• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ruger kicking Remingtons A**

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I have always been a long time supporter of Remington. Remington is favorite in the Chevy vs Ford argument. But I have to say, for inexpensive guns, Ruger has stepped up their game and dominated Remington. The RPR has dominated the 1000-1200 platform. Ruger re-released the 9mm sp101, the pc Carbine and updated it. Now they just announced that the came out with a 22 caliber trainer.

I just recently shot the RPR in .308. Out of the box (after a few rounds to break in the barrel and to zero the scope) I shot a 3-shot group at 100 yds that you could easily cover with a dime. I was very impressed with that kind of accuracy out of the box. The ergonomics were also pretty well thought out (I do like the AR style safety selector).

Now the real questions is, can the RPR take the abuse that the Remingtons can in an operational setting and still perform as well. Remington definitely knows how to make a pretty tough rifle.

In terms of sales, Savage is putting the smack down on both Ruger and Remington. Who would have ever thought that could happen?

Yeah, Savage went from a small cult following to a full blown leader in the bolt action scene. But I think Ruger is gonna steal some of that business with the RPR. The RPR is a complete package with phenomenal accuracy. At the RPR price point, it would be difficult trying to match it with a build (barreled action, chassis, picatinny, muzzle brake). And I'm a huge Savage fan too, currently shooting a Savage 10 FCP SR.

I had the RPR and the tikka head to head. Similar accuracy, but I just wanted to smack Ruger about the mechanicals in the RPR compared to the T3x.

The t3x trigger is so well made nobody dares make an aftermarket single stage because it’s a waste of time. All of them I have seen were two stage.

All Ruger had to do was an extra finishing stage to remove the tool marks from their receiver and bolt and add a great two stage trigger and they would have kicked the ass of any sub $2k gun...

Tikka does make some fine riffles, maybe the slickest factory action I've handled. Would love to have one and see how it stacks up against my RPR head to head.

Reactions: Alan101
I just recently shot the RPR in .308. Out of the box (after a few rounds to break in the barrel and to zero the scope) I shot a 3-shot group at 100 yds that you could easily cover with a dime. I was very impressed with that kind of accuracy out of the box. The ergonomics were also pretty well thought out (I do like the AR style safety selector).

Now the real questions is, can the RPR take the abuse that the Remingtons can in an operational setting and still perform as well. Remington definitely knows how to make a pretty tough rifle.

“Operational Setting”

Gianteyeroll.gif.....

Reactions: 308pirate
I love this one too - I asked if I really needed “operationally tough” gear and figured that civilian grade stuff was the way to go to control cost.

Then the civvy grade “good enough” scope broke after a 10 hour drive to shoot with friends from college. And the civvy benchrest action failed in the sand. The civvy ar10 ate it when the bolt assembly started spitting metal shavings from th me gas ring/bore interface.

These days I try to stay mil-spec just because for most of it it breaks less often. Hell, I still send dead milspec stufd back to makers after it fails.

So yes - it can be pretentious to say “I need to be operational, high speed, and low drag with this shit while I go to my paper range and murder them tree products...”. But some of us just are tired of the breakage of the mostly untested civvy stuff...

“Operational Setting”

Gianteyeroll.gif.....

I love this one too - I asked if I really needed “operationally tough” gear and figured that civilian grade stuff was the way to go to control cost.

Then the civvy grade “good enough” scope broke after a 10 hour drive to shoot with friends from college. And the civvy benchrest action failed in the sand. The civvy ar10 ate it when the bolt assembly started spitting metal shavings from th me gas ring/bore interface.

These days I try to stay mil-spec just because for most of it it breaks less often. Hell, I still send dead milspec stufd back to makers after it fails.

So yes - it can be pretentious to say “I need to be operational, high speed, and low drag with this shit while I go to my paper range and murder them tree products...”. But some of us just are tired of the breakage of the mostly untested civvy stuff...

Civvy grade comes in two flavors: high quality and shit quality.

I don't have any "operational grade" (whatever the fuck that means) firearms or scopes yet none of them have ever failed me in use.

I also don't deliberately abuse what I own. Not saying that you do, but some people are just unreasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Remington going with Key-Mod rail is a poor idea. M-lok is a ton more popular. Kind of has the XD with a hammer feel. Way to put out a new product that is already behind the times. Maybe The new Apple iPhone 12 will have a “cutting edge dial”. ??‍♂️

My stuff gets treated somewhere in the middle. Night vision goes in a pelican case...most other things a soft case. Some things get fielded for hunting and most things are range time only.

Point is the military stuff goes through testing that instantly ages it 20 years in the market. So you can buy a military issue item that has been on the market for a few years and get an outcome more similar to a commercial item that is very mature. Doesn't always work out perfectly, but it does seem to reduce the bullshit levels some.

I have had some very high quality civilian stuff break on me and get sent back. And it is more similar to the failure rates of the mil issue but civilian market stuff like surefire lights etc.

Civvy grade comes in two flavors: high quality and shit quality.

I don't have any "operational grade" (whatever the fuck that means) firearms or scopes yet none of them have ever failed me in use.

I also don't deliberately abuse what I own. Not saying that you do, but some people are just unreasonable.

Been the Ruger type for many years and am a lil biased I must say. I do own one Remmy as well and is very accurate/reliable. New RPR takes the cake for an off the shelf shooter in my book. Has it all and is very customizable for even the novice shooter.

RPR in 6.5
IMG_0076.jpg

Reactions: magnumruger
Nice group, thing is my Ruger predator 6.5 has shot many groups just like that. I just bought a RPR 6mm and the whole time thinking damn twice the price for marginally, if at all accuracy increase. Granted the rpr is a higher quality rifle for sure and I'm sure/hope I will be happy with it.anyways those little predators that I've been around shoot damn good for sub $400 rifles.

Ruger's claim to fame is investment casting.

They do it very well but machined from forging is just a lot nicer.

The only Ruger I own is a Bearcat.

I don't need a Mini14 and I'm a bit skeptical of their bolt actions.

I know what they were going for with the RPR but the design is just weird.

I own two Remington's, an 1100 and a 41p. Both are nice although the roll mark engraving on the 1100 is a bit dated. The 41p might be the most accurate .22 I own which is odd considering that they sold for about $7 back in the 1930s.

I would probably own a 700 if I was more in to bolt actions and probably an 870 if Mossbergs weren't so cheap. I was looking for a Remington Mosin for a while but I settled on a New England Westinghouse.

I don't think Ruger was the first to make an accurate rifle in a chassis, they were just the first to do it cheap.

Remington might be trying to get in to the market but I'm more interested in Bergaras, Savages, the other imports and things like the PVA John Hancock.