• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ruger 77/22 Magnum

CJS10mm

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
Mason County, WA
I just bought a Ruger M77/22 in 22 Mag. It is the Target Grey Stainless with the laminate stock. I really like this gun because my dad has one identical to it but now I am having buyers remorse, I really wanted a Savage 93 but couldn't find one. I paid a little over 500 for it which is well under MSRP and about 100 less than most places are selling it.

My question is this, since I do not really have an affinity for Ruger firearms (with the exception of the 10/22) Should I just sell it again to break even and find a 93 on GunBroker?

Re: Ruger 77/22 Magnum

I say shoot it first and see what happens. Try the Hornady 30gr VMAX load. Make sure the barrel is floated and the trigger can be tuned pretty easily, I am no gunsmith by any means and I figured out what needed to be polished on mine to make it better.

I have that exact rifle and love it. It is an exact match in length and weight to my .30-06 hunting rifle and has pretty much the same feel, cheek weld and all that.

To me the Rugers might cost more, but they feel more like a "real" rifle than the lower cost rimfires do.

ERuger77-22.jpg

I agree I would hang onto it for a while and have some fun with it, I have a standard weight 77/22 22WMR and like it alot(even though my CZ gets all the work lately) there is nothing that says you cant have both the Ruger and Savage.

I have one and it shoots quite well with the right ammo. I have had no luck with the winchester stuff but it likes cci. Just invest in good glass! I put a 3x9x40 leupy rifleman on mine and it sucks bad. It wants to fade after every shot. Needless to say too I am too lazy to take it off and send it back. Anyhow, I have never had any failures with it.

I had both but sold the 93. I did/had allot of custom stuff done to both. The Savage is nice, accurate but has a sloppy mag and is ugly.
The Ruger is twice the rifle and just as accurate and not hard to look at like the Savage.

What he said, I sold the Savage and now have two Rugers. One 77/22 and one 77/22 magnum rebarrelled to .17HMR. My main issue with the Savage was the stupid magazine consistently had to be wiggled a bit after about the third shot to get the last rounds to feed. Combined with a limited capacity, it is at a disadvantage compared to the 77/22 series.
Other than that, it was a good, accurate rifle- but I really like my Ruger rimfire.

1911fan

Keep it!

Both of my Ruger 77/22 are great 22lr & 22Mag - plus they can make a great suppressor host!

Ruger has plenty of after market goodnes as well, triggers, stocks, etc...