• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Ruger 10/22 Stock and Bedding ?

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I have a Ruger 10/22 stainless rifle from about 2001 that has one the “Sporter” wood stock with checkering. It’s a decent looking rifle and a little classier looking than your run-of-the-mill blued carbine. I shot it yesterday and found that there were a several failure to extracts and light firing pin strikes. The action is getting torn down and cleaned / inspected and any deficiencies corrected.
    I noticed that the action is very loose in the stock inletting when the action screw is not tightened and I’d like to glass bed the action to the stock to see if there is an increase in accuracy to be found without going completely down the 10/22 “Rabbit Hole” of modifications.
    This is a plinker with a cheap scope to kill more time and aluminum cans than try to make tiny groups at a match.
    Is it worth the effort on the original stock to throw a bedding kit at it or just set it off to the side and get a laminated wood or even a Magpul Hunter Stock ?

What is the favorite bedding material for a wood stock these days ?

Make sure the chamber is clean. A 243 bore brush works. With the action screw barley snug will the barreled action rock up and down in the stock?? If so put a rubber pad (pressure point) near the end of the forend channel. Pieces of bike inner tube or rubber tape work well. use aluminum tape on the lower sides of the receiver to eliminate side to side play in the stock. Make sure the magazine is not binding in the well. After cleaning use a dry lube on everything. Hornady One Shot cleaner/lube is populer. I wouldn't bed it if it were mine but if I did I like grey Marine-Tex.

Go to rimfirecentral and have all of your bedding and misfire questions answered. I have had very good success bedding 10/22s using some of their methods. However I am mostly just having fun modifying the rifle.

I can recommendend Randy a Conneticut Precision Chambering. He's the best and very reasonable for a full tune up. Piller the take down bolt, glass bed the action to include about the first 2 inches of barrel, and float it the rest of the way out. You'll blow your friends away with what looks like a box stock 10/22-Norcal911