Night Vision Russian night vision scope PN Gryphon/Griffon – search for info

PMB27

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2023
Poland
The device is quite vintage - perhaps that's why the info about it is so limited.

The KBI in one of the imported SVD set included the Russian Night Vision scope PN Gryphon/Griffon-1 [ Прицел ночной ПН <Гриф> ] :
KBI import SVD 1994 set - 31 199$.jpg

I wonder if the owner of that SVD set could share some information about that NV scope? Or perhaps there are forum members who can post some feedback about this scope if they have had experience with it?

Why am I asking? I happen to acquire the Russian night vision scope PN Gryphon-1, made in 1995. I did not really need it but the seller gave the price of 80 EUR ( about 85 $ ) - it would be a sin not to take advantage of such an opportunity.
PN Gryf-1.jpg

I am still waiting for the shipment to arrive and in the meantime I am trying to enlarge my knowledge about this scope. And it is not an easy task.

I was told that the Gryphon/Griffon scopes were manufactured from 1993 till 1995 in Novosibirsk by a private entity which was a subcontractor of the NPZ optics plant. It was supposed to be a design for the civilian market derived from the PN-1 night sight developed by NPZ ( in 1993 Russian hunters were allowed to use a night vision scopes for hunting purposes - so a market niche for such equipment opened up ).

The owner’s manual ( I managed to find a scan of the manual in the Net – I hope that the one attached to my scope will be in a good condition so I can read it ) says that the Gryphon-1 scope is intended for the Лось ( moose ) hunting rifle and therefore the mount is intended for an 11 mm rail ( but in my set there is also another mounting rail ). The Gryphon-1 model does not even have vertical and horizontal correction drums - corrections of the reticle, according to the manual, are to be made using the sight mounting screws :unsure:.

The Gryphon-2 version is equipped with the vertical and horizontal correction drums.
Gryf-1 - Gryf-2 - correction drums (II).jpg

If there are more detailed information about that scope I'll be more than happy to hear it.

Last edited: