• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ruger American 300blkout in Magpul hunter stock issue

Perpetualseanx

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2013
So, as some of you may or may not be aware Ruger American’s in 5.56/300blkout currently do not have a reliable setup for mags using the Magpul hunter stock.
Magpul announced an AICS pattern mag in 5.56 at the beginning of this year, but it’s been mum on it since.

While I wait on that I’m hoping I can find a single shot sled to use in the meantime and was wondering if anyone has tried that with any luck. My particular model is the older rotary model.

If anyone can’t point me in the right direction that has actual experience, I’d be grateful.

Last edited:
So, as some of you may or may not be aware Ruger American’s in 5.56/300blkout currently do not have a reliable setup for mags using the Magpul hunter stock.
Magpul announced an AICS pattern mag in 5.56 at the beginning of this year, but it’s been mum on it since.

While I wait on that I’m hoping I can find a single shot sled to use in the meantime and was wondering if anyone has tried that with any luck. My particular model is the older rotary model.

If anyone can’t point me in the right direction that has actual experience, I’d be grateful.

It is a pain in the ass. I was in the same situation but with a rotary mag .223 ruger American in a magpul hunter. I have been waiting for magpul to get off their ass to release their AI mag to work with the small rifle cartridges, but they never ever meet their expected release dates. You can use one of the MDT mags, but it needs the longer feed lips so you have to contact them and ask. It is listed in the thread I posted later in this post. That is for the ruger American .223 in magpul hunter. I am going to assume it feeds the 300 blk out without issue also. Here is some excellent reading about this same issue.

I took a ruger AI style polymer precision magazine and modified it with a Dremel to work. It didn't sit high enough in the action to allow the American rifle to strip rounds from the mag. I had to cut the mag stops back and remove some of the outside of the lip contour to get it to seat deep enough to function. It now feeds without issue and it is my stopgap until Magpul finally gets off their ass and releases their AI .223 mag.