• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Roadblocks to reloading

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I got home from deployment last week to find that ammo prices are absolutely absurd. I couldn't believe it. One range wanted 30 bucks for 50 rounds of 40S&W plinking ammo. I have been considering reloading for a while now, but I realize that I've pretty much got to start immediately. I'm going from digging into my ammo crate and burning 500 rounds of 9mm a week downrange to this amazing famine of ammo back home.

I called up Forster today and found out that their co-ax press is back ordered for at least 2 months. I then went to Midsouth supply and found I could get the rockchucker press. But when I went to see if I could get some primers, there were virtually none to be found. Am I not looking in the right place for these materials? How long is the wait for reloading supplies? Should I just buy standard dies for the rockchucker, or custom dies for my 308 and 7mm RM? Thanks for the help.

Re: Roadblocks to reloading

If you find primers, buy all you can because I've been looking for several months and everyone who has gotten them in tells me "you shoulda been here yesterday...."! I called Natchez a few weeks ago and they had a small amount of what I wanted, I tried to place the order and was told they can't sell to anyone in the state of Tennessee, WTF? They're in Chattanooga, which last I checked was in TN!

I second the use of Redding dies for rifle calibers. I think they're a little over priced, but they are much nicer than any other dies I've used. If price is of concern, I've also made quality ammunition with Hornady dies (which were high quality also...just not all the features of the Redding dies).

For handgun calibers I've been using el-cheapo Lee dies with good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called Natchez a few weeks ago and they had a small amount of what I wanted, I tried to place the order and was told they can't sell to anyone in the state of Tennessee, WTF? They're in Chattanooga, which last I checked was in TN! </div></div>

Sorry to go off topic, but they don't sell to Georgia either.

The Russians are making some pretty good primers. I buy into a local group here that are subgunners and when they buy a couple million of them I buy 10-20,000. I can usually only get magnum pistol and rifle but they seem to hold the same chrono'd speeds as my old primers did and I have seen no difference in the brass and primers after firing. Last batch I bought I paid $25 a 1000 for them. Check around your area for the automatic shooters and get in on one of their buys.

The Forster Benchrest die sets have a superior-design seating die without a micrometer. Their sizing die has a design advantage with the location of the sizing button. You have to be sure that the stem is straight and the button isn't causing run-out. A Redding Type-S FL, bushing sizing die eliminates the expander button and gives improved brass life. It and the Forster seater make a combo for producing excellent brass.

Forster's lock ring is a better design that Redding's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you find primers, buy all you can because I've been looking for several months and everyone who has gotten them in tells me "you shoulda been here yesterday...."! I called Natchez a few weeks ago and they had a small amount of what I wanted, I tried to place the order and was told they can't sell to anyone in the state of Tennessee, WTF? They're in Chattanooga, which last I checked was in TN! </div></div>

Dont worry they wont sell to me in AL either. They couldnt quite explain why, just they couldnt ship to me.

Mike

There are several states that Natchez won't sell in (AL, GA, TN). There may be dealers that they supply in those and are protecting their markets. Use a friend's address in a state that they do sell in, and then he can ship it to you. More trouble and expense, but it'll get your press to you. Do you have an address locally in MS or AR that you can use?

i bought 1000 winchester large rifle for $40, from a "friend" and was happy to pay that since mail ordering would come with a haz-mat fee. ideally i would have to order powder at the same time to offset the costs. and have to order a buttload of both to make it worthwhile

Reloading seems to be one of those skills where experience trumps all other factors in doing it well. From the above comments, you have to be as skilled in finding the reloading supplies as you are in actually reloading the cartridge.

So it seems like primers are really the big issue in terms of scarcity, right? No one is really talking about difficulty in getting bullets, powder, and brass. Are those supplies as difficult to get as well?

powder is here in town, $30 a pound, some they cant get, 4350 went fast, 4895 still plenty. brass doesnt seem hard to find. sierra bullets were out at midway so i got speer. the place where i get powder has only 1 choice in primers for large rifle. just for reference, i just started so i dont know how it was a year ago

ZL,
First: Thank You! for your service to Our Country!

A member of another Forum I frequent (wssmzone.com) says he was in Graf's & Sons's store in MO yesterday....and they had powder,bullets & <span style="font-style: italic">several primers. </span> http://www.grafs.com/page/contact or call then @ 800-531-2666- ask for Marj or Kim.

And Whitaker Guns here in KY has lotsa powder.Good selection; $19-$22/lb.They have a website,but I've never been on it.Will cost you a HazMat fee,but they'll ship it to you.Their # is 270-229-0140

Hope that helps.

----Gnarly

I haven't had a problem getting primers in my neck of the woods. Crossroads of the West is coming to town in two weeks or so and MiWall usually bring several hundred thousand primers each time including CCI35's. I would buy everyone primers but the hazmat would just ruin the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got home from deployment last week to find that ammo prices are absolutely absurd. I couldn't believe it. One range wanted 30 bucks for 50 rounds of 40S&W plinking ammo. I have been considering reloading for a while now, but I realize that I've pretty much got to start immediately. I'm going from digging into my ammo crate and burning 500 rounds of 9mm a week downrange to this amazing famine of ammo back home.

I called up Forster today and found out that their co-ax press is back ordered for at least 2 months. I then went to Midsouth supply and found I could get the rockchucker press. But when I went to see if I could get some primers, there were virtually none to be found. Am I not looking in the right place for these materials? How long is the wait for reloading supplies? Should I just buy standard dies for the rockchucker, or custom dies for my 308 and 7mm RM? Thanks for the help. </div></div>

You can get excellent dies for the 308 and probably the 7mmRM as well. But for about $10 plus the cost of the dies you can get custom dies for your rifles. It is so inexpensive I should have a set but I've already got my dies...

I know that Forster, Hornady and I think LEE will make a custom sizing die for you. All you have to do is send them some fired brass and they will hone a re-sizing die to optimum dimensions. Since you don't have your dies yet you can get a great start on your reloading career with dies you don't have to adjust or fiddle with. Beleive me, that can save a lot of time and components.

Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist too. Yesterday I was looking at the tools section of craigslist and ran across a guy selling some reloading stuff. I ended up getting a rockchucker press, uniflow powder thrower, 505 scale and several small various things for a hundred bucks. All of it was in pristine condition, said he used it one time and put them back in their boxes where they sat in his attic for the last 10 years. You can find deals out there if you keep an eye out for them.