to 50mm without adjustable objectives.

GC

I think I'll go with the badger base, I found a good deal on one. As for the scope rings, I'm still haven't made a decision.

Is there a standard way to figure out the clearance for a 50mm scope? If you by a 20 MOA base, is there a chart somewhere or....