• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

?s re a few low cost 22lr rifles

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
these would no doubt be labeled "cheap" here. OK not looking for vudoo,NF,kidd performance. these 3 check the boxes i am uses to decide. accuracy (10 shots into 1" @ 50 with sk st+ level ammo),wood stock,basic factory iron sights,detach mag fed,basic adj trigger,18-20" bbl,usual scope mounting,must be < $500 OTD
keystone 722 classic-just know the co due to giving crickets to gr grands,only pricey 7r mags,LOP only 13.25
ruger am- on pricey side for me,never been impressed with any ruger rifles i have owned. HGs another story,had fine 1s
savage B 22G-problems reported with proprietary mags & hard to find them
anyone owned,shot or observed 1,please tell me your thoughts or experiences. tx.

I'd stack discounts / buy gift cards and get a CZ 457 OTD @ $500.

No idea on the keystone 722...

Rugers are rugers. You may get a great one but will probably find it doesn't scratch an itch.

I know 2 shooters use savage 22's at our NRL22 matches. One's spent a lot of money on upgrades and still considering moving on from it.

Seriously, from someone who has a 22 "problem". . . I'd go with a CZ and upgrade as you decide or leave it stock.

Don't cut corners on shit cheap guns.

Guys are spending +$200 on bricks of ammo.
Screenshot_20240629_210527_Messenger.jpg

Ammo is gonna be really where your spending money long term if ya want any kind of decent performance. Even cheap crap CCI is +$60 a brick.

A brick a month (125rnds a week) using cheap ammo means in one year your gonna spending more than the gun costs by month 10.

Save your sheckles and get a good gun.

I have been pretty happy with my savage MKII - yes a cheap chintzy unrefined $250 rifle - that consistently shoots 1/2 inch or better at 50 yards- my choice is SK long range or Biathlon sport. It certainly has its limitations- not a smooth action to run, magazines marginal but for the price my pers better than anything else sub $500
If I had to do it again, I would definitely go CZ or tikka honestly.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
Was just put practicing yesterday and at 50 meters 10 shot groups within the size of a target paster were routine, a friend has a tikka, much easier to attain the same level of accuracy.with the savage you definitely have to work harder to get the same results

Which CZ 457?
There are quite a few different models

Since you mentioned you had a Tikka T1X is the CZ 457 that much of a huge better gun than the Tikka?
My Tikka and several I know have had feeding issues, even stock. An aftermarket barrel usually makes it worse. Tikka barrel changes are a pain. Glued in, needs heat to remove, held in with grub screws that are incredibly tight. Cheapest CZ with a match chamber. Barrelled action and an aftermarket chassis is the best way to go if the budget allows.

I'd buy four or five MKIIs, Tikkas, CZs etc and test them with a variety of ammo, keeping the best and flipping the rest if I was in the market for a tack driving 22.

I've gotten a few expensive lemons and one or two absolute gems for next to nothing. IMO, rimfires are a lot more of a crapshoot that centerfires.

Putting all my eggs in one basket just hasn't worked for me.

I'd buy four or five MKIIs, Tikkas, CZs etc and test them with a variety of ammo, keeping the best and flipping the rest if I was in the market for a tack driving 22.

I've gotten a few expensive lemons and one or two absolute gems for next to nothing. IMO, rimfires are a lot more of a crapshoot that centerfires.

Putting all my eggs in one basket just hasn't worked for me.
If someone were to do that then it makes sense just stop messing around and just go get a Vudoo, RimX or a Bergara. You will be a much happier camper.

these would no doubt be labeled "cheap" here. OK not looking for vudoo,NF,kidd performance. these 3 check the boxes i am uses to decide. accuracy (10 shots into 1" @ 50 with sk st+ level ammo),wood stock,basic factory iron sights,detach mag fed,basic adj trigger,18-20" bbl,usual scope mounting,must be < $500 OTD
keystone 722 classic-just know the co due to giving crickets to gr grands,only pricey 7r mags,LOP only 13.25
ruger am- on pricey side for me,never been impressed with any ruger rifles i have owned. HGs another story,had fine 1s
anyone owned,shot or observed 1,please tell me your thoughts or experiences. tx.
WTF! Is this Kamala Harris typing? Word salad special.

Capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, paragraphs? It's difficult to even determine what you are asking. If I deciphered it correctly, you want a cheap rifle that shoots like a quality rifle?

Might work on literacy, it will increase your employment opportunities and budget.

My Tikka and several I know have had feeding issues, even stock. An aftermarket barrel usually makes it worse. Tikka barrel changes are a pain. Glued in, needs heat to remove, held in with grub screws that are incredibly tight. Cheapest CZ with a match chamber. Barrelled action and an aftermarket chassis is the best way to go if the budget allows.
you don't need the match chamber to do what the OP needs. My 2 rifles (24" At-One and 20" Varmint) do what the OP wants.

DIP makes a pic rail if he doesn't want to spend Area 419 money. So do a few other places.

OP: 22s are persnickity with ammo. If you go CZ, you'll have to test a few to see what you particular rifle likes. I'd start with RWS or TAC22 since they're tested with RWS at the factory and TAC22 is made by RWS. Mine like SK Rifle Match, then Center X, then TAC22. TAC22 being least expensive so that's what I shoot normally. I still have a couple boxes of Rifle Match for matches

HTH
M

Reactions: Big Phish
I have figured it out. This is the mirror image of AI. It's AS. Artificial stupidity. Did not know it existed until now. :)

Have a Vudoo, 457 VPT, Anshutz, a few 10/22s a Savage Mk2. And others.

- Love the Vudoo—favorite and a laser (also has a Modicam 1.25 pipe on it). Eats a lot of c-x.
-457; works like a champ. Pretty accurate, but not eye watering (factory 16”). My older 452 American edges it out. To be fair, have not fully ammo tested it yet.
-10/22s from Kidd stuff to stock…takes a lot more work and notorious for gouging ammo on loading into chamber. But still have them and my favorite can shooters.
-Savage—rough finish, in a Boyds wood stock (so that cost me a little extra), cycles ok, and I have had to reshape and tinker with the extractor. But for $225 (plastic stock), boy can that joker shoot. Especially 50 and in…many bricks of CCI sv. If you can live with all of that and are not worried about what your friends will say, cost to group size “ratio” is pretty impressive. And it comes with a threaded barrel.

Buy the Savage, if you don't like it, or it does not meet your needs, you are only out the cost of a brick of C-x.

ZY