• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

RL 17 with 185 Berger VLDs

fastgixxerlv

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Las vegas NV
Hi. New here... Anyone out there using this combo? I'm looking for more load info to compare to than the Alliant site. I got up to 46.5gr. moving at av. 2650 not signs of pressure, but I was seeing too much heat on my barrel after 4-5 shots(24" fluted). I'm kinda new to handloading too. Does this powder usually run hot? Is my velocity to fast for this weight in .308 cartridge? Can I shoot this bullet faster and not wear out my barrel sooner? Thanks!

Re: RL 17 with 185 Berger VLDs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastgixxerlv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi. New here... Anyone out there using this combo? I'm looking for more load info to compare to than the Alliant site. I got up to 46.5gr. moving at av. 2650 not signs of pressure, but I was seeing too much heat on my barrel after 4-5 shots(24" fluted). I'm kinda new to handloading too. Does this powder usually run hot? Is my velocity to fast for this weight in .308 cartridge? Can I shoot this bullet faster and not wear out my barrel sooner? Thanks! </div></div>

Hi, New Here,

You don't say what caliber, but I presume 308 Winchester. If so 2650 with a 185 Berger is a fast load. If you seeing too much heat, that's because you live in Vegas, and it is a tad warm there in June. Is your velocity too fast, don't know, but it is a good fast speed for a 185 grain bullet.

Can you shoot it faster, sure you can, maybe, maybe not, but more powder, equals more pressure, which equals more barrel wear. No free lunches for you........

Bob

Hahaha! I figured as much... Ya it's a .308. I've been shooting a butt load so I better order a new barrel now. I hear some really nice barrels can take a long time. I've been into ARs and this is my first shooting past 500 yards, so don't beat me up too bad. I got hooked when I loaded my own ammo and realized how accurate my gun was. Thanks

http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html

For the Berger 185 long range BT, I was not able to get the 2700fps in my 24" 1-12" twist barrel even with 48gr of RL 17 with Lapua brass. My average on that test load was 2650fps, seating long at 2.855" coal, so you are doing great to get 2650 with only 46.5 gr of RL 17.

The 185s don't like to go real fast, but they do like to be .003 into the lands. They are all I shot in a 300wsm, try viht n560, if it will work in a 308, they love that powder with br2 primers. If the 560 won't work, try another viht powder, you are buying premium bullets, might as well shoot premium powder. Somewhere I have a 3 shot group covered with a dime at 300 yds from the mentioned load, pure luck, couldn't do it again, did it once though. Any questions on the 185s feel free to pm me I have shot a lot if them.

I'm shooting 185 Berger HPBT LR with 42.2gr Varget, Lapua brass, 210m primers, COAL is 2.930" and getting 2600-2650 fps according to JBM ballistics and my elevation required for a 550y shot being 13" high at 100y.

.308 24" 1:10"

I'm still new to reloading and have not tried many powders. They are shooting real good for me in the 2650fps range. Is the VH560 the same burn rate as the RL17 or close? If I order the VH it will be the same price I pay for RL17 at Bass Pro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastgixxerlv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still new to reloading and have not tried many powders. They are shooting real good for me in the 2650fps range. Is the VH560 the same burn rate as the RL17 or close? If I order the VH it will be the same price I pay for RL17 at Bass Pro. </div></div>

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html I didn't see r17 but n560 is slower than r19 on that chart. Yeah its gonna be more pricey viht is good powder, the 185vlds are about $40 a box around here, if your gonna buy Porsches might as well fill them up with premium, samething here. Or just shoot 175smk with varget.